The Rydermark Thread (TM)

trinibwoy said:
Wow, you guys leave no stone unturned huh. :smile: But that raises another question - if the Sahara engine exists why not perpetrate this fraud based on an actual screenshot. What's up with the composited image?

I'm way too not technical enough on the art assets side to feel confident answering that question. Because various folks have proven conclusively (which they have, it seems to me) the original source of various bits of the screen shot provided, does that necessarily prove they weren't rendered by a game engine? Even if other photochop work was (or wasn't --I'm no photochop guy either; I'm snarfing popcorn with everyone else on that aspect) done after capture?

digitalwanderer said:
You know of any game engine that can produce this result?

http://www.modtheater.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9831&d=1153325271

(Sorry, you may have to cut-n-paste the link to get the pict....it's in a forum post)

That guy at the end with the water cleaving his torso sure as hell looks chopped to me. :???:

Zaphod - a page back said:
Definately. Full resolution stock photo here.

Edit: I like the guy getting eaten by the water to the right.

http://www.modtheater.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9831&d=1153325271

:p

And for a brief moment of comedic relief, and e-mail Radar(Gstanford) sent me:

Hi DW,

Haven't changed much have you? DOn't worry, I don't expect leopards to change their spots... you haven't disappointed me...

About the rydermark "screenshots", you do realise that the image with all the enhancements present is the "ATi" image and not the "nvidia" image, don't you?

You do realise that FP32 > FP24 don't you, and that if precision errors were to occur the calculations would tend to be rounded closer and closer to a value of 1.0 (or 0.0). A value of 1.0 shows up as white in an image, Tell me, what is the main difference between the ATi & nvidia images?

Don't forget also that this candella developer lists ATi on their site and not nvidia. You can rest assured I'll use that against them and ATi at the appropriate time (yes I do believe the "developer" is nothing more than an (incompetent) ATi puppet.

Oh, and tell Geo I enjoyed his little charecterization so much, it's now part of my anandtech signature.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

geo said:
I'm way too not technical enough on the art assets side to feel confident answering that question. Because various folks have proven conclusively (which they have, it seems to me) the original source of various bits of the screen shot provided, does that necessarily prove they weren't rendered by a game engine? Even if other photochop work was (or wasn't --I'm no photochop guy either; I'm snarfing popcorn with everyone else on that aspect) done after capture?

Heh, funny thing is Fuad in his defense article says shaders can be made to look like filters, this is true but how many different shaders would have been written to create that picture, so far I counted 5, poster board, smart blur or smart sharpen, gaussian blur, and of course a specail render to texture with a pre lasso select and texture edge alaising. Thats one hell of a game engine!:LOL:

Razor1 said:
Heh, funny thing is Fuad in his defense article says shaders can be made to look like filters, this is true but how many different shaders would have been written to create that picture, so far I counted 5, poster board, smart blur or smart sharpen, gaussian blur, and of course a specail render to texture with a pre lasso select and texture edge alaising. Thats one hell of a game engine!:LOL:

Well, what I was responding to with Trini is the accusation some people are making is that not even the "ATI image" was rendered with a game engine. That somebody just cobbled it together with artwork and photoshop. I don't know that's wrong, but I haven't necessarily seen anything to make me think it must be true either. The background elements that people have been finding the source for, including the guy cut in half, could be base textures, couldn't they?

Which is in no way an argument against the idea that a screenshot was then saved and manipulated in photoshop to create the "NV image", btw. After all, Damien Has Spoken. :smile:

Of course, if the "ATI image" was a screenshot from a game engine, there is no guarantee it was from an actual ATI card! Much like the (uh oh, he's going to say it! Look ouuuuuuttt!) Sassen fiasco last year, one of the major, major problems here is an utter lack of ability provided to the community to independantly check the results, and a shielding of the ultimate source from questioning & responding to requests about settings, methodology, techniques etc.

geo said:
The background elements that people have been finding the source for, including the guy cut in half, could be base textures, couldn't they?
Of course. But to find to disparate elements of the screenshots from at least 2 different source images, in exactly the same orientation as they appear in those sources, not rotated in any way from the viewer, is what makes it highly suspect in my eyes. The chances of that happening seem fairly miniscule.

Entirely unconvinced it was rendered, at this point.

geo said:
The background elements that people have been finding the source for, including the guy cut in half, could be base textures, couldn't they?
I don't see how that could be possible. Take the clocktower, for example. It's not even resized, just cut out directly and pasted into the image. I don't see how you could use a texture like that if it was, in fact, rendered. Here's a direct cutout pasted into the L'Inq 'screenshot' at the original resolution:

fake_2.jpg

Admittedly, my knowledge of 3D engines is limited, but unless someone want to state that this is perfectly possible, the most likely explanation to me is that the whole image is nothing but a Photoshop collage.

Rys said:
Of course. But to find to disparate elements of the screenshots from at least 2 different source images, in exactly the same orientation as they appear in those sources, not rotated in any way from the viewer, is what makes it highly suspect in my eyes. The chances of that happening seem fairly miniscule.

Ahhhh. Point, Mr. Ryszard.

The only question left in my mind is, who's trying to throw Fudo under a bus? There's obviously been some pretty irresponsible behavior on his part, but the fact that he's defending it to me implies that somebody he trusts is feeding this to him.

Zaphod said:
I don't see how that could be possible. Take the clocktower, for example. It's not even resized, just cut out directly and pasted into the image. I don't see how you could use a texture like that if it was, in fact, rendered.
Not only that, but if you look closely you can see the darker blue sky background along the edges of the image that was pasted into the Inq pic. This basically always happens when cutting and pasting images from photos: the background seeps in because the pixels are already anti-aliased, and there's no way to disconnect the foreground from the background in pixels which share color values from both.

The Baron said:
The only question left in my mind is, who's trying to throw Fudo under a bus? There's obviously been some pretty irresponsible behavior on his part, but the fact that he's defending it to me implies that somebody he trusts is feeding this to him.
Which would be a bit sad.

But still, there is another possibility: no publicity is bad publicity, and this has generated tons of publicity. And probably page hits.

I'd rather think he's an idiot, though.

Chalnoth said:
Which would be a bit sad.

But still, there is another possibility: no publicity is bad publicity, and this has generated tons of publicity. And probably page hits.
It's generated tons of publicity just like Sassen did, and it will probably be the end of Fudo unless something happens. I don't really see Fudo sacrificing his career for this unless there's somebody he really trusts telling him all of this.

I don't know Fudo, and I don't think he's the most knowledgeable guy in the world when it comes to 3D hardware, but this is getting pathetic.

Back