Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing is first for the blind people. Single player in game model vs multi, this is not rocket science it's pure common sense. I'll weep for anyone who still thinks they're the same.
Cutscene model
oAQOxmS.jpg

In game model SP
lEn1KyX.jpg

In game model MP
htfLBXz.jpg

The texture res alone is a world of difference between the SP and MP, notice how the cutscene texture res, shader complexity and the mesh detail are of the same but both are much better than MP's.
We don't even have high quality screens of the latest demo but the lighting and shading are already better than the E3 2015's.
SP scenes are from cut scenes. I wouldnt be surprised if once the game switches to gameplay it will also switch to a significantly lower LOD for the character.

First thing is first for the blind people. Single player in game model vs multi, this is not rocket science it's pure common sense. I'll weep for anyone who still thinks they're the same.

Nah, I think its the same model, just different lighting condition. Pretty much portal 2 quality level for me...

-Is that how you are supposed to talk in this thread?-

I'd bloody well hope they would switch models when I'm playing just looking at Drake's back. All those resources can go towards other things while we actually play and the model is further away from view.
When the camera is far from Drake they can do whatever they want. They d better have the highest LOD when I zoom in the camera to Drake though :devilish:

This is the model in the menu of the beta(the menu runs at 60 fps):
uncharted4multiplayerefkit.jpg

uncharted4multiplayerm5kfi.jpg

Also something i haven't seen anyone mentioning, there're some skins for the "bad" guys that have snow gear:
uncharted4multiplayerjgk1c.jpg

Maybe Uncharted 4 will have snow after all?

Last edited:
For the last entry of Nathan Drake in the series I'd hope they include as many different locales as possible on a global trot :). As good as their character models are, it's the stunningly realized environment in a UC game that really grabs me.

Nah, I think its the same model, just different lighting condition. Pretty much portal 2 quality level for me...

-Is that how you are supposed to talk in this thread?-
ultragpu was right, it's almost CGI quality. Someone should tell ILM to unplug their server farm and go down to the local Walmart and pick up the PS4 for savings : p

Are you sure you're don't have it backwards? The screenshot with the more visible skin details (particularly the pores) is from PSX, last year's PSX. The more recent screenshot in that comparison, E3 2015, is the one with a stronger SSS component compared to the diffuse and a waxier skin look as a result.

Interesting. In that case I don't like the changes there :)

Not gonna start arguing about art styles. Hyper real is not photorealistic, FYI.

So motion and facial capture are now unrealistic? Every object in the videos has the same proportions they would have in the real world, from basic props all the way to major buildings and that includes the characters.

How is this guy unrealistic?

FXwWf2.png

Their dev videos all state that they hand animate all facial expressions, only using the facial captures as reference. All his expressions are stylised/exagerrated (even in TLOU). Body mocap is used as such for sure, but look at how the characters jump, slide or use gestures: all exagerated and cartoonish. Do you think anyone emotes like Sully does ...or even Nate ! They are caricatured versions of real ppl.
All foliage, all stones, all objects, all character proportions/ silhouttes have an art style to their shapes, outlines, very easy to see. They are al cartoony in shape, in the way they are hand painted. You can see the difference very clearly if u go back nd play UC2/3 now, now that we have realism in other games.

What is consistently realistic is the shaders. Even lighting in the actual game is colourful and unrealistic. Only promo character renders they released had realistic lighting.

No wonder it looks one of a kind and touches yet does not touch the uncanny valley.

EDIT: oops just saw the whole thread is going pretty crazy. C'mon guys, Elena is back :love: lets all behave :yep2: !

Last edited:
Interesting. In that case I don't like the changes there :)
DOWNGRADE CONFIRMED!11 :LOL:

Not gonna start arguing about art styles. Hyper real is not photorealistic, FYI.
Indeed, hyperrealism tries to be more realistic than photorealism ;)

Their dev videos all state that they hand animate all facial expressions, only using the facial captures as reference. All his expressions are stylised/exagerrated (even in TLOU). Body mocap is used as such for sure, but look at how the characters jump, slide or use gestures: all exagerated and cartoonish. Do you think anyone emotes like Sully does ...or even Nate ! They are caricatured versions of real ppl.
All foliage, all stones, all objects, all character proportions/ silhouttes have an art style to their shapes, outlines, very easy to see. They are al cartoony in shape, in the way they are hand painted. You can see the difference very clearly if u go back nd play UC2/3 now, now that we have realism in other games.

