UK PS3 - Does it have a 60hz option?

Reading the Wiki (which is dangerous I know ;) ) it seems all of Europe are using 50 for broadcasts. But as you say, devs shouldn't really have to bother with it as it is more work for absolutely no gain.
Theres a good reason for 50Hz in Europe. Its to do with lighting, the studio use 50Hz power which if then played back at 60Hz strobes... So live recordings should always match the power rating of the studio it was recorded in... unless you use expensive rigs that nobody wants to pay for or something like that...

For games being CG it doesn't matter so Sony don't support HD 50Hz, all HD games run at 60Hz.

So our HDTV over here support both...

Did anyone hear get a PAL PS3 and Virtua Fighter 5? If so, what was the 50hz 576i mode like, did it judder like Ridge 7, or run slower than the US and JP versions?

Is it worth simply putting down the cash for a US machine instead for 60hz 480i/p, considering the difficulties in buying games from the PS Store, and the fact that Sony may patch PAL PS3's to resolve the issue.

Theres a good reason for 50Hz in Europe. Its to do with lighting, the studio use 50Hz power which if then played back at 60Hz strobes... So live recordings should always match the power rating of the studio it was recorded in... unless you use expensive rigs that nobody wants to pay for or something like that...
You know that only old flourescent tubes produce the strobe effect? I believe any FT nowadays has electronics to switch poles several hundred times a second, even if not, getting one isnt really a problem or associated with expensive costs.
Or you could just use regular light bulbs which arent affected either and produce better light anyways.

I'm not even so sure anymore if that had been part of the question, but PS2 games running on the PS3 can do all kinds of output signals. Jak 3 can output 50Hz PAL, 60Hz NTSC and even some form of progressive scan just fine, on my PS3 connected via HDMI.

The PS3 itself, you know, when it is itself, in its native games, definitely does 60Hz. This is the HD era after all, and every proper HD resolution is 60Hz by default.

You know that only old flourescent tubes produce the strobe effect? I believe any FT nowadays has electronics to switch poles several hundred times a second, even if not, getting one isnt really a problem or associated with expensive costs.
Or you could just use regular light bulbs which arent affected either and produce better light anyways.
Studio lights are generally florescent and are affected by this problem alot. We're not talking about a couple of 10 quid lights, but massive recording studio light rigs that cost a fortune (many thousands).

HD-Ready is 50Hz because of this... it was easier to modify the TV standard than change the studios through Europe.

Back