What are the Pros & Cons of having a PowerVR GPU in a Next Gen Console?

So how many of those "cores" or "nodes" can you add to the full GPU before you hit some nasty bottleneck? How much work will be duplicated in those nodes (triangle setup?)?

For the current generation of Series5XT cores one could theoretically connect up to 16 cores (MP16).

From the whitepaper Roderic posted above section 4.7:

The SGX-MP architecture is designed to scale as close to linearly as possible as more graphics cores are used. In typical real-world performance conditions (running well known game engines, graphics applications, benchmarks etc), each additional core runs at 95%+ the efficiency of a single core. Additionally, adding another core to the system only increases the overall memory bandwidth for a frame by <1%.

A SGX543 or 544MP16@200MHz would result on paper to Xenos XBox360 graphics performance.

Their new up to DX11.x generation Series6/Rogue, hasn't been fully announced yet and details over it are sparse. However from the two so far announced cores G6200 & G6400 the latter should be roughly on the fore mentioned MP16 level. Cores should be quite more efficient this time and probably scalable to higher amounts than with Series5XT.

Also, if contents of the initial post in this thread are to be trusted, Rogue should be able to go MP32+. ;)

I'm not so sure if that should read MP or rather MP+MC. So far they've announced the G6200 and G6400 "multi-cluster" designs for which they claimed can scale up to 1 TFLOP. It seems that you can get 200GFLOPs out of a 4 cluster G6400. To reach that TFLOP you'd need a G6400MP5 (MC4*MP5= Mn20 :devilish: )

Could it be?

original.jpg

A New, $99 Console Called Ouya Is Real and Radically Different From Xbox, PlayStation and Wii

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's not powered by PowerVR why are you posting that in this thread?:???:

I said could it be?

since it's a android console it would seem that the GPU would be PowerVR (or Mali) . unless you know for sure that it's not PowerVR because I haven't been able to find the specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever it is, it's not going to be a next-gen console. Not even a this-gen console at $99 running download games.

Whatever it is, it's not going to be a next-gen console. Not even a this-gen console at $99 running download games.

Is it not going to be a next-gen console at $99???? How could you think that? :D

But with all due respect, the iPad1 and iPhone 4 can run infinity blade at around 25 fps;
the resolution being 1024*768 and 960*640 or something. They are powered by the PowerVR SGX 535.
The 540 is already present in low-low budget android tablets. It's more powerful btw.
If it were the 540 powering this $99 dollar console, then it could have the potential to destroy the this-gen wii, even at higher resolutions.

If people can stand the wii (where art matters a lot, for example: mario games look gorgeous, even with the low polycounts and resolution). Then this $99 console could compete, at least with that.

Although I am 98% sure that the android games can never compete; the budget and artists are not there.

Is it not going to be a next-gen console at $99???? How could you think that? :D

But with all due respect, the iPad1 and iPhone 4 can run infinity blade at around 25 fps;
the resolution being 1024*768 and 960*640 or something. They are powered by the PowerVR SGX 535.
The 540 is already present in low-low budget android tablets. It's more powerful btw.
If it were the 540 powering this $99 dollar console, then it could have the potential to destroy the this-gen wii, even at higher resolutions.

If people can stand the wii (where art matters a lot, for example: mario games look gorgeous, even with the low polycounts and resolution). Then this $99 console could compete, at least with that.

Although I am 98% sure that the android games can never compete; the budget and artists are not there.

Yes, you are quite correct that thus machine should be able to compete with Wii (Gamecube 1.5 with extra memory) that is 2 generations old tech. But why would this machine want to compete with a current gen extender?

I remember Vita received a patch to play 1080p video. So Vita TV should be able to do the same.

Wondering where the bottleneck is, human or machine.

I suspect they need to update the Vita PSN experience. On Vita the portable, all PSN connections are stateless. The system connects and disconnects on-demand. This makes a rather poor experience. In TV mode, we should be able to stay connected as long as we want to.

In TV mode, the Vita processors should be able to run faster since the device is always powered. But they also need to tackle the heat issue. The TV unit looks very compact.

Back