The wonder that is GT4

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
I ve experienced true driving simulation yesterday and I d love to share it with you guys.

GT4 doesnt show its real greatness until you play it in real simulation cabinet.

There is a car exhibition near me and they have a simulation.

It was a big screen placed in front of a car, which car was plugged through a PS2 slim playing GT4.

Imagine the force feedback only this time in an actual car which tilts,moves, changes weight according to your input and output of the enviroment. It was literally my best driving game simulation experince I ve ever playied. The behaviour of the cabinet was ULTRA realistic

It was like the real thing. The booth was Mitsubishi's and the car we drove was the Evolution in a rally truck.

I never knew that GT4 actually had such a function, specifically designed for simulation car cabinets.

The experience was phenomenal. It was exactly like driving the real thing. Driving aids were off and the wall hit penalties were more sensitive.

So the smallest mistake could be proven fatal.

The funny part is that people kind of underestimated the realism of the cabinet. So they tried to play it like a game.

I got the best timing of the day and until yesterday I was the fourth best time since the exhibition opened.

I think I ll go again. I am ddicted to the shit :D

Huge probs to Polyphiny Digital. If there are developers that can make a real driving simulation its PD's. They deserve the credit for all the content and attention to detail they put into it.

Cool.

I wonder how mutch that simulator cost? :)

drevil.jpg

100 Billion dollars :LOL:

Im sorry i just watched the film and could'nt resist :p

Um did they have a special version of GT4?

Because GT4 is hardly a good sim (its decent if u use the stock tires and no "tuning" turned on).

There is a hydrolic driven cabin available (people have linked here before) with loud speakers and all for about $30,000.

Because GT4 is hardly a good sim (its decent if u use the stock tires and no "tuning" turned on).

It's even more decent if you use tire-wear. Makes a big difference.

GT4 is a good sim. There are other games that are great Sims, though these usually limit themselves to a specific type of car.

In the context of a console base game, GT4 is easily the best there is. But if you want a competitive race you can forget it, the AI is worse that appalling.

You do have to play it using the Driving Force Pro wheel, this is worlds apart from how it plays with a joypad.

Stuff like Toca Race Driver 3 & Forza, just don't come any where close to GT4 for simulating driving a car round a race track.

I run a game club where we have 6 PS2's linked up with driving seats and driving force pro wheels.

I had the Rapid Chariots Lotus Exige racing team come for the night for a Christmas gaming party, these guys are not gameplayers, but they took to GT4 like ducks to water because they know how to drive real cars round a race track. After 2 hours they were beating my best times round the circuit.

n the context of a console base game, GT4 is easily the best there is. But if you want a competitive race you can forget it, the AI is worse that appalling.

Stuff like Toca Race Driver 3 & Forza, just don't come any where close to GT4 for simulating driving a car round a race track.

I run a game club where we have 6 PS2's linked up with driving seats and driving force pro wheels.

I had the Rapid Chariots Lotus Exige racing team come for the night for a Christmas gaming party, these guys are not gameplayers, but they took to GT4 like ducks to water because they know how to drive real cars round a race track. After 2 hours they were beating my best times round the circuit.

I totally disagree with that, while GT4 is a good car game, if you want something thats called realism or simulation there are plenty of better games.

If we for example compare real life laptimes with GT4 and Forza lap times it becomes pretty clear that GT4 is just way to fast. (Granted, Forza isnt exactly and ideal simulation game either and they get closer to real life track times due to the fact that they scaled the tracks 10% bigger than GT4) However, to be completely honest, i feel that Forza should be left out as a "sim" due to the fact that its not 60fps.

As far as physics goes, GT3 is actually better in certain cases when it comes to how the cars handle at low speeds when you want to play around with them. Physics in GT4 compared to Forza is a joke, where GT4 feels much more arcadeish than Forza. The difference in how the cars in Forza drive just due to fooling around with tire pressure and stuff like that, is just in a different league than what GT4 offers.

And all in all, claiming a game to be the best simulation game around, without even having damage in it, is wierd.

The problem with Forza imo, is that it doesnt have that same "in-car" feel that GT4 offers, it feels like your driving a damn hovercraft and not a car. GT4 instantly gave me a much better driving feeling than Forza. But Forza still whips it in terms of realism.

Toca also offers much more when it comes to how the cars actually handle around a track compared to GT4, and it doesnt offer ridiculus tuning parts like GT4, the tires in GT4 kind of ruins the whole thing (forgive me if im wrong, but doesnt alot of the DTM\Racing cars that you can win in GT4 come with "racing" tires as standart? Sold my PS2 a while ago.. Basically giving them grip around the tracks far much better than in real life).

GTR is however probably the best racing simulation there is, i hope we get a GTR3 for PS3\x360, if we would compare physics and car handling and stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally disagree with that, while GT4 is a good car game, if you want something thats called realism or simulation there are plenty of better games.

If we for example compare real life laptimes with GT4 and Forza lap times it becomes pretty clear that GT4 is just way to fast. (Granted, Forza isnt exactly and ideal simulation game either and they get closer to real life track times due to the fact that they scaled the tracks 10% bigger than GT4) However, to be completely honest, i feel that Forza should be left out as a "sim" due to the fact that its not 60fps.

