Trailer from Naughty Dog

There is something weird going on with the colors in the top screen. I dont know why its that. There seems to be some kind of pixelation overally almost as if the game is running from software only. Probably the capture method is what does this because watching at both screens the level of detail isnt that "different". The display method though probably makes the 3D screen weird and less good looking

Im not worried its Naughty Dog, everytime they make a new game engine its always THE benchmark for the platform its built on.

The Crash Bandicoot games were pretty yes. :) I remember that they were proud of the Z-buffer effect in CB2 en that the engine from CTR was one of the best for PS1.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Crash Bandicoot games were pretty yes. :) I remember that they were proud of the Z-buffer effect in CB2 en that the engine from CTR was one of the best for PS1.
yes , Crash engines and Spyro 's (insomniac) engine were the best tech out of ps1 HW.

hmmm.... tell me is this 3d screen look any good?

unchartedfev2.jpg

you wish...in real world ,they don't.crysis may have the most advanced skin shading from these 3 ,but not SSS by any stretch.
No one speaks for the cg sss but for the real time effect that some developers use in their next-gen games in order to fake this effect. Make a search before you answer and stop jumping the gun.

No one speaks for the cg sss but for the real time effect that some developers use in their next-gen games in order to fake this effect.
Tri-Ace PS2 games, Star Ocean 3, Radiata Stories and Valkyrie Profile 2, amongst others probably, used a technique to create translucent materials, specifically for the skin of some of their characters.
They made a presentation of that technology at GDC Europe (Now London) in 2005, if I remember correctly.

Apparently, ND confirmed a 10% graphics downgrade here:

http://playstar.cinebb.com/Dossiers-f4/Rencontre-avec-Christophe-Balestra-de-Naughty-Dog-t210.htm

Blim at GAF:

Blimblim said:
Ok guys, here is a translation:
The E3 teaser wasn't realtime apparently, but was using the assets and shaders of the game at that time, but the engine wasn't good enough. Today they have it running at 30 fps, and they are very near the trailer quality, about 90% of it (litteraly says it's missing 10%), because the shaders have been downgraded a bit because they aimed too high at first.

It also mentions they are using Nvidia's CG, but also some new library that has not been made available to third party devs yet.

That article is 100% legit. Believe it or not it's your problem, but the author is well known here in France, and the event itself happened for sure.

Thank you.

Although anyone looking at the differences between the cgi e3 vid and the screens shown recently can see they are worlds apart and this just confirms it.

I'm curious to see how the game shapes up.

Sidenote: on xb360 there is a hard cap at 4xaa. Is there a similar cap on ps3? If so, what is it?

Tri-Ace PS2 games, Star Ocean 3, Radiata Stories and Valkyrie Profile 2, amongst others probably, used a technique to create translucent materials, specifically for the skin of some of their characters.
They made a presentation of that technology at GDC Europe (Now London) in 2005, if I remember correctly.
Which would be this one.
http://research.tri-ace.com/Data/Pr...SH Lighting and HDR Rendering Full-Length.ppt
Very nice presentation, which shows some of the nicest visual tricks on ps2.

Sidenote: on xb360 there is a hard cap at 4xaa. Is there a similar cap on ps3? If so, what is it?
NV40 and G70 series could both render to 2 different 16xAA modes, I do belive that RSX can use both of those.
Problems come from usability of huge framebuffers in low memory system and graphics design should be simple enough to allow high framerates.

No one confirm nothing because tha nature of article is unsure ;)
That site owner post on our forums, so he might chime in and give you the details you may want to hear.

With that said, as I said in my earlier post in this thread, the trailer was surely a "fully featured" video. It was rendered on the PS3 engine, just not in real-time (hence the higher AA).

Now, let's wait for the final version of the game, after full code optimisation, to see how it looks. I just hope that they activate some anti-aliasing in the final build.
TheChefO said:
All hardware accelerated MSAA ROPs have a limit to the number of samples they allow. On the PS3 it would be the same as the G7X series: 4XMSAA.

The event was on december. It is the state of the game on December. See the date of the post the 13th December.

It is why I found some people are brainless on the net. Grow up a little. One screenshot: Downgrade, Downgrade. One sum up of an IGDA meeting with just small think about the game: downgrade, downgrade. We don't even know the status of the project right now and the date of the screenshot for example.

I just hope that the ND VP technology will have no problem. Now, we will wait an official presentation of Uncharted: Drake's fortune.

I don't find a big difference with the screen comparison
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=931068&postcount=198

And like Farid said, the trailer was a video like Heavenly sword at E3 2005 with speed up of the framerate.

They are beginning the development on PC and when they port the code on PS3 devkits the framerate was...2 fps. They need to rework the code for CELL BE and RSX. Ninja Theory had probably the same problem when they took their 360 code onto PS3 devkits.

And, I'm sure that many development of PS3 title began on PC, for the preproduction phase.

I'm not the author of the sum up but I'm French and post on this little french forum.

That site owner post on our forums, so he might chime in and give you the details you may want to hear.

With that said, as I said in my earlier post in this thread, the trailer was surely a "fully featured" video. It was rendered on the PS3 engine, just not in real-time (hence the higher AA).

Now, let's wait for the final version of the game, after full code optimisation, to see how it looks. I just hope that they activate some anti-aliasing in the final build.

All hardware accelerated MSAA ROPs have a limit to the number of samples they allow. On the PS3 it would be the same as the G7X series: 4XMSAA.

Ok farid only i don't understand why a coder from naughty dog have said this...

IGN: Definitely. Of course, we think that the most important question that a lot of people have right now is "how much of that footage was CG and how much was real-time?"

Wells: The entire trailer was rendered in real-time using our PS3 game engine. All of the models, textures, shaders and effects are in-game.

it's a PR for you ?

Back