UBI talks Far Cry 2 engine

I got it on PC last night, but I guess the game's the same on all platforms. As for me, the game feels stupid :devilish: ! The AI is so ridiculous that every firefight seems like a burden to be completed rather than a competition to be enjoyed. As soon as you cross a checkpost, 2 guys will come straight from the front in a jeep and ram you. Everytime its the same and there is no intention to kill, the first objective seems to be to draw a straight line between them and you and ram you. Then they get slaughtered by my turret!

The game feels stupid to me as of now, specially after playing 4 hours of Crysis, this felt like a joke to me.
The voice acting is pathetic, Quarbani Singh seems to just say stuff as fast as he can as if the voice actor had other things to do and wanted to leave the studio !.

I feel bad as of now, lets see if the game picks up, but all the planning you do before a fight seems meaningless once the brainless enemy encounters you :( !

I got it on PC last night, but I guess the game's the same on all platforms. As for me, the game feels stupid :devilish: ! The AI is so ridiculous that every firefight seems like a burden to be completed rather than a competition to be enjoyed. As soon as you cross a checkpost, 2 guys will come straight from the front in a jeep and ram you. Everytime its the same and there is no intention to kill, the first objective seems to be to draw a straight line between them and you and ram you. Then they get slaughtered by my turret!

The game feels stupid to me as of now, specially after playing 4 hours of Crysis, this felt like a joke to me.
The voice acting is pathetic, Quarbani Singh seems to just say stuff as fast as he can as if the voice actor had other things to do and wanted to leave the studio !.

I feel bad as of now, lets see if the game picks up, but all the planning you do before a fight seems meaningless once the brainless enemy encounters you :( !

I agree 100% I really can`t see what all the fuss is about. I got bored very quickly which is a shame as the vast majority of reviews painted it as an exellent title. But i guess its true what they say in that the only review that matters is you own.

The game opens up more as you progress though the story. I agree that it plays rather weak in the beginning, but by the end I was quite satisfied with the experience.

I agree 100% I really can`t see what all the fuss is about. I got bored very quickly which is a shame as the vast majority of reviews painted it as an exellent title. But i guess its true what they say in that the only review that matters is you own.

What's odd is that it seems to share many of the complaints Assassin's Creed has: namely, repetitiveness. You'd have thought that Ubi Montreal would have learned.

What's odd is that it seems to share many of the complaints Assassin's Creed has: namely, repetitiveness.

not at all.

actually. what I think people are missing is that you can play this any way you want. If it's repetitive it's due to lack of creativity on the player.

as kyle said, as you progress the game feels much better, much of it having to do with the weapons getting better, the story and MY play getting better. the buddy system is pretty cool as well. The game keeps you completely immersed in the world.

there just so damned many ways to attack an objective and the world is so open that you can make the game as interesting as you want and play it in so many ways.
great game if you allow yourself to take advantage of the open world and the different way challenges are set up for you to take them down.

I got that Assassin's Creed vibe from the start of the game as well, formulamatic and repetitive. I was telling my firends the game wasn't worth more than a rent, but that changed before the end of Act 1, and from there it far surpassed my orignal expectations.

Hmmm..... I will keep pushing on for a few hours more, I guess, if the game better get better soon, I can't stand it the way it is right now.

I am trying different stuff while attacking a situation, but as of now:

1) I don't know what kindof terrain the mission is in unless I get there, but then I have to choose my weapons earlier, which is weird.
2) Enemy soldiers behaviour is so stupid that any plans ends up the same shoot them all. Unless you have a sniper and shoot them off from a distance while changing positions, everything turns out the same

I am pushing on to see if the game gets better, but as of now, the AI is plain stupid !!!

Hmmm..... I will keep pushing on for a few hours more, I guess, if the game better get better soon, I can't stand it the way it is right now.

I am trying different stuff while attacking a situation, but as of now:

1) I don't know what kindof terrain the mission is in unless I get there, but then I have to choose my weapons earlier, which is weird.
2) Enemy soldiers behaviour is so stupid that any plans ends up the same shoot them all. Unless you have a sniper and shoot them off from a distance while changing positions, everything turns out the same

I am pushing on to see if the game gets better, but as of now, the AI is plain stupid !!!

