What's the difference between speakers and "studio monitor speakers"? Is it just marketing speak or are studios better?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I came home from vacation to discover that my Klipsch Pro Media's left channel is gone. It's not wiring, it's internal and I can't figure out the problem. Could be that they were about a dozen years old. I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a new set for $120us or is there something else newer/better? The audiophiles of Reddit recommend these studio monitor speakers instead for $100.

What's the difference between speakers and studio monitors? Anyone recommend either or something better in similar or lower price range? I'm allowed to get new speakers since they broke when we were gone and because I behaved extry good on vacation. (It was easy, I actually had fun!)

Stereos are not too hard to figure out. I would consider bringing out your voltmeter and diagnosing the issue
The proprietary cable that goes from the right speaker to the bass goes out and needs to be resoldered. With the current state of my hands that's a bit too much for me, but I will give it a shot. Just might pick up some new speakers before I do since having only one channel is driving me nuts!

they broke when we were gone
Hmmmm. Have you noticed anything else broken/missing/moved to different place...? Perhaps they're after you.

Anyway, the marketing terms are just what they are, but stuff _actually_ intended for recording use may not necessarily sound all that special for a layman with prior experience mostly from boombox stuff. Back in the day when speakers referred to actual passive loudspeakers, there was a clear distinction in studio monitors being active units. Nowadays when powered speakers are everywhere, the line is blurrier I suppose.

The proprietary cable that goes from the right speaker to the bass goes out and needs to be resoldered. With the current state of my hands that's a bit too much for me, but I will give it a shot. Just might pick up some new speakers before I do since having only one channel is driving me nuts!
Pay someone! Drive to their house. They will have the tools to do it. It will be cheaper than buying a whole new set. Stereo equipment lasts, as long as you can drive the speakers and the quality is good, it’s worth keeping. I still have my Cambridge fps2000 speakers from 2000

I think the PreSonus sounds a lot clearer than the Edifiers, sound comparison:

Pay someone! Drive to their house. They will have the tools to do it. It will be cheaper than buying a whole new set. Stereo equipment lasts, as long as you can drive the speakers and the quality is good, it’s worth keeping. I still have my Cambridge fps2000 speakers from 2000
If I knew anyone near me who was decent at soldering I would, but I'm usually the person people call for that.

I sort of want to get new speakers, the volume control has been funky on my Klipsch for a few years now. I'll still try and fix them as I could use them in a lot of places, but for now I just want something new that I can just plug in and have work. Also I like the idea of clearer sound. I'm not an audiophile per se, but I do have a damned sensitive ear for sound from all the classical music training I had so I like it to sound good. I do agree on the fix 'em part, I just don't see that happening soon enough for me. This is the first time I've been back together with Bubbles since last Wednesday and we need to spend time together!

EDITED BITS: Oh yeah, my subwoofer under my desk doesn't fit anymore. The dogs have gotten bigger and I use a foot rest now to help my legs so no subwoofer would be a big bonus. Plus I never use the thing, it makes the house thump and rattle so much that everyone gets mad at me. I do mostly low volume stuff so clarity over bass thumpy is important to me.

They also have Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 cables you can buy separately on Ebay and Amazon for as low as $10.

What's the difference between speakers and studio monitors?
Studio monitors are more neutral sounding, since their purpose is to evaluate a recording or a mix.
I don't think those Edifier's are studio monitors, but personally, I've heard them and like them.
My PC speakers are the R1700BT.
I generally like Edifier's sound profile, which is very different from Klipsch's (my 5.1 setup is a mix of Reference bookshelf and Reference Premium tower Klipsch speakers), so if you decide to try them, be prepared for a very different sound. :)

Edit
Aaaaand, just realized you got the MR4! :p

Back