UBI talks Far Cry 2 engine

:smile: It's from the 360's port of the game.

Strange, since there is a Vista loading icon there. At 0:30 in first video when the assets are loaded into mapeditor there is a Vista loading icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
All versions of the game feature the same loading icon. I saw it during some of the earlier videos, when they were showing off different versions of the editor.

Besides, there's two things that give it away. First, the control... you can tell that he's aiming with a controller and not a mouse (unless he's got a 360 controller hooked up to his PC, but.. why?). Secondly, and more importantly, notice the performance meter in the top-right corner. Only the consoles have that, because PCs are too scalable for it to be any use. None of the videos I've seen of the PC editor feature any kind of meter.. you simply add stuff until it becomes unplayable.

I'm hoping to pick this one up tomorrow, but I haven't received the call from Gamestop yet.

All versions of the game feature the same loading icon. I saw it during some of the earlier videos, when they were showing off different versions of the editor.

Indeed, and even more impressive seeing the xbo360 not really choke (looking at load bar) on the most explosions. Now its an empty level and judging by fullsize screenshots from editor on PC version it lacks several tech effects in Crysis explosions etc but it still great.

Will be interesting to see the same scene setup in the editor between PS3 and xbox360 and see what the perfomance bar shows (first console ~benchmark?). :p

Yes, I was thinking that. Trouble is without some clarification on how the bar works, the engine works, etc., I fear it'll lead to silly arguments and unfair comparisons.

Yes, I was thinking that. Trouble is without some clarification on how the bar works, the engine works, etc., I fear it'll lead to silly arguments and unfair comparisons.

True. But my impression from different videos is that when marker goes into yellow it starts with slight dips in framerate and in red zone it tears and stutters quite a bit. The more into the yellow/red area the more its pronounced.

nice guys...will those mass physics be also available in the PS3 version of the game ? thanks for the video Cyan...

nice guys...will those mass physics be also available in the PS3 version of the game ? thanks for the video Cyan...

I don't think you'll have to worry about that too much. It's the one area where PS3 ports are generally not lacking.

Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but Gamersyde had some impressions of Far Cry 2.

http://gamersyde.com/news_7238_en.html
After this brief presentation we were thrown into multiplayer matches on Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. We played the usual Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag - where the flag is actually replaced by diamonds. Nothing really innovative, which might disappoint some of you guys, but it still is effective and what's more, very pleasant as the game runs very smoothly on every system. The maps were obviously smaller than what you find in the campaign but there still is room for fun. We found some of the weapons were maybe not precise enough sometimes but overall you get the job done in no pain - if you're not the one burning to death that is. The different guns don't have a lot of ammo though so you'll often need to get to the closest supply point before you're shot like a dog. Still talking about the weapons, you get the classic package but it's always nice to burn down everything - everyone? - with a flame thrower. Be careful not to get... fired yourself.

That's it for today. I will simply add that we couldn't really see any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions apart from the fact that we find Microsoft's controller much easier to handle in FPS but you might beg to differ. We're hoping to offer you some 720p footage of the game as soon as next week and maybe give you our first impressions of the mysterious campaign mode. Word on the street is that it turns out to be really good so we'll just have to wait and see. Don't hesitate to ask us questions if you feel like it, we'll try to answer if possible.

1457_0002.jpg

where are all the reviews for FC2? isn't today the release date? there hardly any.

anyway, ordered the PS3 from Dell... can't wait.

Im sorry if this has been covered, but is there an install for the PS3 and how big is it?

picked up the PS3 version today, played for an hour on the 46" LCD, the game is looking sharp and beautiful, and most importantly, runs butter smooth. i love how the fire propagates and incinerate the vegetations surrounding it. the gun control is abit stiff, still prefer COD4's the best. other than that im in love with just about everything else in the game.

It scores 8.5/10 at Gamespot...but the review is very weird because they could hardly tell that what was wrong with this game :/

The Goods :
Incredible amount of freedom to approach each mission 50 square kilometers of visually stunning African landscape Hefty single-player campaign should take at least 30 hours Diverse reward and upgrade systems feed off each other very well Robust map editor on all three versions.

The Bads:
Story does very little with politically-charged setting Traveling for long stretches can become tedious.

Back