Tiburon aiming HIGHER than new Madden screens/commercial !!

Oh boy, here is something for followers of those
'CGI quality graphics in actual gameplay' threads to chew on
like the ones on the psinext and other PS3 forums, and hey, I am one of them :)

http://sports.ign.com/articles/606/606601p1.html

A first look at the Madden Next-Gen commercial. Thoughts and impressions.
by Jon Robinson

April 21, 2005 - I never thought I would drive 30 minutes to watch a 60-second commercial.

Then again, I never thought after watching the commercial about ten times I would in turn race back home and write up my impressions of said commercial.

That's right, not of the game, of the commercial.

But judging by the fact that all week the only question anyone wanted to ask me was if I played Madden Next-Gen or saw a preview of the commercial, I figure Madden fans want to know what to expect this Saturday. So even though I have yet to play the game, I have seen an advanced screening of the commercial.

A commercial EA promised would blow my mind.

And it did…but with reservations.

First off, what you're about to see, and what you've been seeing in screenshots are not actual gameplay. It turns out that the commercial and all visuals released are actually an artist's interpretation of what Madden could look like on the Next-Gen systems.

Red flag.

But before you dismiss the commercial, the people at Tiburon say that some of the Madden team didn't want these visuals seen, not because they are setting the bar too high, but too low. Seriously, they say that these are the visuals they were shooting for originally, but that the team now feels that they will be easily surpassed. And if that's the case, NFL fans are in for an amazing display of visual impact.

The commercial shows a glimpse of action between the Giants and Eagles, with McNabb pumping up the crowd and running the show. The kickoff is fielded, and on the runback, Brian Westbrook is injured, bringing up a close-up of the joint and calling out a torn rotator cuff in a scene that looked something out of CSI.

As McNabb goes over to talk to the coach, you not only hear the coach's voice, you get a first look at what could be an all-new play calling system. There are now eight plays along the left side of the screen that you can scroll through as you get advice from the coach. And the Tiburon team confirmed that while this might not be the final play calling system, that fans are in for a change. "There will be more than three plays to choose from at a time."

After a big hit on the field, the camera zooms to the Jumbotron for a Sack Cam, and a close-up replay of the smashing defense. With two seconds left on the clock, the snow falling, Michael Strahan snarling, and McNabb dropping back to pass, Donovan spins out of an arm tackle from the hulking defensive end and heaves the ball deep to T.O., who keeps his eyes locked on the prize, catches the ball and slides on his knees to celebrate the game-winner.

The movement and graphics level reminded me a lot of the Nike commercial a few years ago where a digitized Vick and T.O. showed what they could do without the limits of gravity or pain…it was that good.

But again, it's my interpretation of an artist's interpretation.

All I know is what I saw and what was promised. That the game will look even better. That the innovations in gameplay like the Hit Stick and Precision Passing won't just be brought to the Next-Gen systems, but possible enhanced. That the jump from Xbox and PS2 to the Next-Gen consoles will reveal an even bigger jump in details and graphics than what was seen in the transition from the PlayStation to the PlayStation 2. That the gameplay in Madden Next-Gen is going to look like a cinematic that you're controlling.

Promises of the possibilities of what's to come.

Promises that, if true, will turn Madden Next-Gen into an instant system seller.

I just hope the promises turn out to be more than words.

nice huh?

btw, I can believe that the actual Madden game on PS3 (Madden 2007) might look alot better than the screens we have been seeing.

especially this newest one which doesn't look all that great
day5screener.jpg

I am not talking about the render from a few months ago, but the newer screens that we have been calling real-time, but are now said to be "artist's interpretation's" of what the next generation Madden games should be like. that does not automatically mean the new pictures are prerendered CG like the older render was. it could simply mean real-time graphics that are not gameplay (i.e. nvidia's Nalu or ati's Ruby demos).

It could be true .

Esp with the doubling of the ram and the other modifications to the system over the last 8 months

First the gameplay in Madden Next-Gen is not going to look like a cinematic that you're controlling. That would be just bad game design and dumb.

