The Rydermark Thread (TM)

Well, perhaps it's just my disdain for what the Inquirer (and Fudo in particular) does that allows me to think that is a possibility. The Inquirer had crossed the line into unbelievability long ago for me.

geo said:
Which is in no way an argument against the idea that a screenshot was then saved and manipulated in photoshop to create the "NV image", btw. After all, Damien Has Spoken. :smile:

To me it looks like a sharpen filter was applied to the NV image. The ATi image is the one with the funky discrepancies. But honestly, whether Fuad has been misled or was complicit in all this - either way he's exceedingly incompetent and shouldn't be writing tech news. But to be fair have we ever really seen Fuad question his sources before?

Zaphod said:
Admittedly, my knowledge of 3D engines is limited, but unless someone want to state that this is perfectly possible, the most likely explanation to me is that the whole image is nothing but a Photoshop collage.
Of course it is, and a bad one too

The Baron said:
The only question left in my mind is, who's trying to throw Fudo under a bus? There's obviously been some pretty irresponsible behavior on his part, but the fact that he's defending it to me implies that somebody he trusts is feeding this to him.

Where are the Candella people to distance themselves from this fiasco?

Rydermark maker labels hoax allegations 'irresponsible'

is the Inq headline. Somebody should poke them and get a non-Fudo filtered explanation of their understanding of what's going on here, and their role --if any-- in the creation of Inq's "screenshots".

The Baron said:
The only question left in my mind is, who's trying to throw Fudo under a bus? There's obviously been some pretty irresponsible behavior on his part, but the fact that he's defending it to me implies that somebody he trusts is feeding this to him.
He's defending them cause he's defending himself, he might not know a thing about GPUs but I don't think he's so stupid to not recognize his mistake at this point in time.
Unfortunately for him there's no defense, it does not matter whether someone has tried to fool him cause in the end he did not check his facts.
If you don't check your data you can't call yourself a journalist, can you?

nAo said:
He's defending them cause he's defending himself, he might not know a thing about GPUs but I don't think he's so stupid to not recognize his mistake at this point in time.
Unfortunately for him there's no defense, it does not matter whether someone has tried to fool him cause in the end he did not check his facts.
If you don't check your data you can't call yourself a journalist, can you?
"I had a source. I trusted the source. Turns out the source is completely full of shit. Sorry about that."

Yeah, it looks crappy, but not nearly as bad as this kind of self-destruction.

The Baron said:
"I had a source. I trusted the source. Turns out the source is completely full of shit. Sorry about that."

Yeah, it looks crappy, but not nearly as bad as this kind of self-destruction.
A journalist can't simply say "I trusted my source", cause no matter how much you trust your sources, you have to check your facts before you publish something.
It took me 5 seconds to notice digital brush strokes in that image, c'mon..even a child would have noticed that.
He's to blatantly incompetent in this field that really it does not make any sense to have him writing stories about GPUs, it's getting ridicolus..

A "normal" journalist writing for a newspaper is expected to check his facts before publishing. But even they often don't.

Most people I know don't take internet journalists as seriously as newspaper journalists.
Certainly not journalists from the Inquirer!

I agree with Baron. He should admit he's been had.
And a lot of people (the one's who still take the Inquirer seriously) won't even think it looks all that crappy.

But then he should go all the way and come down hard on his source!

BTW I have seen some people wondering who would gain from all this, but nobody has noticed the most likely candidate: Nvidia ;)

mjtdevries said:
A "normal" journalist writing for a newspaper is expected to check his facts before publishing. But even they often don't.
That's why they get fired quite often..
BTW I have seen some people wondering who would gain from all this, but nobody has noticed the most likely candidate: Nvidia ;)
Read carefully my previous messages in this very thread :)

What makes anyone think Fuad would be fired for this type of thing? I've never seen any reprimands for incompetence in reporting previously.

It isn't as if The Inq has a track record of being a reliable news source with quality journalists -- none of them can write worth a damn and nobody seems to bother checking facts (that is actually a rather huge problem with internet journalism in general though, to be fair). The Inq is a bunch of misfits that somehow got big, as comically tragic as that is...

What basis would he even be fired on? I imagine the management of the site would have to actually care about the quality of reporting in the first place for any action to be taken against him...

Bobbler said:
What basis would he even be fired on? I imagine the management of the site would have to actually care about the quality of reporting in the first place for any action to be taken against him...
If NV says to Inq management that Fudo committed libel and neither we nor any of our partners are going to deal with your publication while he's there, I imagine he would be fired. Sassen seems to be totally blacklisted now, so I don't think this is unprecedented.

The Baron said:
If NV says to Inq management that Fudo committed libel and neither we nor any of our partners are going to deal with your publication while he's there, I imagine he would be fired. Sassen seems to be totally blacklisted now, so I don't think this is unprecedented.

Inq was already blacklisted by Nvidia, so this might be Faud's way of trying to provoke a reaction out of them.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Inq was already blacklisted by Nvidia, so this might be Faud's way of trying to provoke a reaction out of them.
Was not aware of that. When did that happen? 7300GS time or thereabouts?

@(...:.:...)@ said:
Sorry, but that is not the right photo. :-|
On closer inspection, you're probably right. It seemed like a better fit at first glance, and perhaps too fitting, I guess, for both Venice sources to be from the same holiday-snapshot-series.

Thanks for the correction. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baron said:
Was not aware of that. When did that happen? 7300GS time or thereabouts?

I can't remember, but Faud has been complaining for ages that Nvidia won't talk to the Inq. Something to do with some NDA slides that were leaked at a conference that Inq immediately published.

This has to be the most hysterical form of "evidence" I've seen anyone try to pander for a given accusation. I'm still wiping soda from my monitor screen from a nose projectile...

I'm adjusting my "drinking while surfing" habit in preparation for the forthcoming videos that have been promised. I hope they wont dissappoint... but these "screenshots" are going to be a hard act to follow!

I think we're all chuckling b/c it seems the shark jumped him. If Fuad did any jumping, it was off that photochopped pier into that photomangled water. Still, his 3D ineptitude is more endearing than infuriating once used to him. Well, except to crotchety Chal. ;)

Sharkfood (how incredibly appropriate), :LOL:!

Back