The pros, cons, and techniques of procedural asset creation (renamed)

Now lets think you want a specif atmosphere in a game:
We can argue specific cases 'til the cows come home, but that doesn't change the underlying requirement. If your game has a story and the art needs to reflect that, you have to use artists. If your game is set in a heavily populated city with thousands of rooms and people that you don't want to be clones, you're going to have to use procedural content. If your game is a fantasy game where you want visual variety but don't have much RAM to spare to load lots of models, you'll need an identikit solution that mixes-and-matches parts to get varied goblins, perhaps with Uncharted like animation blending so they don't move like synchronous zombies. If your fantasy game needs loads of varied loot, you're going to need a procedural system to create the items and give them names (a working procedural system used for at least 10 years already).

IMO they really should take the example of guys like adobe and give tools to the dev/artists.
What's wrong with having both solutions that serve different purposes? Especially when giving tools to create assets doesn't solve the issues of RAM or variety that procedural content creation does?

If your game is set in a heavily populated city with thousands of rooms and people that you don't want to be clones, you're going to have to use procedural content.

Really I am not going to see thousands of rooms or even hundreds.

Plus you are assuming it really is possible, as far as we know, that tech dont exist even in the R&D stage.

And even assuming it is possible I showed it to you that would need some serious AI or a near impossible hard rule set that would probably consume your processing power anyway and would need constant refinement from game to game.

If your game is a fantasy game where you want visual variety but don't have much RAM to spare to load lots of models, you'll need an identikit solution that mixes-and-matches parts to get varied goblins, perhaps with Uncharted like animation blending so they don't move like synchronous zombies.

You can have 10 x different legs/arms/heads/body/... that would give a healthy amount of variety, but you would find that seeing the same bodyparts over and over again very repetitive too.

Also it would be even more tiresome seeing the same "trick" repeated game over game.

Maybe if you had 100x different legs/arms/heads/body/... would be better, but then why not having someone doing it all?

Anyway I would prefer 30 good characters than 10x10x10x10=10000 simplistic ones (using these method like Laa-Yosh shows in the image he posted) or maybe even imperfect/sense-less ones.

Also this way, it wouldn't probably cut it for other games unless it is a goblin/monster kind of art (but better than nothing).

If your fantasy game needs loads of varied loot, you're going to need a procedural system to create the items and give them names (a working procedural system used for at least 10 years already).

Could you point me to that system please.

What's wrong with having both solutions that serve different purposes? Especially when giving tools to create assets doesn't solve the issues of RAM or variety that procedural content creation does?

Assuming that procedural can work we can have both, I have no problem with that, I dont see how it saves RAM, disk space maybe, but once the asset is created in this to be stored in RAM, no?

But still you spend your time assuming it is possible and that it would be good enough and it will happen soon enough, I still dont see any thing showing me that, being possible, it will happen anytime soon...

Anyway with the right tools and human can produce a lot of stuff, so that would be my first priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really I am not going to see thousands of rooms or even hundreds.

No you won't, but in a GTA like game if you want most of the buildings to be enterable you will need some procedural generation tools. You may never feel the need to enter most of the buildings, but the fact that you can makes a huge difference to the believability (and marketability..) of the world.

Could you point me to that system please.

Borderlands uses a procedural weapon generation system. It produces some really interesting results. It might be the best implementation of procedural content generation I've come across.

??? Simplified physics is not usually classified as AI techniques.

Ok, my bad I though you are aglomerating them.

No you won't, but in a GTA like game if you want most of the buildings to be enterable you will need some procedural generation tools. You may never feel the need to enter most of the buildings, but the fact that you can makes a huge difference to the believability (and marketability..) of the world.

In that case you might have artists do 500 rooms and repeat them, the end result will be the same, because you will never see all of them anyway to know they are repeating.

Borderlands uses a procedural weapon generation system. It produces some really interesting results. It might be the best implementation of procedural content generation I've come across.

I did started the game 2-3 times (never finished), I always come across with the same weapons, in fact the same everything.

In that game there inst more content or variety in anything, the reasons to advocate procedural art in game.

