They killed my childhood! Star Wars is utter tripe!

wireframe

Veteran
***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Being the non-movie-goer type I only just saw Revenge of the Sith today on DVD. My god!! What utter and awful tripe it was. I suffered more than Anakin watching it all the way through. I realize there are hundreds of such posts, but I feel I must vent this or I will burst and thus fall to the dark side.

George Lucas is not famous for his believable dialogue, but the words spoken in RotS could have come from the Bells (Bold and the Beautiful, anyone?). We are talking soap dialogue of the worst variety here, folks. It was painful to listen to. To make matters worse, it seems that George and his team do not fully understand what was created in the original Star Wars. Watching and listening objectively you cannot attach these personas to the ones we know (or will know) in the following episodes.

In talking about the dialogue and characters, mention Yoda I must. What the hell? We know he speaks funny, but don't over do it. He is supposed to be the introspecitve monk type, not one to blurt out 100 inverted sentences per minute. Someone stick a sock in that muppet before I cry.

The birth of Darth Vader was the most horrible thing I have ever seen. It was ok, and almost leaning towards good, when he was made half the man he used to be. For a moment there I thought I could forget the incredible focus on CGI in the background and witness the birth of my childhood fear...but no. He was assembled in some pathetic way with cape already on (come on!!) and then let out some horrible "nooo!!!" (I responded in kind "no yuo!!!"). My goodness, I thought I was going to upchuck.

In their warpspeed attempt to knit everything to together they even have the Death Star work order being processed. In this majestic fleet of ships and endless clones and droids, are we to believe that it will take them 20 years to assemble that? Not that it is not a possible scenario, but it was completely unnecessary as it tied too much into the following Episode 4 when we know it is far off in the future (Luke and Leia are just babies).

After it was over, and to be honest, most of the way through it, I kept wondering:

How can so much effort and time be put into such complete garbage?

Why didn't someone make sure the story worked and worked well before creating all these absolutely amazing and mindblowing effects and models? I am going to cry...

There were so many opportunities lost. *sniff*

Oh, and one more little observation that annoyed me while it is still my rant. Did anyone else notice and dislike how rigid everything is even though the designs of many things are organic? For example, in the intro battle sequence Anakin and Ben fly in perfect tandem. The whole beauty of Star Wars was that it was basically a "Battle of Midway" in space. It is not supposed to be all computer controlled looking and feeling. It is supposed to give you that feeling that even though technology changes, the people the pilot them are the same and that gives it life. It is messy and a bit dirty.

Unfortunately, according to the saga of Star Wars, as it now stands (with it having been ruined by 3 prequels), we are to believe that everything was very advanced before the Empire came along. Everything was pretty and clean and shiny. This is wrong, wrong, I tell you. It was organic before the Empire and the Empire is what made it clean but sterile. It is supposed to reflect the overbearing focus on technology, instead of life, that gives the Empire power, but makes it powerless at the same time. That was the idea.

No yuo&!^&^!!!

Yoda was one little badass, but I was too depressed to even find that amusing. Perhaps the idea of a coughing droid had already alerted my brain to two hours of deceit and treachery. Gawd...and now I remember that pathetic tie-in to Chewbacca. At least these desperate attempts to tie it together shows that they knew they were missing something. Maybe they should have thought of this before beginning production...

Oh, and there's even more now that I think about it. Darth Sidious' killing of the Jedi. This "magnificent jump" and suddenly they all cannot event attempt to defend themselves? Some of the lightsaber fighting looked like the geriatric olympics for crying out loud. Pathetic...

I could go on and on and on...but I am so disgusted, forget I saw this I must.

i thought the original star wars (episode 4) was a refreshing change, till i discovered in a documentary it was an almost exact rehash of 1940's serials shown at movies...exchange ships and ocean with spacecraft and space. plot, characters, music, everything...copied...from a fad long dead.

the following movies threw in more and more "cutesy and cliched".

if there's anything to herald from the star wars saga it was the ushering in of new special effects techniques. everything else was packaging....used packaging.

Oh, I agree. Star Wars was: take a samurai movie, add a cowboy/western and the battle of midway in space and there you go. But it worked. It went beyond just being the effects, which were absolutely amazing at the time and, in my opinion, still better looking than their CGI counterparts.

Star Wars 4-6 did all that and kept the emotions and even the back-story at bay. That's why it worked. Episodes 1-3 seem so desperate to show the whys that there is nothing left. Anakins love for Padme is a joke. I don't mean that in the strict sense, perhaps he should not even know how to love...(hint hint)...but show that, don't say it with bad dialogue.

