The Terminator Lives

Operators work the robot using a 30-pound control unit which has two joysticks, a handful of buttons and a video screen. Quinn says that may eventually be replaced by a "Gameboy" type of controller hooked up to virtual reality goggles.

welcome to the game!!!! ;)

an interesting question, is if you continue to depersonalize war, does that lead to more/less wars/casualties?

epic

Can't hurt to have them I suppose, but they are only as good as the purpose to which they are put. Some rather serious drawbacks, $200,000, 4mph, 4 hour battery life, no doubt as stealthy as a jack hammer. Useless without troop backup but probably good for securing a position. Be curious if they are tamper proof, at the very least the radio signals to control them could be jammed.

epicstruggle said:
an interesting question, is if you continue to depersonalize war, does that lead to more/less wars/casualties?

epic

That's a very good question...

...for example, you no longer have soldiers who's butts are on the line and sometimes need to shoot first ask questions later. With out putting one of your own soldiers at risk, you can give a potential enemy the benefit of the doubt and let them prove that they are infact an enemy.

Now on the other hand, politicians who might be hesitant to put one of their soldiers out there and potentially die, no longer has that problem to deal with. And they may be more likely to go to war as more than just a last resort.

So like I said, very good question...

My over all prediction would be more/same amount of war, but far fewer casualties.

Killer-Kris said:
My over all prediction would be more/same amount of war, but far fewer casualties.
Fewer casualties for the side with the technological advantage, yes. [Edit: and hopefully less "collateral damage".] But that's just a continuation of the current trends. Re. whether war will be more or less common, that's a very good question.

I also find myself wondering what it'll be like for the other side. Will fighting against a robot have a different physcological effect then fighting against humans?

ZoinKs! said:
Killer-Kris said:

Fewer casualties for the side with the technological advantage, yes. [Edit: and hopefully less "collateral damage".]

Your absolutely right, the side with the tech advantage will have nil casualties, but I was also meaning for the other side as well. There will be fewer civilian casualties (if it's used correctly) due to being able to positively identify someone as a combatant or not. And hopefully a bot will be able to take the time and more precisely target its weapons. That could mean anything from taking non-lethal shots, to merely destroying the weapon the combatant is either in or is holding.

That is definitely the aspect of most modern weapon systems that excites me the most. We no longer have to level the building the enemy is in, or kill everyone in the tank/truck, or if can disable the gun in the individuals hand. It certainly might bring a small amount of civilty back to war that has been missing for a few hundred years if you no longer need to kill your enemies to win.

I also find myself wondering what it'll be like for the other side. Will fighting against a robot have a different physcological effect then fighting against humans?

I imagine it might be a lot like how the troops felt when first confronted with tanks or airplanes in WWI. It's a big mechanical contraption that appears invulnerable at first glance, but with time weaknesses will be found and new strategies developed.

Back