This is really pissing me off, and I don't know where to go for help.

It's been exactly one week since my 2 month old HIS Radeon x1650xt Video Card died, and I've been trying to contact my manufacturer for a replacement. I've sent them like 4 (or more, I lost track) e-mails already throughout the week and received one reply on Monday. That reply was actually a reply to my query that got answered by the folks here at B3D and ATI tech support. Since then, I've repeatedly sent e-mails to their RMA e-mail address but haven't heard from them since. I am very pissed off to say the least. I checked the HIS website contact info, and I see no other way other than e-mail. I am NOT spending money on a long distance phone call to their office in Hong Kong just so I can get a replacement for my card!

Their warranty info also states that I should contact the place I bought my card from, which was newegg. I had a little chat with the folks there but they won't replace my card since I've destroyed the original packaging box to get the UPC for my rebate. So that's out of the question. I even asked newegg about the box issue and they said the manufacturer won't ask to have the card return with the box, so I should be ok there. Of course, right now, I have bigger problems than packaging box.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I'd file a complaint to HIS, but I'm probably just going to be ignored anyway. I don't know where else to turn for help in this case.

This is exactly the type of horror story that prevents me from purchasing third party video cards. Not even Sapphire. Official only.

I've never even heard of HIS, but most businesses tend to straighten up and fly right when you throw around the word "lobby a complaint to the Better Business Bureau." I don't know how it would apply to overseas businesses, but it makes a decent sized splash here in the States. Try checking out the reputation of the company using their website:

http://www.bbb.org/

Also I don't see why you don't just call them. Yes, it's painful to have to be charged for long distance, but you obviously don't need it replaced bad enough if you don't want to spend a few bucks for a phone call. Don't keep assuming you'll just be "ignored." Chances are your problem relating to your email may have been regarding a number of factors.

Newegg got your money. They are legally required to help you if you still got warranty left.

Thoughts on buying a new one, swapping parts, and returning it as the new? I only ask about this as it sounds like HIS are giving you the shaft and NewEgg isn't being helpful either.

Their warranty info also states that I should contact the place I bought my card from, which was newegg. I had a little chat with the folks there but they won't replace my card since I've destroyed the original packaging box to get the UPC for my rebate. So that's out of the question

I'm not really sure about US law (since im European), but as long as they got your money, and your GPU broke down by something covered the warranty, its irrelevant if you have the box or not, atleast by EU law.

This is exactly the type of horror story that prevents me from purchasing third party video cards. Not even Sapphire. Official only.

Where do you get officially branded cards? The only ATi branded card i've ever owned has been this x800xt in my office system, and that was a random lucky eBay purchase (fantastic price). Do retailers usually stock them? (Or...retailers in America, never see them in stores here). Are ATi themselves generally better to deal with in replacing a faulty card? Sorry for the OT, just curious :smile:

Where do you get officially branded cards? The only ATi branded card i've ever owned has been this x800xt in my office system, and that was a random lucky eBay purchase (fantastic price). Do retailers usually stock them? (Or...retailers in America, never see them in stores here). Are ATi themselves generally better to deal with in replacing a faulty card? Sorry for the OT, just curious :smile:

When I bought my X1900 XTX, Newegg sold an official ATI variant. I caught it right when it came out, costing me somewhere near $650. It's nice to see there's been drastic changes to pricing upon release with new cards.

I'm not really sure about US law (since im European), but as long as they got your money, and your GPU broke down by something covered the warranty, its irrelevant if you have the box or not, atleast by EU law.

Hmmm... I'm no good with laws. You know a site where I can check out to see if the same applies to the US?

No idea, the biggest problem with your legal system is that its practically made out of no actual laws (paragraphs) but only based on precedents. Its good for lawyers tho, because it makes things practically impossible for a normal guy to find out stuff without spending some serious time researching.

Call. Seriously, I've never had any luck with emailing when it comes to RMAs. You call however and show your anger and business happens much quicker.

I was finally able to contact the RMA department of HIS. Turns out the e-mail they have on their site doesn't work or something. They gave me another e-mail and I got in contact with their RMA department. Considering the shit they put me through, I am NEVER going to buy a card from HIS ever again. I have to pay for the shipping and crap like that as well. Not only that, but it's still just a 1 year warranty. I wonder if I can pay a little extra to get another year or something.

To prevent future mishaps like mine, I suggest you guys buy from a company with life time warranty! Sure, the damn thing might be outdated in a year or so, but if you're buying the mainstream stuff, it's going to cost you a pretty penny, and if you're a piss poor college student/gamer, you probably won't want to throw the damn thing away after a year anyway. I'm not saying other companies' card won't die, but at least you have a warranty you can count on!!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advise. I hope you never have to go through what I went through.

Reminds me of the time I had to RMA my 3yo official Radeon64DDR to Ireland... :D

Those were good times. It had 5 years warranty and my only responsibility was to pay for the shipping from my side [cheap, I used regular mail]. 3 weeks later I had a new one at home. :D

Situations like yours are the norm, though... I've been a whole year waiting for a RMA'ed Yamaha CD burner once. Only got an answer after calling the importer repeatedly asking for news. :(

Good thing your situation is being resolved.
Good luck! ;)

Back