Personally I didn't liked the weapons look too, or the overall look (artist created I think) so maybe it is just a bad example for my taste, but certainly not something I like to see (the game itself is kinda nice).

Think about this:
How much more human effort would it take if we would try to make a modern game content with the tools we had 5/10/15 years ago? What has changed in the content-creation pipeline to make it more efficient?

Tools evolve. Maybe not as fast as we would like but they still do. I can't see fully procedural (decent) content creation being used any time soon but I'm sure tons of stuff is already done with a mix of (clever) algorithms and some user input that had to be done manually and spending a whole lot more time earlier. Just take sculpting or even 3d scanning in model creation vs manually placing vertices 10-15 years ago.

The earlier example about filling a room shouldn't be too hard to be automated. Having the software try several combinations with different placements and verifying that stuff is still accessible and not blocking the path isn't something hugely complex to do. Adding constraints to objects about what side should be up or against the wall is rather trivial. Not placing things at random angles compared to walls as well.

Plus you are assuming it really is possible, as far as we know, that tech dont exist even in the R&D stage.
It's definitely possible. Firstly I've described my own solutions (varied displacement of one larger texture instead of repeating the same texture, for example). Secondly, and more importantly, there are lots of examples showing the progress of procedural content. There's Uncharted with its animation blending, allowing for hundreds of animations that give Nate a fairly natural look without needing the artists to create hundreds of individual animation cycles. There are the procedural dungeons of Champions of Norrath that show how predesigned tiles can be assembled into gorgeous random levels. There are the random worlds created in Civilization Revolution and Captive and Elite that add considerable replayability of the games. There's SpeedTree building varied forests from parts instead of duplicating the same few tree models ad infinitum. There are the procedural creatures of Spore, that animate without anyone having to apply human intelligence to how the creatures should move, instead creating the animations on the fly from a set of rules. What reason have you to doubt that computers can select and combine various pieces, or apply shaders to vary looks?

And even assuming it is possible I showed it to you that would need some serious AI or a near impossible hard rule set that would probably consume your processing power anyway and would need constant refinement from game to game.
See the above. There's clearly different levels of procedural effort. Some things would need a load of complex AI effort draining resources (like From Dust's procedurally created worlds). Others can be jolly simple, like shifting an NPC's base hue or value so it's a slightly different skin-shader to a copy of the same model, just to add a little variety.

You can have 10 x different legs/arms/heads/body/... that would give a healthy amount of variety, but you would find that seeing the same bodyparts over and over again very repetitive too.
Perhaps in some cases. But even if so, isn't that better than seeing the same 10 people over and over?! Why is the argument against procedural content "it's not perfect", when we accept so many other tricks and imperfect solutions in our realtime engines? :???:

Also it would be even more tiresome seeing the same "trick" repeated game over game.
More tiresome than seeing the same models over and over?

Anyway I would prefer 30 good characters than 10x10x10x10=10000 simplistic ones (using these method like Laa-Yosh shows in the image he posted) or maybe even imperfect/sense-less ones.
You're still focusing on human characters, and I already said that'd be the hardest nut to crack. Are we to abandon all progress in procedural content creation because we can't nail human's down first try??

Assuming that procedural can work we can have both, I have no problem with that, I dont see how it saves RAM, disk space maybe, but once the asset is created in this to be stored in RAM, no?
See SpeedTree. You store a dozen small pieces in RAM and these are assembled on the fly. That's a lot more RAM saved versus storing lots of individual models. Or see Uncharted - you only need as much RAM as each of the individual motion path, and not enough RAM for every combination of every animation blend.

But still you spend your time assuming it is possible and that it would be good enough and it will happen soon enough, I still dont see any thing showing me that, being possible, it will happen anytime soon...
Are you calling me overly optimistic? :p I have every faith in software developers, if only they'd be given the room to maneouvre and motivation.

Anyway with the right tools and human can produce a lot of stuff, so that would be my first priority.
But that doesn't solve many of the issues. Also most of those tools you love are automations using computer AI to do work. ;) eg. Photoshop's smart fill is using AI to do the work of an artist.

