UBI talks Far Cry 2 engine

This cant be the PC version, I mean its supposed to look better than FC1 with a large difference.

Also I noticed some pretty bad aliasing at the bridge part where the car passes it. Really looks upscaled or something. :???:

This cant be the PC version, I mean its supposed to look better than FC1 with a large difference.

Also I noticed some pretty bad aliasing at the bridge part where the car passes it. Really looks upscaled or something. :???:
I watched the stream I didn't look into it that much.
Overall it looked good.
But I may be some could do captures of the HD version and submit them in "the neverending...thread"

The fact that they completely forgot to turn shadows on might have something to do with that.

Interesting deal on the pre-order, though.

It looked like what I thought Wii games would look like... lets see how it turns out.

Seriously, go back and watch that urban part again. Shadows are off completely. How could they have let that one slide?

The gun jamming mechanic is going to absolutely suck. If this game is anywhere near the difficulty of the original Far Cry, guns that jam all the time are going to ruin the gameplay in my opinion.

First review of the game, from PC Gamer UK magazine:

Far Cry 2 94%
It's beautiful, free-roaming, utterly absorbing
It's not a linear shooter, a prescribed story, going to let you go.

Crysis Warhead 60%
It's Poorly designed, Stupid, Pretty.
It's not Original, Entirely open-ended, Adding much to Crysis

Warhammer Online 88% finest mmo since WoW
It's Oddly familiar, Only war, Pve and PvP in harmony
It's not a WoW clone, Great at PvE, Making life easy for cosplayers

Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway 85%
It's Tactical, Moving, Beautiful
It's not Hugely Changed, Run and gun, About the thrills.

Strong Bad's cool game 80%
Silverfall 76%
Mercs 2 72%
Witcher enhanced 81%
sim the sorc 4 20%
Civ 4 Colon 79%
emergency 4 79%

Could you just tell me if it was the same reviewer for both FC2 and Warhead? I want to know if I am going to be excited over FC2 or disappointed.

The gun jamming mechanic is going to absolutely suck. If this game is anywhere near the difficulty of the original Far Cry, guns that jam all the time are going to ruin the gameplay in my opinion.
There's the problem.. you're assuming that guns will jam "all the time". Whenever they talk about the jamming, they always refer to overusing and not taking care of the weapon. They have you fix vehicles in the game.. what's to say you won't have to occasionally clean your weapons?

Besides, you can always drop it and pick up another one.

Crysis Warhead 60%
It's Poorly designed, Stupid, Pretty.
It's not Original, Entirely open-ended, Adding much to Crysis

Unless this game is utter trash compared to Crysis (which every account completely contradicts), that reviewer is a complete numpty.

Maybe he's deliberatly rating it lower becaues the of the DRM? Even sadder if thats the case.

Unless this game is utter trash compared to Crysis (which every account completely contradicts), that reviewer is a complete numpty.

Maybe he's deliberatly rating it lower becaues the of the DRM? Even sadder if thats the case.

Take off the tin hat! The "comments" show the main gripes the reviewer had:

It's Poorly designed
Stupid
It's not Original

Now play the game and you can come back and tell us if you agree, but the sling the mud at reviewers before you played the game and discounting complaints for tin foil theories is poor posting!!

Btw, not every poorly rated game is "bad." Take TFU... may be substandard in a lot of areas by many criteria but there is surely a market of consumers who, because of the good parts, enjoy it a lot. There is no magical game that everyone will love (unless Shiggy makes it!) Especially an open ended shooters where the linear ones may exhibit a lot more polish, cohesive story and knock down presentation, intense gameplay, strong MP component, etc. But someone could hate linear games and love the freedom of an open sandbox. All you can do is judge individual merits and allow consumers to decide what is important to them.

It's Poorly designed
Stupid
It's not Original

Thats the thing that makes the review questionable.

Not original? How many are it nowdays except small bits? Most high rated games are not original in any sense, CoD4 aint it etc.

Stupid? Says nothing except he is young and stupid!

Poorly designed? Yet everyone else and the other reviewers says its fully the opposite, good design, better than Crysis.

I'll leave it there. :smile:

This isn't a review debate thread - there's one of those as a catchall - and it's not a thread on Crysis either, so being doubly OT, the subject should be dropped by all, thanks.

step by step hands on with 360 version

some snippets...

• Nine characters to choose from. Going with Marty Alencar, the first option. He’s a 28 year-old Brazilian..
  • Frame-rate very solid. Dynamic shadowing obvious. No visible stuttering so far.
  • PR just told me they want me to say it’s the 360 version because of the screenshots, as there are slight visual differences between the versions.
  • VO’s brilliant. Gritty. Sound’s surround. It’s all very slick, to be honest.
  • If you drive over foilage in the car it pings back up behind you. The red roadsigns on the fence posts lead you to your mission objective. It’s to stop you getting lost, obviously.
  • In firefight. The openness is amazing. Flanked the objective and shot first guy from a distance, crouched in the grass.
  • Best game foilage ever. Put that on the box, Ubi.
  • You control time by resting. You can set your watch and sleep until that specific time. The game has a 24 hour day/night cycle.
  • You click the left stick to sprint.
  • Environments so far: towns, villages, jungle, “bush”.
  • We have to say this, but the “living jungle” is just overwhelming. Everything rustles in the wind, everything’s shadowed, the lighting’s dimmed now we’ve slept till 6pm: beautiful....
  • ..The music’s dynamic. Just killed someone with the machete, but he got a shot off before he died and it started a bigger fight. The music went “dramatic.”
  • You have to save the game yourself by walking up to flashing blue cases on the wall. There are as many slots as you like, dependant on HD space, presumably.
  • Just used a GPS tracker to find a diamond in a case. There are hundreds of these in the game. You can buy and upgrade weapons with them...
  • Statix - You can sprint for about ten seconds, then you get out of breath and your vision blurs and you go back to walking...

Also...

Aug 15th video of PS3 version showing motion controls

Last edited by a moderator:

It's Poorly designed
Stupid
It's not Original

Now play the game and you can come back and tell us if you agree, but the sling the mud at reviewers before you played the game and discounting complaints for tin foil theories is poor posting!!

Btw, not every poorly rated game is "bad." Take TFU... may be substandard in a lot of areas by many criteria but there is surely a market of consumers who, because of the good parts, enjoy it a lot. There is no magical game that everyone will love (unless Shiggy makes it!) Especially an open ended shooters where the linear ones may exhibit a lot more polish, cohesive story and knock down presentation, intense gameplay, strong MP component, etc. But someone could hate linear games and love the freedom of an open sandbox. All you can do is judge individual merits and allow consumers to decide what is important to them.
I find it a source of fascination how PC gamers are always trying to defend Crysis at any hint of criticism.

My theory for that is that PC gamers didn't see consoles as a competition in the past (HD vs SD, huge amounts of RAM vs 64 MB at most, etc). But now the gap is closing and the graphical differences aren't that definite. They are seeing the wolf's ears somewhere between the bushes -that's to say, they're seeing the red light-. Crysis is the game that marks an obvious difference with consoles, thus its glorification.

It's just a theory but look at Nebula's signature. :D It makes me laugh in a good way. I have to admit, though, that the forum wouldn't be the same without them.

Could you just tell me if it was the same reviewer for both FC2 and Warhead? I want to know if I am going to be excited over FC2 or disappointed.
I would like to answer that question but I can't because I didn't buy the magazine. You can find some PC Gamer scans (from a preview) here:

http://www.farcry2game.com/index.php

Btw, new stealth video:

[gt]36911[/gt]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back