Well sure, last week after two days, I was ready to do a trade in today for Fallout 3. Not now; I'll get Fallout later. I'm keeping this until completion and maybe more. I'm not nearly where kyle is but I'm starting to enjoy it more and more.

A couple things opened up for me. one, I played a bunch of multiplayer which made my aiming and gun control a lot better even with the crappy opening weapons. I now can navigate my way through the checkpoints carefully downing guys with chest to head shots. I started setting fires for distraction, blowing enemy camp propane tanks to kill, sneaking and knife killing, sniping, flamethrowing jeeps to distract and explode and finding interesting points on the map that are hidden gems for firing on enemies. (ie, I found a tree sticking at an angle out of a swamp at one camp that I was able to climb up and fire from giving me an advantage).

OTOH, maybe the AI will just piss you off too much which I can understand.

I'm about 50% done and I'm liking it quite alot. At the beginning I was disapointed, but it really does get better.

I still have quite a many issues with this game though. I Hate the fact that everybody and their grandpa is trying to kill you even though you are making missions to the factions... It makes no sense whatsoever. The weapon jamming was really annoying, but it is mostly gone now with better weapons and upgrades. Still I almost broke the game disc when I was hiding in the bushes waiting for a convoy about 3-4 minutes and when it finally was time to shoot my friggin grenade launcher got jammed and the convoy got away!

Getting new weapons is too slow, I mean what kind of business model is that weapons dealer having? he won't sell you his pretty standard weapons until you make tons of dangerous missions that puts his customers to endangered species list, man it was nice to buy weapons in MGS 4! It was also disapointing that the player can't crawl in this game, which is something I did alot in Far Cry 1 on PC.

I also found it very tiring to fight against those quard posts and the jeeps that follow me all the time, but travelling with a bus solved those down to reasonable.

Now though with good weapons it is very enjoyable game and I find it hard not to play it all the time, but with its flaws. I think it's about 8.5/10 and I was expecting a bit more, still good fun.

best description of an example of the game play I've seen

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13404517&postcount=2537

You wake up in a shack in the middle of the jungle. You check your map, looking for places you could get a mission (cell towers? arms dealer? warring factions? underground? mercs?). You choose one.

You set out by foot, but get ambushed by a truck with a mounted machine gun. You kill the driver and gunner, steal the truck, and drive off. Back on your way, you spot a road block ahead. You stop the truck, get behind the mounted gun, and let loose. You hit an arms cache, which explodes like fireworks, sending bullets everywhere. A firefight erupts. You wipe the camp out, finding a lone, wounded survivor propped up behind a tree, dying. He tries to pull his pistol. You sink your machete into his chest.

Back on the road now, you're driving along when you diamond gps lights up. You leave the road, hoofing it into the undergrowth. You find the diamond near the wreckage of a bus that tumbled down the ravine, but you also spot a guarded compound nearby. After scoping the place from a safe vantage, you launch your assault but get overzealous with the molotov cocktails. As flames engulf the entire ravine, you're cut down by an enemy who retreated to the tree line. You hit the ground, but don't die. You vision goes in and out as an a.i. buddy arrives, and drags you out of the combat. You're revived a few feet away safely behind a rock. You head back in with your a.i. buddy to finish the fight. You find health packs, and free a prisoner. They tell you to meet them later for a mission.

This newly freed compound is near the river, and you realize you could finish the journey to the mission start by boat. So down the river you go. Your diamond gps goes off again, but you can't seem to locate this one. You encounter an enemy patrol boat, and though you finish them off easily, they've damaged your engine. After repairing the boat, you finally make it to the bar where your mission awaits. But first you stop into the arms dealing to spend your diamonds on new weapons, or maybe an upgrade for your existing ones.

Finally, 45 minutes after you set out, you enter Mike's bar to get your mission.

If that sounds awesome to you, then the awesome game is awesome.

best description of an example of the game play I've seen
Good one. :smile: I like Eurogamer's description better, though.

