The way it's meant to be patched...

CorwinB

Regular
Check the front page of Gamers Depot...

It seems that after Nvidia pulled some strings, Eidos removed the Tomb Raider A0D v49 patch, which contains the benchmarking code used by B3D.

I am totally speechless on this one. In addition to the benchmarking mode that reveals the GFFX's less than stellar DX9 performance, the patch also brought a large number of fixes customers who *paid* for the game were expecting... In other words, in addition to forcing developers to do additional work to hide the deficiencies of their under-performing hardware, the goons at Nvidia now go some extra length to be sure that if their "100 millions" customers can't enjoy the new games because of crappy hardware, then nobody will.

speechless-smiley-018.gif

Sad...and people wonder why I stated:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7918&start=20

Now we have the market flooded with inferior graphic processors all based off...money. Games optimized for FX and FP 16 formats.

Can't someone just use FRAPS and show those brilliant people at Eidos that the benchmark results actually ARE a good indicator of the game's performance?

Sigh. I can honestly say now that I will not purchase an Nvidia product for a very VERY long time. That GF2 GTS was the last one that will go in my computer.

Unbelievable........

Paul Baldwin of Eidos said:
"It has come to the attention of Eidos that an unreleased patch for Tomb Raider: AOD has unfortunately been used as the basis for videocard benchmarking. While Eidos and Core appreciate the need for modern benchmarking software that utilizes the advanced shading capabilities of modern graphics hardware, Tomb Raider: AOD Patch 49 was never intended for public release and is not a basis for valid benchmarking comparisons. Core and Eidos believe that Tomb Raider: AOD performs exceptionally well on NVIDIA hardware."

If the last statement is true and is what Eidos believes, why would they pull the patch?

According to this link:

http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/support/patchinfo.html?ptid=67

...the v49 patch is still available for download. (Yep, just tried the link and could have downloaded it.)

So maybe this is just a statement of what Eidos "believes" rather than a pull of the patch.

Edit: or is this v49 sans the benchmarking capabilities? (I don't have the game.)

So maybe this is just a statement of what Eidos "believes" rather than a pull of the patch.

I'm getting the download information page, but I get an error when trying to download the file.

If I was a programmer at Core Design, I would be mightily pissed off right now : those guys, just like Valve, went the extra way to optimize for the GFFX line (using CG, using PP hints in most shaders), and they can't even patch their game like they wish.

No, 49 is the patch that we worked on for the benchmarking. If you click the download link its no longer there.

This is stupid since the patch actually increased performance for all boards and solved a number of bug fixes - the benchmarking mode is still available in the previous version, so if people use that then the performances will be even worse!

I hope the mirrors for this patch don't take it down. And I certainly hope B3D continues to use the v49 patch for testing purposes, even if it's only in beta articles.

[EDIT]

Dave Baumann said:
This is stupid since the patch actually increased performance for all boards and solved a number of bug fixes - the benchmarking mode is still available in the previous version, so if people use that then the performances will be even worse!

WTF??? Ok this really doesn't make any sense now. I could understand if there were no benchmarking mode in the previous version, but this is ridiculous.

Now I'm confused........

DaveBaumann said:
No, 49 is the patch that we worked on for the benchmarking. If you click the download link its no longer there.

I had to click refresh page about 3-4 times after clicking on Eidos's link for the file--but did get eventually get a download requester for saving the file. I'll go ahead and see if I can download it from there...

Edit: Yes, I am now downloading it--had to click the refresh button exactly 4 times after clicking their link, though...strange...

Tomb Raider: AOD Patch 49 was never intended for public release and is not a basis for valid benchmarking comparisons.
Why does the phrase "valid benchmarking" jump out at me? Seems I've heard that before...
Maybe a few det versions from now, "valid benchmarking" will become possible. :rolleyes:

ZoinKs! said:
Tomb Raider: AOD Patch 49 was never intended for public release and is not a basis for valid benchmarking comparisons.

Why does the phrase "valid benchmarking" jump out at me? Seems I've heard that before...
Maybe a few det versions from now, "valid benchmarking" will become possible. :rolleyes:

Maybe EIDOS implemented anti-cheat code in the v49 patch? ;)

Seriously though, Dave, do you think you could whip up a quick comparison in the beta section with the old version of the game to see how performance is decreased from v49? I'm pretty interested to see what the results bear out.

CorwinB said:

I'm getting the download information page, but I get an error when trying to download the file.

If I was a programmer at Core Design, I would be mightily pissed off right now : those guys, just like Valve, went the extra way to optimize for the GFFX line (using CG, using PP hints in most shaders), and they can't even patch their game like they wish.

Well, even though I am 75% through downloading from that link, this statement by Eidos is bizarre. Generally, all patches from developers are screened and tested by the publisher before being placed on the publisher's site for download. If I had to guess, somebody higher up in the company came in and ruined the show after some others at Eidos had signed on to and approved the patch for distribution. What is Eidos trying to do--to crap all over its brand new release??? Doubtless Baldwin thinks he's done something intelligent here--I think not.

File completed the download--it's the v49 All Language version weighing in at 8.55mbs.

Well, this is just sad. Thanks for the e-mail, Wavey. We downloaded the patch and got a screenshot, too, so, eh.

I really don't get it. What was that last sentence in the statement supposed to do, other than make NV look even worse than they already do after the last weeks of benchmarking bonanza?

I wonder what the official statement will be for the pulling of the patch. Oh, wait, they already did: "Tomb Raider: AOD Patch 49 was never intended for public release and is not a basis for valid benchmarking comparisons. Core and Eidos believe that Tomb Raider: AOD performs exceptionally well on NVIDIA hardware."

*dons paranoia helmet and goes to sleep*

-Sascha.rb

This is thoroughly confusing--if they have pulled the patch, why is the link I reference above still there, and why did it work for me? (Albeit I had to hit the refresh button 4 times to get the download requestor to pop up--but I did that twice.) Busy server? I'd warrant a lot of folks are trying to access that file right now...

Does anyone have a link to the Baldwin statement on the Eidos site, by any chance?

Core and Eidos believe that Tomb Raider: AOD performs exceptionally well on NVIDIA hardware.

Well, I think the only thing left for them is to believe (I can imagine that if NV hardware actually performed well, they wouldn't have pulled the patch).

And to believe something like that, they must have smoked something mightily hallucinogenic...

Back