What is consistently realistic is the shaders. Even lighting in the actual game is colourful and unrealistic. Only promo character renders they released had realistic lighting.

No wonder it looks one of a kind and touches yet does not touch the uncanny valley.

EDIT: oops just saw the whole thread is going pretty crazy. C'mon guys, Elena is back :love: lets all behave :yep2: !

Their goal is realism, as explained at 3m19s into the video. The guy states plainly at 9m35s that the choice to hand animate the faces isn't due to artistic reasons, but practical ones (the tech sucked at the time).

Gameplay animation isn't as realistic as in cutscenes because they're still using the awful floaty animation system from their PS3 games. Emotes are a special case, so yeah, they can be cartoony.

Every object in the game from the smallest prop to the biggest building has perfectly realistic proportions, nothing stylish about their silhouettes:

image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-28644-2995_0012.jpg

image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-28644-2995_0020.jpg

I thought the stylish part was the color palette, but more specifically I think it's the texturing. Even though the goal is realism in the surfaces (as explained around the half-way point in this video), the textures are hand painted so they're not as convincing as those games that use photo-references.

DOWNGRADE CONFIRMED!11 :LOL:

Indeed, hyperrealism tries to be more realistic than photorealism ;)

Their goal is realism, as explained at 3m19s into the video. The guy states plainly at 9m35s that the choice to hand animate the faces isn't due to artistic reasons, but practical ones (the tech sucked at the time).

Gameplay animation isn't as realistic as in cutscenes because they're still using the awful floaty animation system from their PS3 games. Emotes are a special case, so yeah, they can be cartoony.

Every object in the game from the smallest prop to the biggest building has perfectly realistic proportions, nothing stylish about their silhouettes:

image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-28644-2995_0012.jpg

image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-28644-2995_0020.jpg

I thought the stylish part was the color palette, but more specifically I think it's the texturing. Even though the goal is realism in the surfaces (as explained around the half-way point in this video), the textures are hand painted so they're not as convincing as those games that use photo-references.
Careful before they think we're even more crazy.

Those game play captures looks a console generation or two beyond anything.

A reminder, we like the look of the game too guys : )

You can actually aim and throw grenades mid-air

YearlyTimelyHomalocephale.gif

They've really nailed down the feel of the game and the gameplay mechanics imo. I am loving every second of the beta (except when i get mobed by brutes and djin/shotgun dudes teleporting all over the map).

People will be pissed if she's not in the game. I don't think there's a chance of that happening though :smile:
If the cast list on IMDB can be relied upon for being final at this point then she's not in the game. Claudia Black's been filming two TV series this year which would leave no time for Uncharted 4.

I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Chloe in the campaign :nope:

If the cast list on IMDB can be relied upon for being final at this point then she's not in the game. Claudia Black's been filming two TV series this year which would leave no time for Uncharted 4.

I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Chloe in the campaign :nope:

That would be weird considering how much fan service the game seems to include.

That would be weird considering how much fan service the game seems to include.

They're bringing back Elena and Sully and introducing Sam and Nadine (the character that Laura Bailey is voicing), Uncharted has never had or needed a huge cast. Perhaps Chloe was intended to be part of the original story but with the departure of Amy Hennig and the script re-write which resulted in the whole thing being pushed back, she could not fit it with everything else this year.,

I'm certainly not expecting to see her nor Cutter - Graham McTavish has had a super busy year.

There are logistical reasons for drake's highest detail model not being used in MP. They make many of those models, not just for release, but also through the multiplayer's lifetime as they release extra content. Making a fully detailed model takes a lot of time, and ND has only reserved that time for Drake and a dozen or so other main characters. They have no time for that in MP.

I don't understand why UC MP needs 60Hz?

Due to the animations, the game feels so indirekt in comparison to e.g. Destiny.

Why even borther with 60Hz?

Furthermore, isn't in online MP lag way higher than fps anyway, even with good connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back