I feel like I watched a billion dollar soap opera.

OMG, I just checked IMDB and it has a rating of 8.0 out of 10 :oops:

This means that ... I don't even want to think what that may mean... :cry:

Yes, i thought it couldn't get any worse than Ep 2, but well i was in pain with laughter at how bad Ep 3 was by the end of it.

Got this from somewhere :devilish:
Awful things about Episode III (contains spoilers) :

Lucas had 3 films to show the gradual change of Anakin into Vader but instead chose to make the transition last a couple of days, devoting a few short minutes of screen time to this pivotal event. Anakin went from good Jedi to ultimate baddy in what seemed like minutes. One minute he was telling Padme he loved her and was contemplating fatherhood, the next minute he was massacring Jedi children.

And why did he convert to the Dark Side? For ultimate power? The cool outfits? No, because he had a dream that his wife would die in childbirth. Oh, right, well that explains it then. That is soooo convincing. Hey, they live in a society of spaceships, androids and magical powers but women still die in childbirth, apparently.

When Palpatine reveals himself to be none other than a dark Sith Lord what does Anakin do? He goes, "Ummm, I think maybe I should tell the Jedi council about this." He then trots of to tell the Council who then send a couple of guys to arrest him (even though the fate of the galaxy rests on him being taken in). Nobody seems in the least surprised at this revelation, either.

It also begs the question why the all-powerful Jedi Council couldn't detect, using their force intuition, the fact that the Supreme Chancellor was, in fact, a Sith Lord. Nope, despite all those eminent Jedi being around the Chancellor (who, lest we forget, had assumed absolute power) not one of them even suspected him. Gosh, amazing force powers there!

Instead of an Epic Battle between the Jedi and the Clone Troopers we get five minutes of the Jedi getting their sorry asses kicked by a load of dumb troops. In one scene two Clone Troopers defeat a Jedi. Given clone troopers are the forerunner of the famously dumb storm-troopers this does raise the question: "Why are the Jedi so crap?". Most of them couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

Yoda still looks like a CGI muppet on crack. Also, one minute he's walking with a stick and the next thing he's bouncing around like flubber.

In the final battle between Anakin and Obi Wan on the lava planet how come neither of them were burnt to toast, even though they were inches above molten magma? At one point they stood on a bare metal frame immersed in molten rock. Doesn't heat conduct in this corner of the galaxy?

Why did the Battle Droids suddenly develop camp voices? Yeah, lets design the ultimate killing machine and then give it a comical voice - that will scare the enemy!

After defeating Anakin, Obi Wan tells him how he loved him like a brother. Then he walks off and leaves Anakin, who is still alive, to burn slowly to death. Nice one!

General Grievous. Just everything. The cough. Worst bad guy ever. And what an original name!

Lucas, having realised the script needs Padme to die, decides that she will simply, "Loose the will to live". Like most of the audience...

We've waited since 1977 to hear Vader's first ominous words. We didn't quite expect them to be, "Anyone heard from Padme, recently?". Still, even that was better than the cringe-worthy, "NOooooooooo!" Vader emits.

Nathalie Portman is actually a good actor (see 'Closer', for example). However, if you give her the worst dialogue in recent movie history then she will come across as wet and stupid. Thank you, George.

Far too much reliance on visually overpowering CGI that swamped the viewer with detail and yet managed to convey zero atmosphere. Can anyone recall any of the worlds in Episode III? Not one of them had the atmosphere or solidity of Tatooine. Half the film felt like one long advertisement for Industrial Light & Magic. Technically brilliant but devoid of soul or imagination.

Bah, Star Wars always sucked.

Go watch the Doom movie and you'll see SW as a masterpiece in comparison, though ;)

The Hulk Quoting "something from somewhere said:
Lucas, having realised the script needs Padme to die, decides that she will simply, "Loose the will to live". Like most of the audience...

LOL! Hey, maybe I can get some entertainment out of this yet!

_xxx_ said:
Bah, Star Wars always sucked.

Go watch the Doom movie and you'll see SW as a masterpiece in comparison, though ;)

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!... not the Doom movie.... what a fuckup that is....
this is another reason why i'll DL movies rather then trust hyped up trailers.... i have flatrate and i feel like i wasted bandwidth.... thats how good it is.... worst POS in long time...

epicstruggle said:
wireframe, did you watch the animated series ( Clone wars ) before watching the dvd?

epic

Nope. Should I be thankful?

