UBI talks Far Cry 2 engine

they used PS3 footage in the review and it looked good. i only mention this because there has been next to no ps3 footage so far.

edit: nm, they used both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted to get it for PS3 because I can get a subscription for a BD-cover magazine (which is convenient, I frequently bought them so far because it's nice to have the demos 'backed-up' on them and not have to download them at all). The magazine is cheap enough already, but then for a year's subscription I can get this game for 25 euro less than in-store. But we'll see, not in a hurry yet. ;)

Wow. game is lovely and the well honed shooter aspects combined with the GTA-like open world nature are a winner in my book

Eurogamer review is up. I didn't see it posted on this page or the last.

It's a bit wordy (who has time to read in this age of the microwave?), so I skipped to the end.

8/10.

EDIT: The review was posted on Tues so you've probably all seen it. As I said before, who has time to read... :(

Eurogamer review is up. I didn't see it posted on this page or the last.

It's a bit wordy (who has time to read in this age of the microwave?), so I skipped to the end.

8/10.

EDIT: The review was posted on Tues so you've probably all seen it. As I said before, who has time to read... :(

8 at eurogamer is considerably very good !

Been playing the 360 version all day...

To me it's a bit like GTA4 in Africa, but where the combat is actually enjoyable. So far I'm having more fun than I did with GTA, but I can see scope for some of it becoming a bit dull... Things like I seem unable to just drive through a checkpoint slowly without getting attacked, so you have to take out every checkpoint you come across, only to generally have the enemies return on your next time through the same point. Gets a bit tiresome.

In general though I'm loving it. Wasn't so taken with the multiplayer, but i haven;t given it much time yet. Don't think it'll be knocking Battlefield Bad Company off my most played multiplayer spot. That said, the map editor is amazing and i had great fun just designing a map for a couple of hours.

I played the PS3 version for about 6 hours straight yesterday and I really enjoy it. The constant re-population of the guard stations gets a bit annoying after a while, and I wish there were at least a few people in the game that didn't want to murder me. Where the hell are all the civilians? Wouldn't it be fun to protect a defenseless village from the ruthless militia for a change (or be an ass and pillage the village yourself instead)
The game has a such an interesting and politically charged setting, yet it doesn't seem to do anything with it and plays it way too safe.

On the other hand the game's a god sent for a pyromaniac like myself and oh boy is it pretty to look at. Ubi Montreal really did a kick ass job with the Dunia engine: FC2 is a smooth, detailed, varied and exceptionally clean looking game. Hardly any aliasing worth mentioning, and on the PS3 no less.

I played the PS3 version for about 6 hours straight yesterday and I really enjoy it. The constant re-population of the guard stations gets a bit annoying after a while, and I wish there were at least a few people in the game that didn't want to murder me. Where the hell are all the civilians? Wouldn't it be fun to protect a defenseless village from the ruthless militia for a change (or be an ass and pillage the village yourself instead)
The game has a such an interesting and politically charged setting, yet it doesn't seem to do anything with it and plays it way too safe.

On the other hand the game's a god sent for a pyromaniac like myself and oh boy is it pretty to look at. Ubi Montreal really did a kick ass job with the Dunia engine: FC2 is a smooth, detailed, varied and exceptionally clean looking game. Hardly any aliasing worth mentioning, and on the PS3 no less.

No framerate problems?

From the sounds of it you run into civilians in need of protection when you start doing missions for the underground.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the guard posts/checkpoints tiresome - it should at least take a couple of days to repopulate it in my opinion, plus it'd be nice to have the ability to just drive through. I wasn't aware even in the most corrupt corners of africa that such checkpoints opened fire on sight! They at least try to get money off you first. Even if you try to run a checkpoint they'll hop in their vehicles and chase you, so you end up having to kill them anyway.

Further to that, road rage in far cry 2 is even worse than London. If you ever come across another car, if it's a technical (ie truck with gun on back) you had best get busy blasting because they'll open fire without provocation. If it's a "normal" vehicle then they'll crash into you, hop out and then start shooting. What ever happened to good manners eh?

Those are my only major gripes so far, for the rest it's a beautiful game, the combat is fun and did i mention it was beautiful?

From looking at the first 10 (or 20) minutes video on Gamersyde, I think it looks very impressive, creating a great atmosphere. I'll be sure to want to try this game sometime. Maybe not necessarily soon, but eventually certainly.

Back