The wonder that is GT4

I tried to find the cabinet in the internet and this is what I got.

The cabinet I sat in was slightly different though. The car was directly connected into a PS2slim, the paintwork was different on th emitsubishi cabinet, that metalic square panel was build in into the car, and they had only one cabinet with a smaller screen at the front than 2 cabinets and 2 HUGE monitors in these pics. We were also limited into playing in the Swiss Alps only
(the article says GT3. Its actually GT4 running)

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3833/

http://www.gizmag.com/picture.php?s=22&p=3833_01.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/picture.php?s=22&p=3833_02.jpg

GT4 really wasn't that realistic, the creators even admitted that the times for how fast acceleration, braking, etc. were adjusted to be close to magazine times. Shifting and the tire traction also didn't feel realistic.

For consoles, I thought PGR3 did a better job because you could rely less on the brake (downshift instead).

hehe reminds me of the top gear episode were Jeremy tries to get the same laptime at laguana seca (or was it a other circuit?) as he did on gt4. Obviously, he failed. The handling ofcourse is different but the tracks also arnt 100% perfect. There were some hills that hide the corners IRL but he could see the corners coming in the game. Also he could go flat out in some corners on gt4 but couldnt to that IRL.

hehe reminds me of the top gear episode were Jeremy tries to get the same laptime at laguana seca (or was it a other circuit?) as he did on gt4. Obviously, he failed. The handling ofcourse is different but the tracks also arnt 100% perfect. There were some hills that hide the corners IRL but he could see the corners coming in the game. Also he could go flat out in some corners on gt4 but couldnt to that IRL.
true a game simulation is never gonna be like the real thing
but suppose they were?
u should be able to faster times with a game, due to the fact you can push it to the limits without worring that u might crash + die or write off the expensive car

You will have the same issues playing GT4 on your PS2 and GT4 on that cabinet as well.

There is physics on the driver involved as well, which is absent in a game. The cabinet incorporates all these into GT4

I play the same track on my PS2 and the same track on the mitsubishi cabinet feels completely different (I mean the GT4 simulation at the exhibition).

Also in real life you are concerned of actual damage. The thought affects your performance.

I think the correct way of putting it would be that not all tracks are 100% perfect. Having said that, some of the tracks are the best currently available in any game. In fact, if the realism of the tracks were the sole measure for realism in console racing games, GT4 would win hands down. And unless recently a game improved upon it, the Nurburgring in GT4 beats all others. La Sarthe isn't bad either, coming in both the current and historical version. The others too, are very realistic.

I'm not in fact sure why Laguna turned out different, but you might want to ask what year GT4's Laguna was based on, because tracks have a habit of experiencing smaller and/or larger adjustments over time. More importantly, what kind of tires was Jeremy running on when he played GT4, why didn't he have tire-wear on, and why wasn't he using the wheel - as any expert on GT4 knows that these factors all affect GT4s realism significantly.

And finally, why neglect to mention you're not driving the same NSX in game as you are on the track. Eh?

His main point though was that what makes the difference between the game and reality, is the sense of speed, and more importantly, the fear of damage and death that comes with driving Laguna in real life.

That part, at least, he was right about.

Or the one where he spends 2 days at Nurnburg to get under 10 minutes and the local taxi driver (on the ring) does one round in his car and destroys his best time.

Besides flat out.... requires balls of steel..

Like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVPYG9RSIoU

And it´s understanable why:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGwN6FxtlTo

What I thought was illustrated quite nicely in that episode of TopGear is that a game is a game and racing the real thing another. The point isn't really how accurate the tracks are (and I take it they are as accurate as they can get for the purpose it serves) - it's that in a game, it's easy to stay on the throttle flat-out with nothing more to lose than 10 seconds of your life while the game restarts the track after overdoing it on that last corner. In the real thing, you're in a car that's (in his case) not even his own and there's much more at stake than just crashing the car...

The amount of feedback you get in GT4, obviously, is quite limited.

There's also a large difference in playing GT4 with a joypad (as Clarkson did) or with the Logitech Force-Feedback Pro Wheel. With the joypad, it's somewhat easier to do quick laps quickly - when you change over to the wheel, lap times seem to drop a bit, with the end reward that if you master it, you'll be quicker than with the joypad in given time and practise.

-tfk- said:
Or the one where he spends 2 days at Nurnburg to get under 10 minutes and the local taxi driver (on the ring) does one round in his car and destroys his best time.

...Sabine Schmitz isn't really just a local taxi driver though, but easily one of the most experienced Nordschleife drivers out there (!). It's quite hilarious watching her nearly destroy Clarkson's top time with the Jag in a Van a few episodes later. :devilish:

GT4 really wasn't that realistic, the creators even admitted that the times for how fast acceleration, braking, etc. were adjusted to be close to magazine times. Shifting and the tire traction also didn't feel realistic.

For consoles, I thought PGR3 did a better job because you could rely less on the brake (downshift instead).

In addition to what Crayon already pointed out, I would add that 'engine-braking' can be lethal to your car if not done with appropriate care. I know of a friend of a friend who crashed a rented Ferrari while doing some of that 'engine braking' just before a corner (perhaps he was trying H&T..). As the rear-wheels locked up, car oversteered and he lost control. MR cars can be especially dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Besides flat out.... requires balls of steel..

You do realize that this "local taxi driver" is equalient of a track-master ?

Shes the fastest driver in the world around nurbugring

You do realize that this "local taxi driver" is equalient of a track-master ?

Shes the fastest driver in the world around nurbugring

Yes got the videos, been dating her for a few weeks, couldn´t live with her because of her work.

Back