The Order: 1886

I'm a bit new to this but is CA an artifact or a style choice ? If the latter what is it trying to emulate?

Congrats to RAD...even with all those obvious and right into your face fundamental 'flaws' they put into this game because they are dumb ass devs and don't know better....somehow, every single review and every single hands-on report in forums noted that this is without a doubt the best looking game they ever saw up to date and the closest to offline CGI yet.

Oh RAD you stupid lucky bastards...

I'm a bit new to this but is CA an artifact or a style choice ? If the latter what is it trying to emulate?
Simpler explanation to HTupolev's (;)) - it's an optical artefact in lenses. High quality lenses attempt to mimise it, and nowadays some processing on digital cameras can reduce/remove it (the properties of the lens are known so the separation of the wavelengths can be compensated). Oh, and spectacles have it too, so I actually have CA as a daily experience in real life. :( Actually the brain compensates very well. :)

In games, just like lens flare, it's an optical artefact added to make the images look more like a photograph, recreating the faults and limitations of optics that the optical industry are trying to get rid off. If the optics industry could accomplish all their goal, photographs would be as crisp as computer games!

so they are trying to emulate what people has accustomed with.

btw some CA is good while some others is annoying (crysis)

Another thing about CA is that AFAIK it should get stronger the further away you are from the center point of the lens. So it's okay to have more obvious artifacting near the edges of the screen...

250px-Chromatic_aberration_lens_diagram.svg.png

Keep in mind that in the following image, the effect is that strong because it's most likely a cropped piece of a much larger photo:
Uncorrected-and-Corrected-CA.jpg

That's what you'd expect but public reaction shows the contrary. This paradox applies to P.T. as well, BTW.

http://i5.minus.com/iTEnsXhK63tVm.jpg

Some devs just go all out when they find a new trick lol.
To be fair P.T. looked great because of it's great lighting in a very very limited scope and the noise/distortion gave it a hand held camera like effect. But yes I see what you mean, without the handheld camera like effect it would look quite gamey. But that's is what the "cinematic immersion" is about I guess.

Dear mighty mods, is it possible to split the CA talk into a new tec thread...everytime the order thread pops up, no discussion about the order, just about how super blurry it looks due to CA or whatever...gets boring and derails the thread imo...

Another thing about CA is that AFAIK it should get stronger the further away you are from the center point of the lens. So it's okay to have more obvious artifacting near the edges of the screen...

250px-Chromatic_aberration_lens_diagram.svg.png

Keep in mind that in the following image, the effect is that strong because it's most likely a cropped piece of a much larger photo:
Uncorrected-and-Corrected-CA.jpg
It does. And nowadays in photography, a lens with noticeable CA at the edges of the picture is a Bad Lens. Bad Lens! Bad!

So MJP if you're able to reply to this, are you or the team considering to include a Photomode for the game at release? I can only think of how much more we can appreciate the intricate details of the world, character models and of course Galahad's mustache through different views and angles, if the results of Infamous SS and Drive Club are any indication :).

Its not the enviroment that I find bothersome, its the idea of shooting at smudges and muzzle flashes.

It's Victorian London. Everything was blurry and smudged because of the smog ;)

Dear mighty mods, is it possible to split the CA talk into a new tec thread...everytime the order thread pops up, no discussion about the order, just about how super blurry it looks due to CA or whatever...gets boring and derails the thread imo...

Is talking about the visuals of a game off-topic on B3D?

No, of course not.

But the CA talk is general tec talk and deserves another thread imo. The last posts aren't really about The Order...but who cares anyways at this point.

Meh. There's no other discussion being drowned out. It keeps the thread alive and people visiting, which is good for the game to remain visible. When RAD start releasing more game content stuff to be discussed, I expect discussion will naturally move to that (and at that point, OT will be controlled as needed).

The whole CA discussion will simply die out as we get more details from the game, which is released next month anyway.

EDIT: ^ Or what this troll said ^
It's released next month? Oh shit, time to buy a PS4 or something LOL... uggg dammitttt, I need to see this game in person.
go go mjp close to the finish line!

It's released next month? Oh shit, time to buy a PS4 or something LOL... uggg dammitttt, I need to see this game in person.
Yeah. Had to do a double take myself. We are in fact in January 2015. Scary. I'm so old.

Besides, you should rush and buy it now, there are some ridiculous deals still available.

Last edited:

Yup, can't wait myself...I want to see this game in person on my own TV to see what all this fuzz is about.

I wonder if the devs go for a more 'analogue' look similar to what the Killzone 2 devs wanted and did back than.

I am also curious about the length of this SP game and the consistency of the quality of the assets throughout the game.

Back