I am not a super Star Wars junkie by any stretch of the imagination. I grew up with these movies and owne them on multiple formats. I don't watch them every day or even every year. They are just "around". I have enjoyed some games based on the franchise though.

To me, this perhaps not so serious...but it is like making a Titanic 2: The Titanic Goes for it Again. (It just begs the question why? why, lord? whyyyyyy?)

thehulk said:
Got this from somewhere :devilish:

A high school publication? I was pretty disappointed by the films too, but that just sounds like someone mouthing-off about a film they decided was rubbish before they even saw it.

wireframe said:
Nope. Should I be thankful?
Well, a lot of things would have made more sense with the movie had you watched Clone Wars first. It shouldnt be hard to get a hold of them. (legally i hope).

Try to get a hold of it and give it a shot, im sure a few of the gripes you have about RotS will be resolved once you see CW.

epic

epicstruggle said:
Try to get a hold of it and give it a shot, im sure a few of the gripes you have about RotS will be resolved once you see CW.
I doubt this very much. No setup could possibly prepare me for and make me accept the presentation of RotS. Perhaps you could explain just a little what you think I may be missing in order to fully appreciate RotS.

I think the Hulk nailed it with the quote. I am stunned at how they just unravelled this thing with no hesitation or shame.

I guarantee it that this is not the same type of "garbage" that some accuse the first three of being. I can still pop in The Empire Strikes Back and enjoy it for what it is without the nostalgia.

EDIT: you read my mind. Thanks for the link.

I watched Sith last night on DVD and sat there thinking, "How did I find this even remotely enjoyable in the theater?" Crap, utter crap.

John Reynolds said:
I watched Sith last night on DVD and sat there thinking, "How did I find this even remotely enjoyable in the theater?" Crap, utter crap.
I think this may be what I missed out on. It must have some redeeming qualities on a huge crisp screen with massive sound. However, as you have just indicated it cannot survive the transition to a home format.

Was I wrong in seeing the seriousness in Star Wars? The very deep and moving story about growing up, learning about your parents, the world, and your place in it. The need to believe and the need for order without oppression.

I see all these very deep symbols in Star Wars and they are not carried through to the last three, as if someone totally different wrote them and never understood the originals beyond the surface.

Also, is it just me or did the pie-in-the-face presentation of imperialism v democracy and cooperation get a very strong slant related to current events?

Paraphrasing:
"If you are not with me...you are my enemy" -Anakin (I heard W Bush in that)
"So this is how democracy falls, with everyone cheering it on" -Padme (relating to how many are talking about the collapse of US freedoms)

The 3 prequels: So much time and money spent on special effects, so little spent on plot/dialogue.

Hmmm. Change 'special effects' to 'graphics' and change 'plot/dialogue' to 'gameplay' and you could be talking about practically every game released these days too!

I found all 3 of the prequels utterly witless although I didn't mind Attack of the Clones as much as the other two. I've actually read quite a few of the post Episode 6 books. Some of these were very enjoyable and fleshed out the Star Wars universe. I can only imagine Lucas hasn't even looked at any of these as he arbitrarily contradicted practically everything in these titles. I mean, where did the "Jedi can't marry" stuff come from?

wireframe said:
Also, is it just me or did the pie-in-the-face presentation of imperialism v democracy and cooperation get a very strong slant related to current events?

Yea, I think Lucas was taking a few not-so-sly jabs at the Bush administration with some of Palpatine's dialogue. I also thought the same thing, though, with Serenity, particularly River's "we're meddlesome and don't have the right" line.

MuFu said:
A high school publication? I was pretty disappointed by the films too, but that just sounds like someone mouthing-off about a film they decided was rubbish before they even saw it.
Why ? I agree with most of what the writer said.
Bottom line, RotS sucked big time :rolleyes:
But I'm still gonna get the prequel trilogy boxset when it comes out just for completeness.

thehulk said:
Why ? I agree with most of what the writer said.
Bottom line, RotS sucked big time :rolleyes:
But I'm still gonna get the prequel trilogy boxset when it comes out just for completeness.

i have it all but the last DVD. and i think i won't buy that one as a statement of solidarity with those who think it's crap.

i protest george lucas by only giving him around $200 of my life's income (had some VHS of the prequel too), but that last $20...you're just gonna have to do without!

Back