UE5 Timeline; When will other games release using Unreal Engine 5? *spawn*

I'm fairly sure that's a typo, first because of the way it's written (full release later in 2021 vs. full release in late 2021 which would be a more proper phrasing AFAIK), and second because more than one Epic official has stated later, not late.
It's not a typo, if it was Epic would have noticed every single news piece quoting that schedule and corrected it.

All I can add is, if you're trying to sell a new version of your highly utilized commercial engine, it helps for you to get input during development from other developers other than your own on how it fits into their development pipeline. I don't doubt devs at Microsoft have previews of UE5. Sony definitely does as this was originally supposed to debut at GDC running on PS5 Dev kits.

I'm fairly sure that's a typo, first because of the way it's written (full release later in 2021 vs. full release in late 2021 which would be a more proper phrasing AFAIK),

I'm sure it's not a typo. It fits general release timelines.
  • Release early access beta / alphas [early 2021]
  • Release your own game on it [ mid 2021]
  • Fix any found or reported bugs from your own game release
  • Full Release of finalized version with field tested bug fixes [late 2021]

Screenshot from Epic's Official page @ https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/a-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5, to see if wording changes later on...

UE5_Late_2021.PNG

I can't wait to see UE5 put in good use next year in Fortnite...and its famous hundreds of polygons to process and display simultaneously in the same frame. :LOL:
hey hey hey!
it's gonna be next gen! it can happen, you never know!

I looked it up.

According to Unreal Engine subreddit, UE5’s early alpha has been delayed to Summer while UE5 Preview (where Lumen and Nanite are currently said to be production ready) has been delayed to end of the year (Preview was supposed to be out around now)
Bummer.

See this on era, it seems UE 5 is late.

So with the preview being pushed back to end of 2021, that means early to mid 2022 for full release most likely. Possibly later.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/graphic-fidelity-i-expect-next-gen.184101/post-64202199

By a character artist, his team is testing Unreal Engine 5

You will absolutely see, games equal to and better than that ue5 tech demo in a few years, there's more stuff on the way that will make building complex geo easier and faster. Pipelines and tech aren't static, there's constantly new things coming, just because something is difficult or not feasible today, doesn't mean in will be a year from now.

UE5 is already out in the wild and getting tested, it's a buggy mess, but it's being tested.

so first games close to ps6 release ?

The engine is tested by multiples teams. I think it will be ok. I don't expect Ue 5 games before end of 2022/2023.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/graphic-fidelity-i-expect-next-gen.184101/post-61514239

He said in march UE5 was already tested.

Those aren't even close, still 4k textures..even the highest lods are like 50k? Nothing in comparison to millions. Light and shadows in every crevice. Normal maps while a good cheat can only do so much. They still look muddy, as much as i love tomb raider and last of us..not anywhere close..and it's factually not debatable, not a matter of opinion but you're of course free to have yours.You'll see some scenes in tentpole movies rendered with ue5. It's a playable demo running code in the background...being tested on ps5 devkits as we speak.

Last edited:
if release stable version is 2022 I can't see first game taking real advantage of it before 2024

What do you mean by real advantage?

Just switching over to Lumen should be a benefit for plenty of titles, both visually and production wise. That should be similar to Exodus''s efforts to switch over it's lighting.

Leveraging Nanite should be a problem of art pipeline as much as anything, so that might take longer. Even there, toggling Nanite on rigid objects, have everything at it's highest LOD and then doing a further 'moar objects' pass should still give good short term results?

It's not like UE5 is a new engine. As they've described it, Nanite and Lumen are just new features.

What do you mean by real advantage?

Just switching over to Lumen should be a benefit for plenty of titles, both visually and production wise. That should be similar to Exodus''s efforts to switch over it's lighting.

Leveraging Nanite should be a problem of art pipeline as much as anything, so that might take longer. Even there, toggling Nanite on rigid objects, have everything at it's highest LOD and then doing a further 'moar objects' pass should still give good short term results?

It's not like UE5 is a new engine. As they've described it, Nanite and Lumen are just new features.
to develop game that use nanite and lumen at it core, not just update engine from ue4 to ue5 and recompile

to develop game that use nanite and lumen at it core, not just update engine from ue4 to ue5 and recompile

What do you think the ground up approach delivers over transitioned titles that are beginning/mid production now (not asking in a hostile way, just curious)?

What do you think the ground up approach delivers over transitioned titles that are beginning/mid production now (not asking in a hostile way, just curious)?
that it will be used :D if you have some resolution that work you probably won't rewrite from ground as it costs time/budget etc

I suppose team did not begin to test the engine in March 2021 but since last year or maybe end of 2019.

Last edited:
that it will be used :D if you have some resolution that work you probably won't rewrite from ground as it costs time/budget etc

:)

I think Lumen will be. Exodus EE shows much of an upgrade global dynamic GI is. It's should be a relatively cheap, fast way to make your game look a bit more nextgen in 2022.

Nanite doesn't automatically give every statue teeth with modelled grooves, but having everything at the highest LOD and giving the option of a chucking essentially as many extra objects in a scene as devs like will give some good results I think.

I don't expect any big budget games to leverage more dynamic environments, er, ever really. $$$ game design is too conservative by necessity. :???:

:)

I think Lumen will be. Exodus EE shows much of an upgrade global dynamic GI is. It's should be a relatively cheap, fast way to make your game look a bit more nextgen in 2022.

Nanite doesn't automatically give every statue teeth with modelled grooves, but having everything at the highest LOD and giving the option of a chucking essentially as many extra objects in a scene as devs like will give some good results I think.

I don't expect any big budget games to leverage more dynamic environments, er, ever really. $$$ game design is too conservative by necessity. :???:
Yup.

Also if it's as easy to use as virtual textures as was implied, it will be used just to get rid of the possible extra work and worries that LoDs might cause.
If they can skip Low/High poly bake for some objects, it would be awesome.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unreal-engine-5-was-unvealed-over-a-year-ago.427775/post-65257370

It is indeed pushed to August September in the current timeline. It's possible that could be pushed back even further. There was a pretty significant refactor of slate for ue5, so all plugins with a UI component had to be rewritten. Additionally many more engine components have been reimplemented as plugins which of course creates issues when one module depends on another.

I don't see the preview coming out after 2021 though. Epic is pretty adamant about getting the engine in the hands of developers this year. There's just a lot of stuff to fix.

If you're a current ue4 developer, don't expect your plugins to work or be compiled quickly. While all of my blueprints were intact, a lot of my c++ had to be adjusted for the stricter structure. I spent a good couple hours adjusting third party plugins to get them to compile and even removed some because I couldn't be bothered to fix the myriad issues not present when compiling the plugins on ue4.

This is not a condemnation of ue5. Far from. I work with Epic. Ue5 is very exciting to me. But as developers using the engine we should keep the expectations in line with reality. It likely won't be super useful to ue4 developers until 2022.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unreal-engine-5-was-unvealed-over-a-year-ago.427775/post-65257736

Another interesting post about the engine.

Back