In that case you might have artists do 500 rooms and repeat them, the end result will be the same...
Except you need artists to create 500 rooms with a variety of furniture, furnishings, and paint-jobs, and storage for those rooms. Whereas using an idealised procedural system, the artists would only need create a set of components that could fit in a room, and the system would generate the rooms on the fly. Less storage, less cost, even if the experience for the user is the same. Where this wouldn't work (presently) is something like lightmaps, so you'd be limited to a simple lighting model say. Next gen's GI approximations should solve that problem.

I did started the game 2-3 times (never finished), I always come across with the same weapons, in fact the same everything.
You're looking at that from the wrong POV. The better examples are fantasy games where you have the likes of "Sharp Sword of Smiting +3". Some games advertise 'thousands of weapons and items', which present the player a balancing act in choosing which gear to use, and gives them the ever-present excitement of finding more and better loot, but it would be totally unfeasible to have artists individually create and name 10000 different items. By using a procedural system of prefixes and suffixes and base terms, the names remain descriptive and the items varied. Now of course, the items aren't terribly different - just a variation in numbers - but that difference is the basis of any loot game. A gun that does 10 damage is a great find early on. Then you find one that does 22 damage and that's a great find. Then one that does 50 damage. Each new weapon adding to your power contributes to part of the whole experience, and this is achieved without having to invent 10000 different unique items. If the content of these games was only artist created weapons, there'd be a handful of items and you'd loose the whole loot-finding experience.

Borderlands does present a good example of the repetitive nature of characters though. There were a handful of enemy types, all exact clones. Next gen could add 4x the number of character types, but you'd quickly learn to recognise them all. Or it could mix-and-match and vary them, and produce a load of similar looking characters but who at least don't look like exact facsimilies of each other.

Given the costs of producing and rendering many different characters or level contents, the advantages of turning some processing power over to the task are quite apparent. It's a matter of how much and how applicable the processing power there is, and whether the software techniques are developed. This field hasn't seen as much work as others such as lighting solutions and AI.

I think bottom line we will see mostly the same content we've been seeing the past few years but in higher resolution.

If we are lucky we will see procedural detail.

Things that are insignificant in the grand scheme, but that add a touch of realism.

Same models and textures, but with the added fine details in things like:
cloth texture,
sand texture,
dirt texture,
wall texture,
skin texture,
rock/stone texture,
bark texture, etc.

Additional variation in things like:
level of dirt
level of wear n tear
level of sun damage
level of rust
etc

The vast majority of style and look will be dictated by artists, but smaller details which don't matter in the overall look of the game can be procedurally generated to add detail when a camera is close enough to see a texture lose its detail (as happens in every game at one point or another).

It's a quick way to fill in that detail without spending a ton of artist time.

Honestly, the best way to go for our industry would be in following the footsteps of the "Matrix". Content generation for the vast majority of commonly seen items in our world. As is, these items are recreated over, and over, and over again.

Vegetation generators like Xfrog go a long way in helping to bridge this gap in that arena while providing "unique" vegetation that is based on rules which define the plant. This type of implementation for other content could be great.

Another modifier on the generators could be used to provide a master "style" type to change the look of the world. This would provide a way for games of different styles, types and target demographics to still use the same master dataset.

Granted, many of the game worlds are fantasy and aren't based on the world that we are familiar with, but the trend is more toward realistic environments.

Just like most movies that we see are based on the world we live in, yet we aren't tired of them and we don't tire of them. There may be extraordinary events which take place in this otherwise ordinary world, but for the most part, they are based on earthly materials and focus instead on story and characters.

Our industry needs to figure out a way to monetize this needed investment in modeling rules for generating procedural content beyond a few species of plants.

As is, the current trend is unsustainable.

We will be left with fewer and fewer development houses focusing on traditional games and more focusing on lightweight mobile and free to play "games".

The industry could start with a sloppy version of google earth with only a few major cities modeled in any sort of detail and the rest, a mostly procedurally generated facsimile of the regions the represent. With time (and need) the other regions could be populated with more realistic representations which more closely resemble their real world environments.

Essentially creating a digital "set" as the movie industry would call it that would be added to as needed. Then when a game would need to make use of a certain area, that region could be copied for that games purpose.

