Thinking of trading in the 350Z...

Sxotty said:
On the topic of controllable skids I would say either an AWD car or a RWD car just pounds the daylights out of FWD as you said. I have found my WRX handles very nice in a skid though my wife does not appreciate that fact :)

edit:
I too want to mess around with our wrx when we get older and have money, it should be very fun to throw in the sti tranny, and some new engine in 100,000 miles.
Just practice a bit more often, to be able to handle dangerous situations.

;-)

Really, you have the best car there is at the moment to take out and have some fun, if you like that. Just do it somewhere without many dangerous obstacles.

When you're starting to fly most of the time, due to your speed and the uneven surface, it's very rewarding when you think about how you avoided colliding with all the trees and stuff that were coming your way, afterwards, and all the corners you did take (without really wondering about it at that moment) with a speed about three times too great in normal circumstances, but when you have a family you might want a crash cage installed before doing stuff like that. Just in case.

;-)

Btw.

I would really recommend everyone to take a crash course (the kind that learns you how to get out of dangerous situations while driving a car in one piece). You only live once, after all. And a really serious traffic accident is around the corner to all of us.

Just make a distinction between driving safely and going for it when you can. Prepare a bit for the other one as well.

DiGuru said:
When you're starting to fly most of the time, due to your speed and the uneven surface, it's very rewarding when you think about how you avoided colliding with all the trees and stuff that were coming your way, afterwards, and all the corners you did take (without really wondering about it at that moment) with a speed about three times too great in normal circumstances, but when you have a family you might want a crash cage installed before doing stuff like that. Just in case.

Yeah what I loved was up in the rockies on the twisty roads with speed limits of 65 but every corner rated at 25 mph or less makes for super fun especially the dips and stuff.. Anyway yeah my wrx has the sti suspension already, and a few oter bits, but my next things on my wish list are actually a kevlar skid plate (like $450) and I do want a cage actually it would be sweet, but I don't know anyone who can weld aluminum, and I did not want a steel cage cause it is a lot heavier... ah well. I was driving it around at Moab, (which is in southern Utah btw) and some of the dirt roads there were just sweet, like fine sand 6inches deep-1 foot and you just wallow around the corners at high speed it kinda skitters and slides but it feels like a rudder of a ship almost pulls you back into the ruts kinda you know, anyway need a skid plate for more of that dont wanna bust my oil pan...

Sxotty said:
Yeah what I loved was up in the rockies on the twisty roads with speed limits of 65 but every corner rated at 25 mph or less makes for super fun especially the dips and stuff.. Anyway yeah my wrx has the sti suspension already, and a few oter bits, but my next things on my wish list are actually a kevlar skid plate (like $450) and I do want a cage actually it would be sweet, but I don't know anyone who can weld aluminum, and I did not want a steel cage cause it is a lot heavier... ah well. I was driving it around at Moab, (which is in southern Utah btw) and some of the dirt roads there were just sweet, like fine sand 6inches deep-1 foot and you just wallow around the corners at high speed it kinda skitters and slides but it feels like a rudder of a ship almost pulls you back into the ruts kinda you know, anyway need a skid plate for more of that dont wanna bust my oil pan...
Sounds like great fun to me!

;-) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
DiGuru said:
Horse Power, about 0.7 KW/H. I don't know if it's the same unit in the US. But it's probably a close match.

Most cars around here have about 75 HP.

Edit: corrected, I posted it backwards.

you cant be serious...! surely you mean 175!?

Really, there is much more fun in driving than taking the highway to and from work every day!!!

And speed by itself is like brands and looks (or fashion, like Sage said), only a question of money and prestige. Why would anyone buy an expensive car that only impresses your peers who know nothing about the joy of really driving? It's like buying a 7800, just because that gives you bragging rights.

:D

Don't ask me. I will just tell you what I wrote above. People in general have no notion of the technicalities, specialities and performance of cars above the brand, looks and horsepower. And going straight out on a real road. Duh. Like with computers and stuff.

Corners and bad roads beat traffic light launches and straight on speed every time. Unless you only want to show how much money you spent on it.

Sage said:
you cant be serious...! surely you mean 175!?
Nope. Efficient cars rule here, horsepower is for the rich. And there really is no need to have a fast car when all the others are powered just as much as they need to be and nothing more. And the roads are build to handle any car.

