S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - The Way it's Meant to be Played!

Evildeus said:
There's just a flaw in your figures. 9200 are not DX9, and that's where Ati makes the majority of the sales. So it's not 2/3 but much likely 1/3 or more so....

I thought from the last market figures from ATI it was broken down like this:

40% lowend
40% mainstream
20% highend

Could be wrong but I was sure that the lower end was at the same volume as the mid (unlike nV whos low end has higher volumes then the mid).

Also Dave has mentioned a few times where ATI was trying to price a version of the rv350 at $100 which should be close enough to the fx5200

2B-Maverick said:
yeah, but you cant count the 5200 as DX9 either.
DX9 paper spec, sure. But not DX9 performance.
Even Software emulation is faster :)

Um, no. Software emulation at the DX9 level will generally take anywhere from minutes to hours to draw a single frame.

The 5200 has low fillrate, yes, but that just means running at lower resolutions. At low-enough resolution (say, 800x600 or 640x480, depending), probably without FSAA/anisotropic, you should be able to turn all game details up for any game coming out in the near future (except, perhaps, texture detail...too much texture memory usage will also choke the card...but all PS effects should be available in full force).

I doubt you would be able to turn on all detail either.

It's a valid point.. the DX9 performance just isn't there on the GFFX 5200. Who cares though.. people buying these are the same ones that would buy the GF4MX.

Tahir said:
... DX9 performance just isn't there on the GFFX 5200. Who cares though.. people buying these are the same ones that would buy the GF4MX.

Exactly, it is just a marketable feature which don't essentially worked that well.
for instances, if someone only need to or only can afford to or only have the desired to get an used Japanese car to commute, you don't go and tell him that BMW M3 or Benz AMG will smoke it any day of the week, and so he should get the M3 or AMG in order to enjoy owning people.
Not every one play the game in competitive level, someone just need it for an hour of game play in a week or month. Then 5200 is perfect for them to do everyday work.

Chalnoth said:
2B-Maverick said:
yeah, but you cant count the 5200 as DX9 either.
DX9 paper spec, sure. But not DX9 performance.
Even Software emulation is faster :)

Um, no. Software emulation at the DX9 level will generally take anywhere from minutes to hours to draw a single frame.

Not quite woken up Chalnoth? Didn't see my ":D" ?
Maybe should have use a ";)" ?

Nevermind 8)

I'm trying to figure out what the NV 35 version of this game might have thats special. Did Nvidia upgrade their shadow buffers with the NV 30 or are they going to with the NV 35? What else might the NV 30 or NV 35 hardware have that they could take specific advantage of?

Back