As far as physics goes, GT3 is actually better in certain cases when it comes to how the cars handle at low speeds when you want to play around with them. Physics in GT4 compared to Forza is a joke, where GT4 feels much more arcadeish than Forza. The difference in how the cars in Forza drive just due to fooling around with tire pressure and stuff like that, is just in a different league than what GT4 offers.

And all in all, claiming a game to be the best simulation game around, without even having damage in it, is wierd.

The problem with Forza imo, is that it doesnt have that same "in-car" feel that GT4 offers, it feels like your driving a damn hovercraft and not a car. GT4 instantly gave me a much better driving feeling than Forza. But Forza still whips it in terms of realism.

Toca also offers much more when it comes to how the cars actually handle around a track compared to GT4, and it doesnt offer ridiculus tuning parts like GT4, the tires in GT4 kind of ruins the whole thing (forgive me if im wrong, but doesnt alot of the DTM\Racing cars that you can win in GT4 come with "racing" tires as standart? Sold my PS2 a while ago.. Basically giving them grip around the tracks far much better than in real life).

GTR is however probably the best racing simulation there is, i hope we get a GTR3 for PS3\x360, if we would compare physics and car handling and stuff like that.

I disagree with everything you say, GT3 and 4 is by far the best racing sensation i have ever experienced.

I disagree with everything you say, GT3 and 4 is by far the best racing sensation i have ever experienced.

You didn't even mange to read anything i say, as far as the feel of the game goes, i would take GT4 over any game i played. I also stated that above.

But if you want realism or simulation, GT4 is not the best game out there, not by a longshot.

"Best racing sensation" does not mean "best simulation".

Best racing sensation means, you have more fun in this game, not this game is closer to real life than the other.

If we for example compare real life laptimes with GT4 and Forza lap times it becomes pretty clear that GT4 is just way to fast.

You must be looking at over-tuned cars or something, because the times for the "ring" measure exactly to real life. I think this is one track that they measured and modeled more completely than their other "real life" tracks that inherited layouts from earlier gts. For many showroom cars, the laptimes match very closely to actual records, within seconds. If GT4 had a problem with physics then they would be all over the place as the track is extremely long.

There are also several accounts of professional race drivers being very close to perfect laptimes out of the box. If the physics were invented or bogus they would need considerable time to adapt.

Lastly in my own experience GT4 came closest to simulating the differences in feel between rear drive / rear engine, and 4wd and front wheel drive. I could immediately recognize the car from the "feel" in corners.

If you want to design a sim for a specifc car you can cheat, load it up with lookup tables, and claim "more realism", but to have a generalized model that takes weights, torque curves, drive trains, and cd factors, and then gets as close as GT4 does from one end of the car spectrum to the other, indicates a better underlying physics model than any single-car or single-class simulation. Their tuning options may send the cars off into lala-land (for the sake of usability).. obviously taking a GTR to 1000hp makes it much more fragile and lethal to drive than the in-game version.. but overall I think the gt4 package remains way ahead of any competition.

Isn't that a bit contradictory? :???:

You didn't even mange to read anything i say, as far as the feel of the game goes, i would take GT4 over any game i played. I also stated that above.

But if you want realism or simulation, GT4 is not the best game out there, not by a longshot.

"Best racing sensation" does not mean "best simulation".

Best racing sensation means, you have more fun in this game, not this game is closer to real life than the other.

It´s the best driving simulator hands down, and i don´t agree on the physics part either.

And your lap times is flawed as well.

No it´s not, it´s a choice where the punishment for making mistakes is something else and most other games (except the old f1 game with cars without downforce.. whats it name?) only "try" and fail when it comes to REAL damage models.

I think you and I have a history involving car topics. =) A short history where you are wrong and I am right 100% of the time.

GT4 fudges the players inputs to smooth them out. Otherwise, many people would not be able to play. For example, you tip the stick right to turn right, but you slam the stick all the way to the right - the game doesn't crank the wheel to full lock. It turns the wheel in at a rate that won't completly cross up the car. This quality mostly affect braking. GT4 is very forgiving when it comes to riding the brakes into turn in. This is the only place where I feel it affects a good player. You can overdo the trail braking...still ruins your time.

For someone who knows what they are doing behind the wheel of a car, GT4 is as reaslistic as you can get before the lack of real G's ruins it anyhow.

And the lack of damage means exactly nothing. You are not to be rewarded for driving backwards and trying to head-on other cars. Go play Burnout.

GT4 really wasn't that realistic, the creators even admitted that the times for how fast acceleration, braking, etc. were adjusted to be close to magazine times. Shifting and the tire traction also didn't feel realistic.

For consoles, I thought PGR3 did a better job because you could rely less on the brake (downshift instead).

GT4 really wasn't that realistic, the creators even admitted that the times for how fast acceleration, braking, etc. were adjusted to be close to magazine times. Shifting and the tire traction also didn't feel realistic.

For consoles, I thought PGR3 did a better job because you could rely less on the brake (downshift instead).

Haha. You sir, are disqualified!

Back