Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
since they won't let me play a MP match as i keep getting disconnected at the beginning of every game, i'll post close ups of tutorial gameplay MP 60fps Drake who does not look as good as SP 30fps cutscenes, boo !

http://i.imgur.com/htfLBXz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/inVNaGy.jpg
Besides the dithering artifacts, it looks as good as the singleplayer game play captures I shared back on page 100 in terms of shading and polygons. This is still impressive considering your screens were captured on consumer hardware and at 60 fps to boot : )

i know a lot of people make a big deal of 900P but i must admit UC4 beta and battlefront have proved to be more pleasing to my eyes than a lot of 1080p games, and i play less than to meters away from a 55" LED TV.

since they won't let me play a MP match as i keep getting disconnected at the beginning of every game, i'll post close ups of tutorial gameplay MP 60fps Drake who does not look as good as SP 30fps cutscenes, boo !

http://i.imgur.com/htfLBXz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/inVNaGy.jpg

Needs more drakeface (meme). In fact, I'd prefer it if they "downgraded" the model just for that.

e.g.
UTvNYnO.jpg
hJKOcZa.jpg

No one said completely different rendering tech, i think everyone is talking about improvements. The most obvious is the gif i posted above, exact same scene, exact same frame, two completely different scenes tonally. And that's from E3 some months ago from a build whoever knows how old right now. Expecting various small improvements before release is just simple, normal procedure by every dev for all games not just ND and Uncharted. It's disrespectful towards the people currently working their ass off at ND to say they've done or will do nothing to improve the game before release. And yes, the PSX 2015 footage looks the best out of everything they've showed, again, that is not surprising. And like i said, i'll update the exact same scene at release to see what's changed and what is not.

That's not disrespectful at all. The game already looked incredible from the start. Their work was already put through it's paces evidenced by their talk at the Siggraph and the PSX. It's not like they had junk from the beginning. The main part of tech is done early on in development, so it's not surprising that you won't see some HUGE night/day change within the last 6 months of development. Look at DICE and Battlefront. Many people refused to believe that the early footage they showed was in-game. It turns out over a year later that it was. Nothing changed. It looks just as it did back then.

Last edited:
Judging by the ingame shots, I'd say that some things are quite clear:
- skin shading has been improved a lot, looks a lot less vaxy in recent ingame cinematics footage
- Drake's hair is definitely new and tweaked in geometry, and hair shading also works a lot better in general
- polishing assets is standard in any game, especially for hero characters
- MP shots demonstrate that SP uses far more advanced shaders and lighting, but asset quality is still very high
- promo shots are almost certainly not realtime rendered, could also possibly be using offline renders of assets; but the game is still quite impressive in SP so it's possible it's still in-engine
- as for realism, UC is obviously stylized and not aiming for 100% photorealism; I think the right term is hyper-real, meaning it's a stylized version of reality, like in the FFTSW movie, building on top of photorealism

I'm not sure what's there to argue about. Artistic choices are a matter of taste; asset quality and engine capabilities are however fairly straight matters and UC4 is clearly good at these and there is perceptible progression in the publicly released material.

This thread took a funny turn, how long till modded Skyrim starts showing up :LOL:

A totally irrelevant gif
1_1ljp3orhjkh.gif

This is a good example image IMHO.

Stuff I'd say has been changed:
- textures reworked; maybe just wrinkle maps on the face
- skin shading reworked: skin details more visible, probably because of diffuse component being stronger compared to SSS component now
- eyelash transparency reworked, eye reflections sharper
- hair reworked; perhaps just the shaders, but probably even hair and eyebrow geo and textures
- the tattoo on the neck has moved, it's probably because of skinning/deformation changes; the change of shapes on his right side also suggests a geometry difference which supports this

These changes are probably a combined result of asset tweaks and renderer/shader (code) tweaks. These may be subtle, but I'd say that they improve the results significantly. All about moving from 80-90% there to 95-9x% there, which is usually the hardest part to do.

There are also more obvious changes like the shirt texture or the background, but these are more about art direction, with the goal of separating the character from the background (hair and bg were both dark, blurring the silhouette; now there's clear contrast).

- as for realism, UC is obviously stylized and not aiming for 100% photorealism; I think the right term is hyper-real, meaning it's a stylized version of reality, like in the FFTSW movie, building on top of photorealism
What part is stylized in U4, specifically?

FFTSW contains a lot of sci-fi elements but it was clearly going for photorealism in its rendering style. Now of course it looks dated but at the time it was the best there was.

This is a good example image IMHO.

Stuff I'd say has been changed:
- textures reworked; maybe just wrinkle maps on the face
- skin shading reworked: skin details more visible, probably because of diffuse component being stronger compared to SSS component now
- eyelash transparency reworked, eye reflections sharper
- hair reworked; perhaps just the shaders, but probably even hair and eyebrow geo and textures
- the tattoo on the neck has moved, it's probably because of skinning/deformation changes; the change of shapes on his right side also suggests a geometry difference which supports this

These changes are probably a combined result of asset tweaks and renderer/shader (code) tweaks. These may be subtle, but I'd say that they improve the results significantly. All about moving from 80-90% there to 95-9x% there, which is usually the hardest part to do.

There are also more obvious changes like the shirt texture or the background, but these are more about art direction, with the goal of separating the character from the background (hair and bg were both dark, blurring the silhouette; now there's clear contrast).
Are you sure you're don't have it backwards? The screenshot with the more visible skin details (particularly the pores) is from PSX, last year's PSX. The more recent screenshot in that comparison, E3 2015, is the one with a stronger SSS component compared to the diffuse and a waxier skin look as a result.

First thing is first for the blind people. Single player in game model vs multi, this is not rocket science it's pure common sense. I'll weep for anyone who still thinks they're the same.
Cutscene model
oAQOxmS.jpg

In game model SP
lEn1KyX.jpg

In game model MP
htfLBXz.jpg

The texture res alone is a world of difference between the SP and MP, notice how the cutscene texture res, shader complexity and the mesh detail are of the same but both are much better than MP's.
We don't even have high quality screens of the latest demo but the lighting and shading are already better than the E3 2015's.

We can't say for sure till we have the game and compare the two but yes, that's my impression as well; That a lot of things have been tweaked/improved since E3. The easiest one to spot is water reflections, which had a lot of problems in the E3 demo. And i think the MP models are great in general, much higher quality when compared to the Uncharted 2/3 SP -> MP downgraded models and that's at twice the framerate from SP.

Tried to make a comparison between Drake model in PSX 2014 and MP Beta, it's very hard to get 1:1 lighting conditions and camera though:

model-drake-comparisopzjnt.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back