You'll have a similar camera during gameplay as this gen, you won't be seeing much the same camera angles and close ups you apparently see in the commercial.
There'll of course be those "cinematic cut scenes" when tackled, referee and coach etc.. but as most of the game is very likely being played from a much further away cam, the graphical difference between next gen and this gen Madden games will likely be very small during actual gameplay.
But that's not that much limitation of hardware, but dictated by gameplay.
A 1st person football game, or even a 3rd person where the cam is just over the shoulders just wouldn't work with current input and display tech, you need a larger view of vision and sense of surroundings.

rabidrabbit said:
A 1st person football game, or even a 3rd person where the cam is just over the shoulders just wouldn't work with current input and display tech, you need a larger view of vision and sense of surroundings.
Maybe they'll recommend turning your widescreen HDTV on its side so you can get next gen QB-vision straight down the field. :LOL:

Two days ahead of the official unveiling of the tentatively titled Madden Next Gen, we got to take a look at the commercial that will have sports gamers talking this coming Saturday. Scheduled to air during the first half hour of the 2005 NFL Draft, this 30-second commercial spot will be the public's first glimpse of EA Sports' biggest franchise and indeed one of the most notable franchises in all of videogames. While the producers of the game were careful to tell us that the footage we saw (the very same footage that will roll on Saturday) is not in-game--but rather EA Sports artists' "target video" of what next generation hardware will be capable of--they did claim that the final product will actually be superior in quality to the footage in the commercial. Will this be the case? Only time will tell. For now, let's get to the nitty gritty of the commercial's plot itself. Spoiler warning: If you want Saturday's airing of the next-generation Madden title to be your first exposure to the game, read no further.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/..._6122758.html?tag=boxcar_all_preview_headline

For one, i think there could be more geometry on those models. I can see the polygon faces making up the guy's collar and fingers.

Yeah, there are problems with making a football game cinematic...

That is why Madden needs HMD support ;)

Now that would be next gen (and totally awesome). Imagine walking up to the line of scrimmage while scanning left and right reading the defense. As you take position under center the defense shift with the SS now crouching the line right over center... the SS is yelling at you, waving his arms tell you how you wish you had stayed at home... you hike the ball and see the defense blitz so you look to your hot route but he is jammed, so you quickly look left, nothing there so you look to your TE and see him breaking across the middle on a safety valve route. You set... you begin to throw... and bam! Your vision goes all blurry and the world tosses all around and then darkness... blind side sack and your KOed.

VR does not work for every game, but it would be totally immersive in sports games, especially since the contoller would control your feet/movements, you head only giving you a sense of "being there" and seeing what a real player would see.

Oh well, I am hoping for 2011 ;)

I wish Microsoft would release a Infra Red head tracking system for the X-Box 360. It would be a big step in the right direction imho. The impact on games would be signifigant. Take Madden for example. The ability to either tilt your head left or right to pan the screen left and right or lift your head up to have the camera to look downfield would be awesome.

In a game like Steel Battalion it would add a lot, just like it would to any type of simulator style of game.

Check out this video of Infra Red tracking being used on a PC.

http://media.naturalpoint.com/video/trackIR_big.wmv

no no no no no head tracking would not be very good for other than a gimmick.
To work reliably it would need to track relatively large head movements (not your head needs to be large but... you know). But you'd still need to look at the screen at the same time so you wouldn't be able to look to your left by turning your head unless there were monitors to your side.
I know you don't have eyes that stare fixed directly ahead, but you could turn your eyes to see the screen even if your head is turned, but it's not very comfortable over longer periods especially if you 've turned your head over 12,5 degrees.
If it tracked much smaller movements of your head, then you'd need to keep your head very still unless you wanted your viewpoint to turn unintentionally.
A control system like that would be very stressfull. It gets easier with big screens viewed relatively close, but in normal average livingrooms it would not work that well in high speed action games such as American fotball.