DiGuru said:
Nope. Efficient cars rule here, horsepower is for the rich. And there really is no need to have a fast car when all the others are powered just as much as they need to be and nothing more. And the roads are build to handle any car.

wow i consider 175hp to be an economy car... mine is just 215 (but its also a pretty small car so that helps)

Sage said:
wow i consider 175hp to be an economy car... mine is just 215 (but its also a pretty small car so that helps)
I know. That's why Europeans start to lauch when Americans complain about the cost of driving or gas. Or the notion of "efficient" cars that get "as much as" 25 miles per gallon and "only" have 200 HP!!! It's a bit surreal to us.

You will get to the maximum speed about as fast in either case, and traffic lights and stalls or other obstructions cost much more time than you can gain by going even twice as fast (some specials examples excluded), if even legally allowed.

DiGuru said:
You will get to the maximum speed about as fast in either case, and traffic lights and stalls or other obstructions cost much more time than you can gain by going even twice as fast (some specials examples excluded), if even legally allowed.

but there are the whole merging and passing issues... and most travelling I do is not where there are traffic lights or other obstructions.

Digi I found the perfect car for you man, check this out here

Seriously man I bet you like it ;)
And it meets your desire for all wheel drive as any car should now

Sxotty said:
Digi I found the perfect car for you man, check this out here

Seriously man I bet you like it ;)
And it meets your desire for all wheel drive as any car should now
It looks sweet, but $50k sweet I don't know about...if it even happens.

Besides, I still want a backseat. We've decided pretty much on keeping the Z and just getting another car, but we're holding off on finding out what is happening to my wife's job before committing to anything. (They're supposed to be giving her a raise soon, we'll find out next week)

_xxx_ said:
No, 75. Here as well. Remember, we pay 3-4x more for gasoline here and earn about the same after taxes and all ;)

then... what kind of cars do you drive!? i didnt even think you could get a car with that kind of hp unless you got like a dodge neon or pt cruiser. damned 3-cylinders!

Sage said:
then... what kind of cars do you drive!? i didnt even think you could get a car with that kind of hp unless you got like a dodge neon or pt cruiser. damned 3-cylinders!

All brands you can think of. BMW3 starts with a 1.6l engine, VW Polo/Lupo/Golf and clones start at 1.2l or 1.4l and so on. The smallest engines here are at about 45 hp or so, lots of these everywhere. Cheap and don't consume much. I'm driving a BMW3 2.0l diesel with 136 hp, which is just a notch above "average".

But you just can't beat 6.7l/100 km (or 36.2 mpg for US people) :cool:
EDIT: that's with automatic, with manual transmission that would be 5.4l/100km / 39.7 mpg

wow i figured your 2.0l would be turbo'd... MB's little 1.8l 230's are turbo'd so i figured in order to compete BMW's bottom end would also have to be turbo'd.

why is my edit gone!? i just remembered that MB's are supercharged, not turbo'd

Ok got that, so there it is clear that the weight makes no difference, b/c it is directly proportional to friction.

So what do you change?
The coefficient of friction between the tire and the rubber, you can either change the road surface i.e. "it is snowing oh shit a tree" or the tire compound the rubber.

Now what else effects the braking distance?
The friction between the rotor and the pad. How do you change this?

Same answer, you can change the pad compound, but you have to balance heat with stickiness.
That's fine and all, but only if you can invariably assume that just because a car is AWD or weighs more than some other car that the rubber compound will be stickier or that the brakes will be more powerful to compensate for the difference. Or are you suggesting that the same brakes and tires on a heavier car means that the difference in braking distance is marginal as opposed to a lighter vehicle?

Anyway...
Ummm... damn... you'd better be getting paid up the wazoo to be thinking like that. Even though I'm also in the US and in an area where there are more Hummers than any other type of vehicle, I'm still lucky to get a 125 hp econobox people-mover (while I do admit it's anemic on power going uphill, that's still what I'd consider economy). I'd be bouncing off the wall if I could afford something that had 215 bhp.

While I grew up where it wasn't unusual to find cars that ran on 25 bhp. Even now, they still make that characteristic clicky sound because they're all diesels with cylinder bores so tiny you couldn't fit two fingers in there. Still, once you've driven with 160+ hp and actually seen what it's like to regularly drive faster than 35 mph, it kind of spoils you.

Back