Apply desired art style to procedurally generated content within the region, and viola, the game world asset creation is complete.

Art asset creation budget could then be spent where it needs to be spent...

Characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the costs of producing and rendering many different characters or level contents....

Indeed,

Costs will be the breaking point which brings procedural content generation to the forefront of game development.

I'm expecting a shift in this direction for next generation.

We already witnessed many good studios which made reasonable sales targets still get shut down due to the skyrocketing development costs. Most of those costs are in the creation phase.

Just like this generation saw the game engine become too large/costly for each developer to tackle for each game, I think this generation we will see the same for content creation.

A smart company with a ton of capital could have seen this coming years ago and been cracking at it to license to other developers to ease game investment.

It's definitely possible. Firstly I've described my own solutions (varied displacement of one larger texture instead of repeating the same texture, for example). Secondly, and more importantly, there are lots of examples showing the progress of procedural content. There's Uncharted with its animation blending, allowing for hundreds of animations that give Nate a fairly natural look without needing the artists to create hundreds of individual animation cycles. There are the procedural dungeons of Champions of Norrath that show how predesigned tiles can be assembled into gorgeous random levels. There are the random worlds created in Civilization Revolution and Captive and Elite that add considerable replayability of the games. There's SpeedTree building varied forests from parts instead of duplicating the same few tree models ad infinitum. There are the procedural creatures of Spore, that animate without anyone having to apply human intelligence to how the creatures should move, instead creating the animations on the fly from a set of rules. What reason have you to doubt that computers can select and combine various pieces, or apply shaders to vary looks?

I am not sure I would call procedural art to Uncharted animation system :???: It seemed to me it is more some kind of interpolation, it is like calling Anti Aliasing procedural art.

Champions of Norrath, Civilization Revolution and Captive, if I am not mistaken are pretty simple in gfx and in terms of environment, so also a very easy to create a rule set and randomize stuff, completely different matter in programming terms.

In other game like RTS maps actually it is a nice addicition, sure it is much less pleasurable to play ina computer generated map, but it is cool to play sometimes.

But they are just that, a nice addition not a replacement.

On Spore I kinda agree with you, but lets remind that it is a game 8 years in development and the use is limited to animation and unrealistic creatures. Personaly I wouldnt mind having a look at the basis fur such generation but for the little I saw it seems that is quite physics based, not "art based". Anyway a phenomenal work that probably couldnt be used in many other games, specially more realistic ones.

This is the kind of stuff that we should see more times.

But you have conscience that it is creature made by you, so like in a blog you get "good results" from the pre-made stuff but you don't get that distinguish look that make that a worthwhile job to be shared (unless the text is good).

None will remember spore because of the animation, but they will actually see it as tools for simpler art works.

See the above. There's clearly different levels of procedural effort. Some things would need a load of complex AI effort draining resources (like From Dust's procedurally created worlds). Others can be jolly simple, like shifting an NPC's base hue or value so it's a slightly different skin-shader to a copy of the same model, just to add a little variety.

From what I saw of From Dust I wouldnt call that prucedural art, it actually seems symplified tools, the same kind of tools there was in the Far Cry XB(1) map generator.

Maybe what you call procedural art I call of tool.

Perhaps in some cases. But even if so, isn't that better than seeing the same 10 people over and over?! Why is the argument against procedural content "it's not perfect", when we accept so many other tricks and imperfect solutions in our realtime engines? :???:

More tiresome than seeing the same models over and over?

I dont mind reading/hearing/seeing/... a good book/movie/album/... several times. But something that is only passable it gets really tiresome very fast. Tell me, you usually see/hear/read again stuff that it isnt good (only enough) :?:

You're still focusing on human characters, and I already said that'd be the hardest nut to crack. Are we to abandon all progress in procedural content creation because we can't nail human's down first try??

I think it would aply to many thing not just humans, but to at least to everything that we have a depper connection, or that we can easily see patterns or single parts (like goblins legs).