Brimstone said:
Infra Red tracking

That is great!

For a PC. The problem is head tracking probably would not work as well on a couch 6-12 feet away from a TV :( The other problem is when you move your head you are forced to look out of the corners of your eye. I wear glasses and that can be a problem depending on how far I have to turn. While not as big of an issue on a large monitor 24in away, it could be on a TV.

Not dissing the idea... LOVE the idea... just like I am really behind goggles also... but there is work yet to be done before it can work in everything. But who knows maybe the Camera in the X2 can do this type of stuff :!:

rabidrabbit said:
no no no no no head tracking would not be very good for other than a gimmick.
To work reliably it would need to track relatively large head movements (not your head needs to be large but... you know). But you'd still need to look at the screen at the same time so you wouldn't be able to look to your left by turning your head unless there were monitors to your side.
I know you don't have eyes that stare fixed directly ahead, but you could turn your eyes to see the screen even if your head is turned, but it's not very comfortable over longer periods especially if you 've turned your head over 12,5 degrees.
If it tracked much smaller movements of your head, then you'd need to keep your head very still unless you wanted your viewpoint to turn unintentionally.
A control system like that would be very stressfull. It gets easier with big screens viewed relatively close, but in normal average livingrooms it would not work that well in high speed action games such as American fotball.

I assume the ability to turn it on and off would just be a simply button press.

Acert93 said:
Racing game => :oops: THAT is how a racing game should play :oops:

WWII Flight Sim

Long Video of MS Flight Sim 2004

Notice how you can not only pan left-right/up-down, but also shift your head/body left-right/up-down.

This type of immersion can not be measured in Polygons, Shaders, Texture Maps and the like. And only $140 :oops: If more games supported it...

I really enjoyed Pilot Wings on the N64. I'd love to see a Pilot Wings clone on the X-Box 360 with IR Tracking. Just flying around on a Hand-Glider and the ability to scan around by just turning my head. A next-gen Steel Battalion game with the full blown dedicated controller with IR tracking would be totally immersive.

Brimstone said:
I really enjoyed Pilot Wings on the N64. I'd love to see a Pilot Wings clone on the X-Box 360 with IR Tracking. Just flying around on a Hand-Glider and the ability to scan around by just turning my head. A next-gen Steel Battalion game with the full blown dedicated controller with IR tracking would be totally immersive.

I think this would work for a game like Pilot Wings (although the X2 is not gonna get PW as it is a Nintendo game ;) ). If you could overcome the hurdles (namely this works great on a PC because you are right in front of the monitor) I think it would appeal to a different breed of gamers.

I do not understand it, but some people just like to "fly" and "explore" and not kill, mame, or blow anything up :? Yeah, I know--psychos! But they exist. Anyhow, with next gen visuals I could see a flight sim, like PW, where you just fly around and enjoy the world would appeal to a lot of people. Hmm even without head tracking I think people would be interested in that type of game.

Acert93 said:
Brimstone said:

I think this would work for a game like Pilot Wings (although the X2 is not gonna get PW as it is a Nintendo game ;) ). If you could overcome the hurdles (namely this works great on a PC because you are right in front of the monitor) I think it would appeal to a different breed of gamers.

I do not understand it, but some people just like to "fly" and "explore" and not kill, mame, or blow anything up :? Yeah, I know--psychos! But they exist. Anyhow, with next gen visuals I could see a flight sim, like PW, where you just fly around and enjoy the world would appeal to a lot of people. Hmm even without head tracking I think people would be interested in that type of game.

Well Microsoft has MS Flight Simulator and they could easily turn that into a Pilot Wings clone.

I don't see why IR tracking further away would be a problem. It can be calibrated. A X-Box live headset could be sold with a IR reflective coating I presume. It's not like a simple dot for the camera to track is the only option.

More false advertiseing from EA.

Personally I doubt the final game will have that kind of AA or filtering in general.

Back