Too Human E3 '07 Trailer

the graphics looked very good technically and the game's artistic style/setting is probably the most unique and well-executed of any upcoming game, it's actually original and not like MGS4 AT ALL (for the one person that said it was like MGS).

The battle system did look bad the last time it was shown but it's obvious they just wanted to show the LEVEL they had since they really didn't talk about the vast options you have for customizing your character (which is a feature they emphasized). The game takes a lot of the attractive typical characteristics of RPG's, exploration games, and fighting games and is actually trying to combine them. It probably works well if MS agreed to have a trilogy.

No it was a totally negative summation is what it was. Which missed out on, or totally glossing over some of the coolest aspects of the game.

I would argue the story alone makes it more than just a Diablo clone, Silicon Knights is know for their great storytelling.

Also, the loot drops illustrate one of the coolest aspects of the game, with is the multiplayer co-op, I'm assuming you'll need multiple people to score the best items. They also illustrate a more open-ended nature to the gameplay, which is great.

If you ignore that, you're ignoring a huge chunk of innovation, and development time that went into the different character classes, balancing etc.

With that said, I'll admit I'm biased when it comes to this game, since I'm in love with the concept. Still, SK is not getting the respect they deserve given their pedigree.

You must have missed half the post. Read more scooby :)

Seeing how Mass Effect has improved lately I'm not worried at all.

On top of that, I think it is an older trailer, as all the new ones have 'LIVE' beneath the 360 outro at the end.

Seeing how Mass Effect has improved lately I'm not worried at all.

That actually brings up an interesting point regarding the development kits that was brought up in a developer blog . The gist of it is that unlike other prior console dev kits that feature double the RAM, the 360 ones come with exactly 512MB, so they're working somewhat backwards with respect to filling up RAM with high quality assets. They start small then adjust/increase quality as time goes on rather than create super ridiculous assets and scale them down.

edit: BioWare IGN Blog:

Casey Hudson said:
And even more behind-the-scenes… One interesting aspect of this question is that the Xbox 360 offers a different challenge than we had on the PC or even the original Xbox, through a seemingly innocent difference: the development Xbox 360 units have the same memory as retail ones.

In our previous console development, and certainly on the PC, we often have twice the memory on our dev machines as on the final retail machines. So first you throw in everything you want the game to have, and then you figure out how to make it all fit in a space half the size.

So developing graphics for those previous platforms is easy at first, but you can end up having to downgrade your graphics to squeeze it all onto the system. On the Xbox 360 however, players get a beefy 512MB of memory to play in, but us developers don’t get any extra room beyond that. So the reverse happens: we first make the most basic graphics fit within memory, and then we upgrade the visuals as we optimize the game. We’re also constantly tuning the art and the renderer to gradually improve the overall quality. Therefore you can actually expect the final game to look better than we’ve ever shown it.

(bold is mine to highlight the main point)

That actually brings up an interesting point regarding the development kits that was brought up in a developer blog . The gist of it is that unlike other prior console dev kits that feature double the RAM, the 360 ones come with exactly 512MB, so they're working somewhat backwards with respect to filling up RAM with high quality assets.

Cheers! Didn't know that.

Heavenly sword cinematics are very simple but beautiful. To be honest I haven’t seen many because I’m trying not to spoil the experience. What makes them beautiful is the art direction and not the camera placement - general direction that works well for MGS or Halo for example.

For me the latest trailer for Too Human lacked both art direction and and camera direction. I cringed at every slow mo scene… I’m not sure about gameplay as I ‘ve never seen any gamplay videos and to be honest I’d realy like a nice hack and slash dungeon crawler with a futuristic setting. That said, the trailer didn’t do it for me. I’ll try to find a gameplay video. Perhaps it plays better than it advertises itself.

Dyack speaks...

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/20/too-human-release-date-and-demo-coming-soon/

It is always darkest before the dawn.

Too Human will be out in 2008. A firm date with tons of new info is coming soon. This will be followed up with a playable demo. The demo will speak for itself.

Hang in there.

Denis

"Soon" is a a relative term, especially wrt this project, but thought i would pass this on for those following it with interest.

new?

http://toohuman.net/images/x360/Exclusives/060807/060807001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been extremely hyped for this game, but even I'm losing interest.

Who know how this will turn out, but it's just been a PR disaster that makes it hard for me to have any level of sustained hype.

This latest statement just seems more of the same. "Coming soon", "better than you'll expect", "wait and see" blah blah blah...

Hell Dennis was telling us last spring this game was "much closer than you think", now it's coming in 2008, with 'tons' of new info and a firm date?? Sure...

I like the concept on this and it seems the team is headed in the right direction to bring the concept to completion, but there are are a few things I'd like to see fixed:

Animation:
When the pistol is fired, his hands and arms do not react AT ALL so it just looks like the guns are spitting little flames instead of hammering bullets (even if they're "hybrid, electric" etc, they should still have a reaction from the character firing them).

The characters in their environment should also be more reactionary to subtle things. When something that big comes stomping into a room/bar, things should be vibrating accordingly. loose items on the table/floor, the tables, the camera, etc.

The animation of the main character needs work. If he is to be some sort of futuristic Ninjagaiden/chowyunfat, he needs to move more convincingly in that role.

Overall, the sense of weight/mass in this game needs work. I really like the concept and unique setting. The graphics (still shots) look great. The lighting looks great. The sound was limited and while I don't think they'll win any awards for voice acting, they're suitable.

The biggest problem these devs have today IMO is the subtle animation/physics tweaks. Still shots are very impressive but when animated, 9 times out of 10, things fall apart and the illusion is broken.

This title/franchise has a lot of promise IMO and if they can tweak these things (I see no reason why they couldn't), they will have a great title/franchise on their hands. If they release it without addressing these concerns, IMO it will be a waste and soon forgotten among the pile of mediocrity and lost opportunity.

BUMP

Denis Dyack: Well, we decided not to show Too Human until we think it’s the right opportunity. We’re actually going to be showing Too Human in early October.

Dyack: Development now is going fantastic. We’ve overcome massive hurdles, and the game is coming out in the first quarter of next year.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200709/N07.0905.1657.36513.htm

toohuman1.jpg

I am reserving my judgement until it finally ships. But for now I am not getting my hopes up high. All the development trouble doesn't bode too well for the final product. But who knows how it will turn out in the end...

actually that would require the fan base as well as the devs to hype the game up as being great... right now it's more a case of "this will be great...eventually...maybe... or maybe not."

I agree, I think that the Lair hype was beyond anything that Too Human has had so far. They started with a very bad presentation and although they have had some better showings after that they are still haunted by it, maybe rightfully so, as even the new stuff has had its faults, so I you said, I think that both game journalists and gamers are much more reserved for this game in general.

Personally, I never really understood the hype for Lair, it didn't take too many videos to realize that gameplay wise it could end up being pretty boring. I still look forward to Too Human though. Mostly because I like the setting/story of the game but also the gameplay shows potential with its hack and slash with RPG-light elements...

Back