Anyway I do think R&D should be done, just think that tools would be at least as important and in the near terms, much more important to actual games

See SpeedTree. You store a dozen small pieces in RAM and these are assembled on the fly. That's a lot more RAM saved versus storing lots of individual models. Or see Uncharted - you only need as much RAM as each of the individual motion path, and not enough RAM for every combination of every animation blend.

That is where it is perfect IMO ( I think I said so some posts ago).
But mostly because it stress to much or perception, these are offline rendered, complex objects that come in large bulks and is really hard to see patterns in it. Also we dont care about details in trees, like we do in human made stuff, so it gets even harder.

Great results too.

Are you calling me overly optimistic? :p I have every faith in software developers, if only they'd be given the room to maneouvre and motivation.

Me too. But I also have in good tools and good artists :LOL:.

But that doesn't solve many of the issues. Also most of those tools you love are automations using computer AI to do work. ;) eg. Photoshop's smart fill is using AI to do the work of an artist.

I wouldnt call AI to that either.

Contextual fill is the exact opposite of what you want, it doesnt create any variety and dont create anything at all at the best it create continuity.

Second, when you use it you have a really good idea of how it will end.

Third, it is human controled, case to case, that is why it is powerful.

I will argue aesthetics (my, not finished, master thesis theme) and say that what it creat is not art, but the choice of use it to create/replace is art.

Except you need artists to create 500 rooms with a variety of furniture, furnishings, and paint-jobs, and storage for those rooms. Whereas using an idealised procedural system, the artists would only need create a set of components that could fit in a room, and the system would generate the rooms on the fly. Less storage, less cost, even if the experience for the user is the same. Where this wouldn't work (presently) is something like lightmaps, so you'd be limited to a simple lighting model say. Next gen's GI approximations should solve that problem.

Are you sure it is that diferent from a artist work, they reuse lots of stuff across different places.

You're looking at that from the wrong POV. The better examples are fantasy games where you have the likes of "Sharp Sword of Smiting +3". Some games advertise 'thousands of weapons and items', which present the player a balancing act in choosing which gear to use, and gives them the ever-present excitement of finding more and better loot, but it would be totally unfeasible to have artists individually create and name 10000 different items. By using a procedural system of prefixes and suffixes and base terms, the names remain descriptive and the items varied. Now of course, the items aren't terribly different - just a variation in numbers - but that difference is the basis of any loot game. A gun that does 10 damage is a great find early on. Then you find one that does 22 damage and that's a great find. Then one that does 50 damage. Each new weapon adding to your power contributes to part of the whole experience, and this is achieved without having to invent 10000 different unique items. If the content of these games was only artist created weapons, there'd be a handful of items and you'd loose the whole loot-finding experience.

I will not comment because I dont know the specif game, but t seems quite simplistic to me from your description, not sure it does have many advantages.

Given the costs of producing and rendering many different characters or level contents, the advantages of turning some processing power over to the task are quite apparent. It's a matter of how much and how applicable the processing power there is, and whether the software techniques are developed. This field hasn't seen as much work as others such as lighting solutions and AI.

The same can be said for tools.

Anyway I think procedural art is still very limited but have lots of potential at least in specific tasks like tree or spore.

I still like a sentient touch in games so it would never replace it for me, I will play much more a creatively, intelligent and unique map (like in a Mario game) than a a random, rule based one in those games you mentioned.

So they should invest in it as it can bring some great results in very specif tasks with little art in it.

I think bottom line we will see mostly the same content we've been seeing the past few years but in higher resolution.

If we are lucky we will see procedural detail.

Things that are insignificant in the grand scheme, but that add a touch of realism.

Same models and textures, but with the added fine details in things like:
cloth texture,
sand texture,
dirt texture,
wall texture,
skin texture,
rock/stone texture,
bark texture, etc.

Additional variation in things like:
level of dirt
level of wear n tear
level of sun damage
level of rust
etc

The vast majority of style and look will be dictated by artists, but smaller details which don't matter in the overall look of the game can be procedurally generated to add detail when a camera is close enough to see a texture lose its detail (as happens in every game at one point or another).

It's a quick way to fill in that detail without spending a ton of artist time.

