The NVIDIA DX10 AGP Thread

How does an AGP DX10 card figure into supportability issues for you? I'm serious, I don't know. It seems to me that a video card is a video card, regardless if it's on AGP or PCI-E. Can you provide me an example where supporting a 7600 is "different" on AGP than PCI-E?

In the case of the 7600 there would be no differences as we currently expect only AGP bandwidth for this GPU class. But as part of our research we may find some use of PCIe on the D3D10 class. If nvida now will offer a D3D10 hardware on AGP I have to check every idea from someone in the team if it will work with AGP too. Even if the attached feature would be optimal we need to detected such D3D10 AGP cards and disable such a feature on default. I need to stay on this high level sight at the moment as the game is still unannounced.

In the case of the 7600 there would be no differences as we currently expect only AGP bandwidth for this GPU class. But as part of our research we may find some use of PCIe on the D3D10 class. If nvida now will offer a D3D10 hardware on AGP I have to check every idea from someone in the team if it will work with AGP too. Even if the attached feature would be optimal we need to detected such D3D10 AGP cards and disable such a feature on default. I need to stay on this high level sight at the moment as the game is still unannounced.
Are you guys going to use system memory in some fancy way? :)

I realize you don't want to give away specifics, but what kind of feature is really different between AGP and PCI-E? Really? You can't count on PCI-E bandwidth being higher than AGP, because there are people out there with 8x PCI-E systems; hell there are motherboards out there with 4x PCI-E systems. But I'm sure you already know about that...

So again, since PCI-E has such a wide range of speed options that you can't control, and AGP 3.0 (likely the only AGP spec that will be supported by these cards, as with the 7x00 series) bandwidth is smack-dab in the middle of the available PCI-E bandwidth options, what are you really having to work against?

I'm still missing the killer point that makes AGP + DX10 somehow inconsistent in any way with PCI-E + DX10.

That's good (tm), don't want to upgrade my PIV yet, just need a dx10 card, no matter how fast/slow to experiment with a few ideas I have, I'll buy it asap..

Ditto... Although AMD64/AGP in my case... As it is I'm running a 7800GS (only cost me $150) as the 6800GT in it died.

Last edited by a moderator:
PCIe is full-duplex.

ok, and? seriously... what scenario does a developer readily face where a midrange part will depend on full-speed simultaneous upload and download speed to system memory, when in a best case scenario you're still talking about several orders of magnitude speed difference from the bandwidth available on local video memory?

whatever you're doing, that contrived worst-case scenario is going to go slow even on pcie.

(sorry for the lack of proper case and any typos as I'm on a mobile device)

So again, since PCI-E has such a wide range of speed options that you can't control, and AGP 3.0 (likely the only AGP spec that will be supported by these cards, as with the 7x00 series)..

you mean, it's incompatible with AGP 4x 1.5V motherboards? Why make AGP cards at all if you don't allow a lot of pentium 4 and socket A systems to use them?

This is the replacement for 7600, not 7800. It's marginally possible, I suppose.

Perhaps it's more compelling as an SM4 versus SM2b GPU, than for performance per se.

Jawed

Hi Jawed, i'll be glad if it preforms the same as my X800 as it's actually a really good card. I have no hassles playing new games on it, even if it's just 800x640 / 1024x768 which are the two res's I play on.

The fact that it'll cost $100-$200 is another good thing.. especially cause it supports DX10 ;)

My other option is to buy a X1950Pro AGP ... but some will argue that the CPU will be bandwidth limiting. Of course, I still don't have a problem since I bought 2Gigs of memory and it really isn't scared at anything I chuck at it(for the moment at least).

So, it the card plays as well as my old X800, then i'm happy.

Then there's my sister PC, she just had to buy a new PC without consulting me, and now also has an AGP mobo. tsk tsk. Anyways, the small R9250 that she has will not do, so this card will be brill for it, especially since the kids like to play DX9 games on it and can't.

