TitanFall [XO,X360]

Respawn dudes were on the Giantbomb podcast and said that the cloud stuff is basically dedicated servers.

Which is quite cool, because...dedicated servers are so much better than what we have in COD at the moment!

I am really glad that dedicated servers seem to be quite common next gen...:cool:

"We were kind of interested in Source early on because it’s very familiar to our designers," said Richard Baker, a software engineer at Respawn who previously worked on Call of Duty 2, Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. Source also suited Respawn’s desire to hit a constant 60 frames per second on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, where other third-party engines weren’t up to the task. "The ironic thing is that we wanted an engine that would work on PS3, because that’s the riskiest platform in current gen. When Portal 2 came out and it seemed to be a pretty decent PS3 game, that was the point when we decided to go with Source. And then we stopped supporting PS3."

:LOL:

from here:
http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/12/4419110/titanfall-respawn

I guess there are is still a narrative that follows the order of the missions you play, with intro and outro cutscenes.

I guess I'll have to see how it goes, but I no longer have much desire for FPS competitive multiplayer. Which is strange as I used to compete semi-professionally in FPS competitive multiplayer.

Co-op based FPS multiplayer I still enjoy, however.

Regards,
SB

I guess there are is still a narrative that follows the order of the missions you play, with intro and outro cutscenes.

KZ3 did that in one of th emodes, doesn't help much. an mP game is an MP game. I don't mind a completely MP game myself.

and yes , hope DICE sees that too. THeir SP game demo was boring as hell.

I guess I'll have to see how it goes, but I no longer have much desire for FPS competitive multiplayer. Which is strange as I used to compete semi-professionally in FPS competitive multiplayer.

Co-op based FPS multiplayer I still enjoy, however.

Regards,
SB

Destiny beckons you sire ! I will be there with you to bash them hordes to pulp and explore them unknowns :p ! Collectibles, gimme them collectibles and you will find me scraping pixels to no end !

Destiny beckons you sire ! I will be there with you to bash them hordes to pulp and explore them unknowns :p ! Collectibles, gimme them collectibles and you will find me scraping pixels to no end !

Yup, I'll likely get Destiny when it is released on PC, but it doesn't impress me nearly as much as Titanfall from what has been shown so far. But I'm still really looking forward to Destiny, I've really enjoyed everything Bungie has released (now if only they would re-make Myth or make another game in the Myth series).

Regards,
SB

This whole discussion about Titanfall sounds exactly like Warhawk, one of my favorite previous gen MP-only games.

Looks good + very interested just because Respawn is making it. I loved me some MW1.

Regarding Source:
Haven't been able to read the whole thread, but some quick responses to things I've read:

First - so glad to have this finally out there! Even more excited that people seem to "get it" and are looking forward to playing it. We've been focusing on gameplay since day 1, and I think everyone is going to have a really fun time getting to know the game once its out :)

The 60fps videos are from our site, www.titanfall.com. I don't care where you're getting 'em, but if Gamersyde is slow for you, try it. A huge part of the game is the fluidity, and thats really lost on weak-sauce Youtube 30fps encodes. As long as I'm around, expect 60fps footage from us.

For those expecting "normal" Source engine - don't. Those super smart coders (like Calen in this thread!) have re-written a massive amount of the codebase. The renderer is completely new (multi-threaded, DX11, 64bit, etc.), along with all the sound code, netcode, input code, etc. There's a lot of cores on the Xbox One, and the coders are actively working on utilizing them as much as possible.

Cloud! Cloud. Cloud? Yeah - we're using the MS Cloud for the Xbox One version. All platforms will be 100% played on dedis, but on the Xbox One MS is providing an extra layer on Azure that allows us to spin up dedis at a moments notice based on active users in the variety of regions, among other things.

We aren't talking about the 360 version much yet, but rest assured that we're working with the team thats doing it and care very deeply that its a superb version. This is our debut game and we won't let just any turd out the door!

PC - yup, going to be on PC, and its going to be awesome. We've got a lot of hardcore PC gamers in the office, and we know there's a lot of you looking to get this on PC. Again, no turds. We know what PC guys like/expect, and really don't want to disappoint.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63944906&postcount=362

Sweet, I wonder if this means there will be a 64 bit version for Windows (with Xbox One or greater assets based off the Respawn code) and a 32 bit version for Windows (slightly better than X360 art assets based off the other developer code).

I can't wait for this to launch just to see how they handle that. Or if they'll do like DICE and require a 64 bit OS to run their game (yay, death of XP).

A shame that it takes console to get PC devs to do what should have happened 5 years ago, IMO.

Regards,
SB

So, the game is multiplayer only, but it isn't straightforward multiplayer like you'd expect from COD. The areneas will have scripted story events, like you'd see in a regular single-player game. There will be AI bots like you would see in a single-player shooter. Sounds interesting. Now I understand why they said they were running AI in the cloud. Keep the bot AI on the server so it is properly synced between all players.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...between-solo-and-multiplayer-experiences.aspx

Pilots, for instance, can hitch a ride by hopping onto the backs of their fellow mechs

its an "intended feature" or just an "accidental feature" ?
does respawn state that it is a feature by design, a real feature of titanfall?

if its just an accidental feature, we cant have hope in it. Developer can just patch it out, delete that feature a few months after release.

So, the game is multiplayer only, but it isn't straightforward multiplayer like you'd expect from COD. The areneas will have scripted story events, like you'd see in a regular single-player game. There will be AI bots like you would see in a single-player shooter. Sounds interesting. Now I understand why they said they were running AI in the cloud. Keep the bot AI on the server so it is properly synced between all players.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...between-solo-and-multiplayer-experiences.aspx

I'm still not sold on the campaign multiplayer. Especially if it's only competitive and they don't offer a co-op campaign multiplayer as well.

However, yes, I love the idea of the AI basically running in the "cloud" (MMO style). Easy to update/change the AI as time goes by without requiring a patch or even needing a player to restart their game.

Regards,
SB

Back