Thinking of trading in the 350Z...

Chrysler did not take over.

It was termed a merger, but Daimler really aquired chrysler, but they did not want to piss of americans, since americans buy lots of dodge vehicles. At least that is how I see it, sorry. The reasoning is that all the management went to daimlers folks after the Dodge guy retired, though that was a bit after the "merger"

Last edited by a moderator:
Moffell said:
Skimping on rust protection doesn't make sense even from the simplest money saving viewpoint.

Skimping on protection was not the problem, but the bad raw material from the suppliers. As I know it, there were no suppliers available which could deliver the appropriate materials without sky-high prices.

I know that's no excuse, but if any Merc driver discovers rust somewhere, just go to your local DC shop and you'll get it all repaired for free (provided you did regular inspections every 2 years as prescribed). My father just did that last week with his C-Class, the trunk had rust and they repaired it without any questions.

_xxx_ said:
My father just did that last week with his C-Class, the trunk had rust and they repaired it without any questions.

Then he went to the right shop. Swedish Mercedes owners who discover that their Premium car is a sieve and complain at the dealers have a very different tune to dance to. The dealers have to call Germany to make sure that they will be reimbursed from there. Onwards from there it will usually be the answer that 50% of the repair cost is covered, mostly depening on the damage. Then the dealer usually demands the other half from the customer.

Let me tell you Swedish Mercedes owners are steaming and the auto magazines have picked up on it as well. I'd imagine rust is a far bigger problem in Sweden than in Germany, the Scandinavian climate is very unforgiving for cars.

I simply don't buy the bad raw material stuff though. Sounds like a bad excuse to me Volvo's and SAAB's and almost all French brands have improved or maintained their quality on rust protection in the same time period. Volvo's in particular, they're amazing in that aspect.

Sxotty said:
Chryslet did not take over.

It was termed a merger, but Daimler really aquired chrysler, but they did not want to piss of americans, since americans buy lots of dodge vehicles. At least that is how I see it, sorry. The reasoning is that all the management went to daimlers folks after the Dodge guy retired, though that was a bit after the "merger"
Wow I never knew that.
How interesting.
I'll have to share that little nugget with my sister and her husband who both own DC cars (a 2000~ durango and a 2005 sebring).

radeonic2 said:
Wow I never knew that.
How interesting.
I'll have to share that little nugget with my sister and her husband who both own DC cars (a 2000~ durango and a 2005 sebring).

I expect chrystler group cars to make a serious improvement in quality soon. Daimler, however, I *hope* will increase in quality but I'm not going to count on it (chrystler group and daimler meaning before the merger to become DC)

Sage said:
I expect chrystler group cars to make a serious improvement in quality soon. Daimler, however, I *hope* will increase in quality but I'm not going to count on it (chrystler group and daimler meaning before the merger to become DC)
Well the dodge challenger is a step in the right direction.
They haven't had a "ponycar" in a long time.
You had the normal cars and then a viper :LOL:
I hope they do something with the viper have it regulurly updated to stay one step ahead of the corvette like it should given it's pricetag.
I wouldn't mind them ditching the V10 and boreing and stroking a hemi to make similar HP but in a lighter package.
They seriously need make a viper platform that doesn't weigh so much.

radeonic2 said:
Well the dodge challenger is a step in the right direction.
They haven't had a "ponycar" in a long time.
You had the normal cars and then a viper :LOL:
I hope they do something with the viper have it regulurly updated to stay one step ahead of the corvette like it should given it's pricetag.
I wouldn't mind them ditching the V10 and boreing and stroking a hemi to make similar HP but in a lighter package.
They seriously need make a viper platform that doesn't weigh so much.

personally, I hate the viper. I think it needs to go.

Sage said:
personally, I hate the viper. I think it needs to go.
What's to hate about it?
It sceams America on it.
Huge (read biggest engine avail in a "sports car" or whatever) so it has huge torque and power, huge wheels, does a 1/4 mile well under 12 seconds but it actually can turn decently and sets braking records (motor trend).
Fyi the viper coupe is more stable than the z06.. the z06 is more hardcore, more aggresive handling setup.
The viper understeers a bit- good for the rich idiots who buy them.
I wonder if with a more racey alightment to dial out the understeer it would hang better in the corners.
Cuz it doesn't really stand a chance on the straight since it's heavier the vette makes nearly the same HP.

the viper is the ugliest damned thing I've seen in my life. The only thing that comes close to being as ugly is the vette.

Moffell said:
Then he went to the right shop. Swedish Mercedes owners who discover that their Premium car is a sieve and complain at the dealers have a very different tune to dance to.

That's the problem of the individual shop being greedy. Sue them if needed, they HAVE to repair that. Only problem is if the owner didn't do the official maintenence regularly, that's a must.

Sage said:

Both have already improved significantly, also the warranty is quite a bit better now.

Viper rocks. It is a typical american muscle car as it should be. You should test-drive one just to get the feeling. It's got no ESP AFAICR, so don't get too carried away ;)

_xxx_ said:
Viper rocks. It is a typical american muscle car as it should be. You should test-drive one just to get the feeling. It's got no ESP AFAICR, so don't get too carried away ;)
I am glad someone agres.

I love the styling of the viper, I used to want one terribly but then I realized I was poor and decided I would get a WRX instead once I had money, but then my wife suggested we do it now even though we don't have money, but it was worth every penny :)

Anyway if I become filthy rich I may still get one later, but the charm has worn off to some extent now I hate the idea of stopping at every dip so you don't scratch the bottom (same goes for vettes though). But still how can anyone dislike it? It has lovely curves ;)

_xxx_ said:

well... i hate american muscle cars... so that's probably why I don't like it ;)
I might test drive one but they only come in manual :???:

Sage said:
well... i hate american muscle cars... so that's probably why I don't like it ;)
I might test drive one but they only come in manual :???:
But it isn't a typical 60s muscle car that will attempt to kill you try to turn a corner or have to suddenly stop.
Modern muscle car.. with a nice pushrod V10:smile:
The viper front end looks great imo.
Nice and arrogant I believe.. much attitude.
The new viper coupe rear end however is hideous.
IMO the GTS with ABS is easily the best looking viper and it performs remarkably well compared to the new ones.
Speaking of which, magazines are only getting 1/4 mile times in the 12.1~ range which is pathetic for the new engine.
The damn vert ran high 11s and the coupe isn't that much heavier.

blech! every time I look at one I want to puke. it looks like it has birth defects caused by inbreeding...

Actually I agree the new one is not better, the older GTS looks much nicer.

Sage man you have to learn to drive a manual if you want to be a car enthusiast ;) Otherwise your viewpoint will be relegated to the status of a soccer mom.

Back