The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

Now people are complaining about games being too long... :LOL:

Yes! OMG! Other people think different to you, quick call the village elders! You may also want to lock yourself in and barricade the door because there's a lot of us out here. More than 7 billion in fact.

duty_calls.png

Most people don't finish games. Just browse achievement/trophy completion stats in the various services. Many don't even finish short games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowow hold your Roches, no need to be offended. If people like shorter games that is fine by me, just was surprised to read some people calling the game too long because over the past couple of years a lot of people have been complaining about games being too short.

I know most people don't finish their games. Actually this has been on my mind for a couple of weeks now and I thought about starting a thread about it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

So yes a lot of people don't finish games, now even quite short games. Discussion the various reasons would be interesting.

For me it depends on the type of games. Shooters I'm fine with a shorter game, platformers like badman or darksiders are good at 45 ~ 60 hours at my pace (I play quite slow and explore a lot). Games like Witcher around 60 hours would be good for me.

That said you don't have to finished a 100+ hour game in one go. You can just stop for a while and get back to it later after playing something else. Granted that doesn't always work but at least for me I'm quite picky as to which and how many games I buy because I don't have that much time to play so usually I end up finishing most of the games I buy.

I wasn't that offended hence the XKCD. I do like long games and have, like you, sunk a gazillion hours in games like Elite, Oblivion, Fallout 3 / New Vegas and Skyrim.

I think it's just the narrative of the main quest is just a little too long for me and a little too convoluted with otherwise simple tasks being drawn out by many levels of nested diversions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I like everything about this game, expect actually playing it. Like the music, characters, world, etc. I just can't get into to it. It disappoints me, because I really wanted to enjoy it. Same thing happened with Skyrim. Maybe I just don't like big open worlds.

I played newest DLC quest yesterday. It's in Skellige and I was impressed! Quite a fun quest and at the same time it reaches to your early game decisions which makes it even better!

The complexities in this game are amazing and I'm not bored with it after putting 103h+, but my secret is pacing myself! I can only afford to play 2-4h a day with exception to weekends and I'm not pushing through quests just to finish them off. I sometimes start 3-5 quest because they are close to each other and to finish them I would have to go way out of my way, which I don't do. If you do that then quests progress more naturally and you're not chasing them like mad.
This is what I do, putting 1-2 hours in a day keeps in fresh. With the occasional all day binge on weekends of course.

Do other people have this artifacting going on in Witcher 3?
It is very annoying. I have a GTX 980 and the latest drivers I think. Only the trees and leaves seem to be affected so far, hmm or maybe some shadows too...

1.jpg 3.jpg

edit: Hmm... The issue wasn't nearly as bad today when I played this. Only saw it few times.

Last edited:
That is a weird artifact! Fortunately I didn't experience any ... which drivers are you using and are you using the latest Witcher 3 patch?

Edit: What are your graphics quality settings? because your colors looked kinda "washed out". Geralt looks really bad ....

That is a weird artifact! Fortunately I didn't experience any ... which drivers are you using and are you using the latest Witcher 3 patch?

Edit: What are your graphics quality settings? because your colors looked kinda "washed out". Geralt looks really bad ....

Yeah latest everything. I am running mostly ultra, shadows and foliage distance (or something like that) is on high. I've disabled some post process stuff, like blur and motion blur though.

It wasn't as bad today though, had to really look for it, yesterday when I played it was all over the place...
The game doesn't normally look that bad. It's a cell phone picture, very close to my TV and downgraded in quality couple times though... However I'm not exactly blown away by the graphics. My TV is 75" and computer graphics just doesn't look as good on this size anymore. Might have to try my 2560x1440 monitor on this... Probably going to kill my frames though...

Wow the game looks a lot better on the 27" 2560x1440 monitor. I had to cap it to 30fps, but everything is now on ultra and hairworks is on too. Looks like another game...

Last edited:
My wife just picked this up and has just started playing. Its quite the perfromance hog, moreso than most other games I've run recently. Thats said we're getting a nice solid 30fps (locked) at a mix of high and ultra settings with hair works and motion blur (which looks horrible) off on my 670.

and here im stuck in 900p because my 520Watt PSU died and its stll on warranty process (dang it, its alreay a month).
now using 10 or 15 years old 500W PSU. and im too afraid to run my HD7770 on 20%+ TDP. But i need that overclock to get 1080p 30fps.

btw i wonder why most people use too much sharpen in their reshade / sweefx?

Do other people have this artifacting going on in Witcher 3?
It is very annoying. I have a GTX 980 and the latest drivers I think. Only the trees and leaves seem to be affected so far, hmm or maybe some shadows too...

edit: Hmm... The issue wasn't nearly as bad today when I played this. Only saw it few times.

Hi Dr Evil,

I think your issue is not an issue but rather game engine way of doing stuff.

N3KOk6Z.jpg

Sorry for LQ but I had to resize it from 1440p to save some bandwidth for fellow members!

This pattern appears briefly when object appears on screen, in case of picture above I've placed camera at extreme angle so than Geralt disappeared and then slowly reversed till he reappeared. This pattern is only visible during that transition stage for about 0.5s to 1s, but I've seen it on plants in certain locations and certain times of day where you could make it stay for longer. It only would appear at extremely close distances from camera clipping point.

This same pattern was present in TW2 - mostly on shadows :)

Last edited:
Yes that's what happens when stuff gets too close to the camera, so you can see what you're doing instead of staring at the individual chloroplasts of the leaves while you're being eaten by a werewolf.

Witcher 2 had the same right? the weird dotted shadows (cant think of a better word). Though in Witcher 3 its less noticable than 2 which basically had it all the time.

Witcher 2 had the same right? the weird dotted shadows (cant think of a better word). Though in Witcher 3 its less noticable than 2 which basically had it all the time.

Exactly that!

TBH I only noticed this in TW3 when I was playing with camera trying to magnify leafs walls and other stuff. I was checking how many texture layers they were using and how good procedural shaders were. Otherwise this dotted pattern has never been an issue when playing as one normally should!

I've added the cutscene lighting mod to sweetFX (actually its a sweetfx variation called something like '1.000x better than sweet fx') and i'm now running the game in a letterboxed 21:9 aspect ratio - it looks absolutely stunning! Practically a different game (graphically) to the stock version.

Back