Far Cry being patched to include 3.0 shader support?

Hanners

Regular
I've just been looking through the list of fixes for the upcoming Far Cry patch (You can see the full thing here at EB), and noticed this rather juicy mention:

Added support for PS3.0 shader profile

Is this really going to be an addition of 3.0 shader support to the title? Is it really going to be that simple?

On another note, this part was also interesting:

Improved shader speed (up to two times faster) for NVidia Geforce FX cards on very high settings

Any comments?

WILL PS3.0 BE EIGHT TIMES FASTER ON NV4X CARDS TO FORCE DEVELOPERS INTO SUPPORTING PS3.0?!

Okay, that was my totally absurd conspiracy theory of the day. I'm still happy from sitting in school, having other people do my work for me, while playing Final Fantasy 6, talking to my people on MSN, and posting on the B3D Train. It's fun, eh? I am a true BOFH.

Actually the more I think about this the better it is, at least we know we'll have one game out there to test out PS 3.0 stuff on. :) (Baron, I think you're much more the PFY.... ;) :p )

Hanners said:
I've just been looking through the list of fixes for the upcoming Far Cry patch (You can see the full thing here at EB), and noticed this rather juicy mention:

Added support for PS3.0 shader profile

Is this really going to be an addition of 3.0 shader support to the title? Is it really going to be that simple?

On another note, this part was also interesting:

Improved shader speed (up to two times faster) for NVidia Geforce FX cards on very high settings

Any comments?

Because they using HLSL it's not hard to add another compile target , ps3.0 in this case. Maybe they will add the 2.b target later also although it's probably not really needed.

tEd said:
Because they using HLSL it's not hard to add another compile target , ps3.0 in this case. Maybe they will add the 2.b target later also although it's probably not really needed.

I thought that HLSL didn't support SM 3.0 yet :?:

StealthHawk said:
tEd said:

I thought that HLSL didn't support SM 3.0 yet :?:

Well if you look at some of the presentations at GDC you'll see that HLSL now supports vs3.0,vs2.a,vs2.0 / ps3.0,2.a,2.b,2.0 and developers probably already had access to it for some time

I would invisage that NV will put alot of effect into making sure games that could, will have PS3.0 support even if they have to pay or add it themselves as it will create a very effective marketing campaign.

They don't use Microsoft's HLSL 3_0 profile, because it's in beta 2 at the moment, they use the 3_0 Cg profile...

Hopefully I'll get the game soon, so I can investigate some shader code, and see if they just compile 2_0/2_x to 3_0 or if they are doing some more usefull stuff.

Thomas

tb said:
They don't use Microsoft's HLSL 3_0 profile, because it's in beta 2 at the moment, they use the 3_0 Cg profile...

Hopefully I'll get the game soon, so I can investigate some shader code, and see if they just compile 2_0/2_x to 3_0 or if they are doing some more usefull stuff.

Thomas

yes do that.

Talked with someone which seemed in the know about this yesterday:
A little bit of playing with NVPerfHUD can do wonders, you know
So these optimizations nearly certainly are very legit indeed. I got no clue how much use they're doing of the SM3.0. though.

Uttar

Back