Why not create simplified algorithms to help creation and variation of these stuff by artists, not unlike Lasso and Contextual Fill in photoshop, but were you have a degree of control over some properties in a very accessible place (like dinamicaly contextual menus).

As far as I know you have quite a few options to control the tree creation in speedtree on a large scale, although I may be wrong in this.

I think a lot of you guys don't get the concept of art direction...

Anyway, I'd be happy to see any good procedural tools that really work well, I really hate 12-hour days and 6-day weeks. But there's a level of quality we're expected to reach and it is impossible to do with these tools, the same way it's been ten years ago. The bar is raised every year, and as Hoho pointed out, it's the advancement in the ocntent creation tools that really helps here and not the automatic stuff. There's still a lot of room left to improve our workflows, get rid of restrictions, so that the artists themselves can create more stuff, instead of trying to rely on stupid computers (because that's what they are, stupid).

Oh, and sure Elite had a lot of planets but all of them were boring. I'd much rather take the smaller galaxy of Privateer that had character and unique attributes. I also don't have the time to explore hundreds of random generated worlds that are all equally uninteresting, give me 10 different planets and I'm a lot more happy. Do we really need dozens and hundreds of meaningless variations in a game, exploring them all and having no fun with them? That is why people prefer the tighter, directed experience of COD games instead of wondering around a large, procedurally generated but ultimately empty world.

Anyway, I'd be happy to see any good procedural tools that really work well, I really hate 12-hour days and 6-day weeks. But there's a level of quality we're expected to reach and it is impossible to do with these tools, the same way it's been ten years ago. The bar is raised every year, and as Hoho pointed out, it's the advancement in the ocntent creation tools that really helps here and not the automatic stuff.
Actually what I was trying to hint at was that content generation tools will most likely getting more and more automation built into them. There is a very thin line between automation and procedural content generation. I'm quite sure for majority of things we can't get fully-automated systems working any time soon but human-assisted ones should be pretty decent and the amount of assistance humans have to give will get lower and lower as the software improves.

I am not sure I would call procedural art to Uncharted animation system :???: It seemed to me it is more some kind of interpolation, it is like calling Anti Aliasing procedural art.
okay, you are working to a very different definition and thought process to me, which is why this discussion is going in circles. Procedural/algorithmic means getting a computer to work out how something should be instead of a person manually telling the computer. Uncharted animations are procedural. It's an example of a computer mixing a selection of parts (animation cycles in this case) and blending them. It's exactly the same idea as taking a number of character parts and blending them to make a character.

As such, procedural content covers a huge area. From assembling premade parts to create a whole, to adjusting a model or texture on the fly, to creating a new model or texture from scratch. From Dust's environment's are a mix of procedural content, as the levels were created by artists and yet can be created and changed in game, rather than being a baked level. The only difference between a level building tool and procedural levels is whether the same tools for raising/lowering/colouring land and adding objects are executed via a human or AI.

Champions of Norrath, Civilization Revolution and Captive, if I am not mistaken are pretty simple in gfx and in terms of environment, so also a very easy to create a rule set and randomize stuff, completely different matter in programming terms.
They're far from random, especially Captive that had codes to find to access locked out areas. The levels in that game were perfect for the game. They all show it can work. What game situation can't it work? We've seen procedural content like this is even used in movies to create cities!

This is the kind of stuff that we should see more times.

But you have conscience that it is creature made by you, so like in a blog you get "good results" from the pre-made stuff but you don't get that distinguish look that make that a worthwhile job to be shared (unless the text is good).

None will remember spore because of the animation, but they will actually see it as tools for simpler art works.
But most of us aren't expecting procedural content to create works of art that'll live on in memory for years to come! It just needs to flesh out the world and add a bit of variety, which is what most art in a game is about I dare say. The arrangements of crap in Borderlands weren't artistic, but just set a mood and added visual interest to an otherwise empty world. Likewise the crap in Infamous. Likewise the crap in Dungeon Siege 3. Speedtree isn't trying to create unique and beautiful trees that stick in the memory. If your game requires a noteworthy tree to arrest the player's attention, you'll get an artist to do it. Speedtree is all about filling in the background in a more natural, less jarring way than repetitions of the same tree.

