Too bright, my eyes hurt...

Divvy

Newcomer
I've had this Samsung SyncMaster 997MB for about a year now and I'm not very happy with it. ..

The problem (well, there are several, but the one that irritates me the most) is that even when I set the brightness to the absolute minimum, I cannot get a true black. Normally, when you turn the brightness to zero on a CRT, it should look as though it is turned off. Playing games with dark pictures (like Thief or Doom 3) look washed out and grey. ..

ps - I have already tried every gamma adjusting method there is. There is a set level of brightness that this monitor simply CANNOT go below.

I have tested another monitor in my computer, and got the same problem, so I think that the problem isn't in my monitor, but in my video card. It is possible?

I have a eVGA 7800 GT PCI-E 256MB.

Another problem that I notice, is in desktop... in the right of the display, my files have too much bright... like this:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2j3hf9j.jpg (Not exactly, this was edit in photoshop)

And with photoshop open with a black background, I got something like this:
http://i35.tinypic.com/axcwg8.jpg (Not exactly, this was edit in photoshop)

Can someone help me please?
This is very URGENT for me because I have my eyes hurts... I need glasses because of this problem, I am working at home over a year with this problem. :(

This is why I hate LCD, and why I'm considering a 42-inch plasma in the other thread more seriously than an LCD.

I think the newer LCDs are better, but the only displays that get reviewed properly are TVs. LCD monitors only seem to look good when there's lots of ambient lighting like at the office.

Have you tried turning it off, disconnecting the VGA cable and reconnecting it? Check the end to make sure no pins are bent, a bent pin can cause goofy display problems.

Also try adjusting down the desktop brightness through your viddy card controls. They may have gotten bumped up gaming or something and never reset back down, I've had that happen.

EDITED BITS: BTW- I just recently upgraded to a Samsung SyncMaster 2220wm that I am just giddy to pieces with. :)

This is a CRT :)
Haha, whoops. I just see so many deals for SyncMaster LCD monitors that I just assumed this was one, and didn't know you could still purchase a CRT a year ago.

In that case I'm sure you just have a bum monitor. When some capacitors go bad you can get problems with brightness or black level (as well as geometry and overscan).

Is it black with the room lights off? If so, then an anti-glare screen might do the trick.

It could be a problem with your graphics card, since you say swapping in another monitor didn't make any difference. Do you have another card lying around that you can test?

Back