"Far Cry 2 is unforgettable rather than perfect". This I think sums it all up for me. FC2 is truely different, specially if you are tired of the average FPS, sometimes it's so comical, and unique at the end but you can see the potential of its engine....

It's a lovely game to play and look at, imo, and it surprises me because of the fact that I rarely play the genre except if I find something interesting about a game in particular....

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=264329&page=3

I'm about 50% done and I'm liking it quite alot. At the beginning I was disapointed, but it really does get better.

I still have quite a many issues with this game though. I Hate the fact that everybody and their grandpa is trying to kill you even though you are making missions to the factions... It makes no sense whatsoever. The weapon jamming was really annoying, but it is mostly gone now with better weapons and upgrades. Still I almost broke the game disc when I was hiding in the bushes waiting for a convoy about 3-4 minutes and when it finally was time to shoot my friggin grenade launcher got jammed and the convoy got away!

Getting new weapons is too slow, I mean what kind of business model is that weapons dealer having? he won't sell you his pretty standard weapons until you make tons of dangerous missions that puts his customers to endangered species list, man it was nice to buy weapons in MGS 4! It was also disapointing that the player can't crawl in this game, which is something I did alot in Far Cry 1 on PC.

I also found it very tiring to fight against those quard posts and the jeeps that follow me all the time, but travelling with a bus solved those down to reasonable.

Now though with good weapons it is very enjoyable game and I find it hard not to play it all the time, but with its flaws. I think it's about 8.5/10 and I was expecting a bit more, still good fun.
That happens because, supposedly, nobody knows which faction you're working for (have you seen the last Inside Xbox video? -I did, out of boringness, before I bought the game-).

In this game it probably matters less which faction you are "in" with. Each faction teaches a different doctrine, but the goal of the factions is basically the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read this review today and I agree with some points, others I find valid but it's more a matter of tastes varying from person to person.

Gamepro: 5/5. http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/207593/far-cry-2-page-1-of-2/

The sequel to the immensely popular Far Cry proves itself as a stellar experience that busts the first person shooter genre wide open with amazing depth, freedom and unprecedented immersion.

THE BOTTOM LINE: This is a game for shooter fans that have been waiting for the genre to be dialed up to the next level. Its detailed presentation, feature-rich gameplay, and palpable sense of placing players in another world yield a bar-raising effort.

PROS: A massive open-world, rich with opportunities and experiences that make the average shooter look, well, average.
CONS: Features, depth, and freedom might be a bit overwhelming for those accustomed to more standard shooters.
Although I'm not a developer or well versed in graphics technology I've also noticed how great the AF of this game is. Maybe AFx8 or so?

And it's not easy to spot jaggies, too.:smile:

with so many quality games released in late-September onwards to Christmas (plus work, family, friends and Life) it'll be difficult to find time for such gaming goodness that also includes Far Cry 2.

I completed this yesterday and my playtime was about 24h so it's a fairly long game. I'm going to up my score from 8.5 to 8.9, as it really became better towards the end, partly because the missions were slightly more interesting and partly because learning to play and adapting to the game world made the flaws less annoying.

Technically it was a very nice console game, quite pretty and atleast on the X360-version the framerate was solid througout the game. The weapons were nicely modelled and especially the sounds were great. I used Mac 10, AS50 sniper and bazooka and playing with my new projector with 100" screen and volume up it was quite an enjoyable audiovisual experience!

Hmm I got Dead Space and Fall out 3 standing in front of me and I can't deside which one to fire up first...

The PC version is on a single layer DVD, and the game folder is only 3.17GB. So I'm guessing the 360 disk has quite a bit of redundancy, shame that can't be discarded for the instal.

The PC version is on a single layer DVD, and the game folder is only 3.17GB. So I'm guessing the 360 disk has quite a bit of redundancy, shame that can't be discarded for the instal.

Far Cry 2 on my PC is a smaller install then the first Far Cry :oops:

The PS3 installation is slightly under 3 gigs large. I'm assuming that's probably the entire game. At least the disc drive stays completely quiet while playing the game.

Back