I dont mind reading/hearing/seeing/... a good book/movie/album/... several times. But something that is only passable it gets really tiresome very fast. Tell me, you usually see/hear/read again stuff that it isnt good (only enough) :?:
There's a WORLD of difference between a good artwork and a bit of background. how often do you stop in the street to admire a bit of trash in an alleyway? Or stop in a pine woods and look over each and every tree and appreciate it's beauty? How jarring would it be instead to walk past alleyways seeing they were all exactly the same?! Or noticing every tree in the woods you were in was one of three models? If you saw that in real life you'd freak out because it's unnatural. Life has more variety, which isn't yet modeled in computer games.

I wouldnt call AI to that either.
But it is. Instead of the user having to select parts of the photo, duplicate them, extend and blend them following scene contours, a computer performs those processes. The computer does nothing a human operator wouldn't do, only much faster. Of course, without any artistic appreciation for what's happening, so it may not produce results that'd be good enough for final without a human's touching up. But it is procedural, AI content, and another example of how the technology of computer's creating content is improving.

Some quick comments:

Intelligence is defined by being everything that a human can do and a computer can't. As soon as a computer can do it, it is no longer intelligent or human. Everyone knows this. ;)

ModNation Racers track creation tools are a great example of how procedurally generated content and manual direction work together - you choose one of eight 'themes', 'draw' the track and control its banking and elevation, create mountains, valleys and lakes, but all is done by simple 'drawing'. You can then automatically have the computer fill in details (houses, sheep, trees, etc.) randomly, which works well and is also presented in a very attractive way. You can still customise everything at heart, place, move and remove individual objects, carefully place powerups and ramps and generally direct the racing experience.

There are several more examples of such 'happy marriages' just in the racing genre (with GT5 on one end of the spectrum where room for user input is more limited, and Trackmania on the other).

Uncharted 2's animation system is absolutely a good example, and an interesting contrast to the way Assassin's Creed works. Uncharted has a number of basic animations that it can intelligently blend (reasonably) limited to what a human being can do, but still producing highly interactive results, e.g. you can run over all sorts of terrain with intelligent and dynamic foot placement, shoot in multiple directions at the same time, and with automatic scared reactions like shrugs and ducks added when the character is being shot at. It's just one example of what can happen in Uncharted, but it is a prime example of what can go wrong.

I think a lot of you guys don't get the concept of art direction...
Why do you consider procedural content opposed to art direction? The city blocks in King Kong were procedurally generated in the desired art style by building blocks made by artists. It's not like procedural content occurs without any artists involvement. In fact it should be the quite the opposite, with artists having to learn to think about and create adaptable content, in much the same way they've had to learn how to create seamless textures. Perhaps it won't be a case of creating independent car models, but creating a few car models within a set of design parameters (same number of vertices, same texture coordinates), and then creating the shaders that'll generate a lot of variations in game? As long as the variables are artist controlled, the art direction can be preserved.

Anyway, I'd be happy to see any good procedural tools that really work well, I really hate 12-hour days and 6-day weeks. But there's a level of quality we're expected to reach and it is impossible to do with these tools, the same way it's been ten years ago. The bar is raised every year, and as Hoho pointed out, it's the advancement in the ocntent creation tools that really helps here and not the automatic stuff. There's still a lot of room left to improve our workflows, get rid of restrictions, so that the artists themselves can create more stuff, instead of trying to rely on stupid computers (because that's what they are, stupid).
I agree with that, except it doesn't solve the issue of limited RAM. We cannot get more variety in games if we keep hitting RAM limits on how much content we can load and render. We need advances in both fields. Offline tools get lots of attention though, hence me feeling the need to champion realtime tools. :mrgreen:

Oh, and sure Elite had a lot of planets but all of them were boring.
... :???: ... :oops:! Elite was made 25 years ago! On a computer with 32k RAM! For the time it wasn't boring at all; many games from that era are dead boring now; and, maybe I'm being a bit of a dreamer here, but I'm reasonably confident that with the progress made in technology over the past 25 years, a far more varied and interesting world could be built on the same principles.

Back