Also, i'm hoping to see Partner verndors do the same as they did with the BFG 7800GS AGP etc. now that would be kewl, especially if Nvidia allows them to do so.

US

you mean, it's incompatible with AGP 4x 1.5V motherboards? Why make AGP cards at all if you don't allow a lot of pentium 4 and socket A systems to use them?
AGP 3.0 covers 4x and 8x AGP speeds on the 1.5v / 0.83(?) volt interface. Essentially all Pentium 4 and Socket A systems have this AGP interface.

Back to the previous topic...

If someone really has a legitimate example of AGP hindering a midrange part, I'd still like to hear it. I've had the weekend to think about it and think up a few cases, but I still can't fathom any real-life scenario where an AGP interface is going to bottleneck a midrange part...

My other option is to buy a X1950Pro AGP ... but some will argue that the CPU will be bandwidth limiting. Of course, I still don't have a problem since I bought 2Gigs of memory and it really isn't scared at anything I chuck at it(for the moment at least).
Well, I had a few poeple making the same claims in my direction: "your CPU will just bottleneck that card, why do you even bother?"

The reality is, my CPU isn't going to bottleneck my performance when I'm playing at 1680x1050 with 4xAA and 16xAF, or if I'm playing one of the several HDR-enabled games. I can still make my overclocked 7900GT-on-AGP cry for mercy with Oblivion; quite obviously bottlenecked at the card because reducing resolution immediately improves framerate. In fact, at all the same detail settings but at minimum resolution, I'm getting some pretty stellar performance.

It's too bad my "bottlenecked" AGP card just can't keep up, and I'm pretty sure it's not due to the interface ;)

It's too bad my "bottlenecked" AGP card just can't keep up, and I'm pretty sure it's not due to the interface ;)

Ypup, I run a Pd 950 rig with the Gainward AGP 7800GS(20 pipe 7800GT core) and it's my GPU not the CPU that is holdiing me back...

But then again AGP cards don't sell new PCI-E mobo's...and thus the explanation for why they want to fase AGP out.

Albuquerque and Ateo, what kind CPU and how much ram do you have in those systems?

P4E 3.0ghz overclocked to 4.2ghz (280fsb)
1GB of DDR at 560mhz (1:1)
Envy24PT audio
Intel CSA gigabit nic (250mb/sec synchronous, not PCI!)
Promise 20276 Raid + ICH5R raid

Hauls ass for a Socket478 system :D Could do with a bit more ram, which I'll probably buy in the forseeable future. PC4000 DDR ram is pretty cheap these days

AGP 3.0 covers 4x and 8x AGP speeds on the 1.5v / 0.83(?) volt interface. Essentially all Pentium 4 and Socket A systems have this AGP interface.

my AGP is 2.0 you know :p
(but let's forget about that I never heard of a pb with 7600GS AGP and others)

anyway.. more options are better and some people (like me) have a very slow upgrade pace. why not wait a bit for a gf8 if I didn't even got a gf6/7 yet. then I can always go on with the gradual upgrade later (asrock 775/939 dual port mobo, or AGP only - hell there are even nforce 3 AM2 socket motherboards, with AGP 8x. I'm not afraid having to swap mobo later if I need PCIe.)

P4E 3.0ghz overclocked to 4.2ghz (280fsb)
1GB of DDR at 560mhz (1:1)
Envy24PT audio
Intel CSA gigabit nic (250mb/sec synchronous, not PCI!)
Promise 20276 Raid + ICH5R raid

I got an AMD XP3200+ Barton with 2 gigs DDR400 although not Dual Channel as I think there is a problem with the MOBO in Dual Channel. Still, the CPU runs well with most games, thus my decision to go the X1950Pro AGP route. :)

US

Well..maybe AMD can save the day..

AMD first has to release their R600, and they are currently struggling to do so, then mid-range and low-end pci-e, after that AGP. This is going to take a long time, and i want be waiting, i'll be ditching my AGP system soon.

Back