The NVIDIA DX10 AGP Thread

7600 GS, its AGP card, will get a new follower, cleverly codenamed G84 AGP.
This card will be a Direct X 10 chip aimed at AGP upgrade market, as you have not been able to buy new AGP systems for a while now.
It is an interesting choice as but shows the value of this legacy market. The card is scheduled for April and this means that AGP upgrade market will get a DirectX 10 after all.
Read More: TheInq

--------------------

All i can say is yipee!
I still feel my AMD XP3200 Barton is still doing ok, but feel my X800Pro/XT needs to be replaced.
Thx Nvidia

MOD EDIT: Other sites are now reporting G8x does NOT support AGP. We'll see what happens.

NO! Let AGP die already...

Should it be released, what are the odds of the G8x AGP card being a single slot cooler?

Why would it not outperform an X800?
Bandwidth. Midrange-solutions typically have 128bit Bus. Might be situations where a X800 comes out on top.

Im looking forward to a 8600 GS/GT too, hopefully there will be passive solutions as well. Still have that 9700 Pro doing its duty, but a few games last year really do make it sweat.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good (tm), don't want to upgrade my PIV yet, just need a dx10 card, no matter how fast/slow to experiment with a few ideas I have, I'll buy it asap..

I don't think there are any AGP motherboards produced any more, so it's just a matter of time before you can only find it in musea.

actully there are sevral still made, all are micro ATX based on the KM800 for AMD not sure about intel though

I have a Tualatin on a BX with a R8500.....oh wait no universal AGP?! wtf.....lol

I can see myself getting some variant of it despites having such an outdated PC (XP2400+).
I prefer nvidia, and geforce 8 is the first one with both great AA and AF.
geforce 3/4/FX : bad AA, good filtering. (no problem with AA 2x but the higher modes suck)
geforce 6/7 : good AA, bad filtering
geforce 8 : best AA and filtering ever.
I don't mind if I'm playing far cry, a quake 3 or a doom 3 powered game but I love AA and AF.

Thanks..but I'm not going to change mobo, I'll probably buy a new comp toward the end of the year

just a thought they are only 34quid
when my 6800gt agp card died i thought i didnt really want to spend money on another agp card just to have to replace it when i finally upgrade to a core 2

More options = gooder, this is great news. :)

Game developer point of view:
More options = more possible configurations that need to be consider.

Sorry if this sounds not very customer friendly but since I am responsible for the performance of our game every new variable cause some more headaches.

Game developer point of view:
More options = more possible configurations that need to be consider.

Sorry if this sounds not very customer friendly but since I am responsible for the performance of our game every new variable cause some more headaches.

How does an AGP DX10 card figure into supportability issues for you? I'm serious, I don't know. It seems to me that a video card is a video card, regardless if it's on AGP or PCI-E. Can you provide me an example where supporting a 7600 is "different" on AGP than PCI-E?

How does an AGP DX10 card figure into supportability issues for you? I'm serious, I don't know. It seems to me that a video card is a video card, regardless if it's on AGP or PCI-E. Can you provide me an example where supporting a 7600 is "different" on AGP than PCI-E?
Less bandwidth between GPU and system memory?

Less bandwidth between GPU and system memory?

By what percentage though, really? We're talking about a midrange solution; and GPU bench doesn't show much difference between PCI-E readback and AGP readback speeds (around 500mb/sec for both).

If bandwidth to system memory is such a valid concern, you'd still have to eat the same number of antacids over the 8x PCI-E lanes to SLI or Crossfire video cards when you need to send that data 2x over AGP-like bandwidth anyway.

Others?

Edit: That link is about H264 motion compensation, but dig further and they start talking about performance impact from various sources, to include AGP and PCI-E bandwidth issues. In the end, they found that they effectively had generally the same useable bandwidth...

This is the replacement for 7600, not 7800. It's marginally possible, I suppose.

Perhaps it's more compelling as an SM4 versus SM2b GPU, than for performance per se.

Jawed

Wasn't the 7600GT just as fast as the 6800GS for the most part? I would expect another generation yet again and the new card would be faster still a bit, so yeah I would say the card is almost certainly going to be faster than a X800. Plus you can play some of the games that required a SM3.0 part.

Back