The Order: 1886

Path Tracing look a bit expensive for real time. We will probably stay with rasterization and GI approximation for the foreseeable future.

Sadly, the gaming industry is at the mercy of the hardware vendors and API developers. If Nvidia/ATI don't invest in ray-tracing technology, then games won't see it.

I don't see why blurriness requires a specific definition. Do you have close ups that show high-res textures on the environment?
I dont understand what you mean with blurriness, this is why in this case a definition is required. And yes it can be defined in one way or another, because it may result from a different cause or what you call "blurriness" may be something different for the rest. Do you have close ups that show the opposite?
As I said we dont have clear evidence of one or the other. The image posted was just from one area, from one trailer, from an old build. It is not a large enough sample to define consistency of low res textures throughout the whole game. It is still undetermined.

How could you even spot them when the IQ is blurry in the first place.
Just because a games uses a lot of post processing effects to create a unique look doesn't necessarily mean the textures are automatically low res. Your rationale of motion blur and etc to hide the low res textures is seriously flawed, it' like saying this girl looks super pretty, so it must be those fancy makeups to hide the flaws. Can it happen? Sure, but only to a certain extent, what if she still look super pretty without the makeups? I can't believe how biased you are regarding to this and you have yet to prove majority of what we seen are low res laden textures anyway.

I dont understand what you mean with blurriness, this is why in this case a definition is required. And yes it can be defined in one way or another, because it may result from a different cause or what you call "blurriness" may be something different for the rest. Do you have close ups that show the opposite?
Here's an example of CA induced blurriness:

Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

A bit extreme but there you go.

As I said we dont have clear evidence of one or the other. The image posted was just from one area, from one trailer, from an old build. It is not a large enough sample to define consistency of low res textures throughout the whole game. It is still undetermined.
I'm going to take that as "no".

Just because a games uses a lot of post processing effects to create a unique look doesn't necessarily mean the textures are automatically low res. Your rationale of motion blur and etc to hide the low res textures is seriously flawed, it' like saying this girl looks super pretty, so it must be those fancy makeups to hide the flaws. Can it happen? Sure, but only to a certain extent, what if she still look super pretty without the makeups? I can't believe how biased you are regarding to this and you have yet to prove majority of what we seen are low res laden textures anyway.
I didn't say that games that use postprocessing effects automatically have low res textures. I said that this game does. And provided proof of it.

It's easy enough to search for recent native-res gameplay screenshots and it's pretty obvious they're blurry, even without motion blur. Doesn't make much sense to use pin-sharp textures when they aren't being resolved to such fidelity at the exit of the rendering pipe. Of course, 'high res' is ill defined...

Gonna have to really zoom in on the environment textures once I get the game for a proper inspection, a lot of the shots I've seen are either out of camera focus, in motion or too dark to tell. I'll reserve judgement till then. But also it would be quite bizarre if they couldn't fit high res textures despite having 4.5g of ram to use. Or perhaps a limitation of their streaming system.

It wouldn't be bizarre if they don't need high-res textures as the aesthetic is 'fairly cheap camera-lens'. If you have an effective few pixels blur for each texel, you can save resources by using lower resolution textures to start with.

that's not to say low res textures are being used per se. The earlier shots of The Order lack the heavy post processing and show more detail. RAD may have a photo mode and high res textures to support that for all we know. The only take home point at the mo' is that the game as shown in the latest gameplay is pretty blurry (realistic, from another POV) and we can't see super sharp textures.

Gonna have to really zoom in on the environment textures once I get the game for a proper inspection, a lot of the shots I've seen are either out of camera focus, in motion or too dark to tell. I'll reserve judgement till then. But also it would be quite bizarre if they couldn't fit high res textures despite having 4.5g of ram to use. Or perhaps a limitation of their streaming system.
According to some people in this thread even if you zoom you won't be able to tell if the textures resolution will be high enough because of the blur... It's a joke if it isn't clear.

It's kind of funny and sad that a beating of a particular dead horse started on page 4. I can't wait until the game comes out, then we can have more substance to talk about.

Here's an example of CA induced blurriness:

Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

A bit extreme but there you go.

I'm going to take that as "no".

I didn't say that games that use postprocessing effects automatically have low res textures. I said that this game does. And provided proof of it.

I honestly find the Order's use of CA to be a heck of a lot more subtle and less extreme than that. I rather like it myself, but then I rather enjoy J.J. Abrams movies ;)

The image quality of The Order looks perfectly fine to me honestly. No more particularly blurry than the averages 900p up scaled to 1080p game on the XB1 (which is like most of them).

Given that I spent the last 8yrs squinting at sub-720p imagery on PS3, I'm pretty much counting my blessings this gen. Of course your threshold sensitivity to a mild blurring of an image is almost certainly greater than mine, and I would hazard a guess at that being a function of you also being a PC gamer.

I agree with you in that the post-processing in the Order produces some blur, but not that it's intended to hide flaws which would be obvious with or without the CA or other post-processing techniques used. The mere fact that were able to find a shot showing a low res texture in an old build of the game proves that the post-processing isn't done to hide flaws like low-res textures (since you wouldn't have found one otherwise).

If anything I'd say they make it look more flawed because of how sensitive people are to noise and blur...even the average players.

The game with worst CA is definitely Lords of the Fallen, it's one game where it makes no sense and actively hurts the image in an obvious way. The game is doing some incredible things with tech but it looks like ass and has an astonishingly generic art style. Then there's Alien Isolation where the CA is just as strong but it's used in such a way that it compliments the visuals of the game. (I still turn it off from time to time though)

Is The Order using some kind of chromatic abberation? I noticed more that there was motion blur, depth of field, vignetting on the screen edges and some kind of "filmic" effect. I thought it looked more soft and grainy than having weird "fringing" colour. Is that part of the simulated lens effect they're doing?

The CA on the environment doesn't bother me one bit. Blur on enemy NPCs is another matter. It stand outs like a sore thumb to me especially considering that during actual gameplay its those objects that are going to attract most of your focus.

People shouldn't be faceless at less than 100 feet.

Look at the pic posted by Shifty above.

Its not the enviroment that I find bothersome, its the idea of shooting at smudges and muzzle flashes.

Last edited:
Going through the images on gamersyde, it's a lot blurrier than I remember, but overall I still think it looks very good. I think it's the art direction and the quality of the lighting and shadows that fit so well with the dark Victorian look.

If anything I'd say they make it look more flawed because of how sensitive people are to noise and blur...even the average players.
That's what you'd expect but public reaction shows the contrary. This paradox applies to P.T. as well, BTW.

http://i5.minus.com/iTEnsXhK63tVm.jpg

The game with worst CA is definitely Lords of the Fallen, it's one game where it makes no sense and actively hurts the image in an obvious way. The game is doing some incredible things with tech but it looks like ass and has an astonishingly generic art style. Then there's Alien Isolation where the CA is just as strong but it's used in such a way that it compliments the visuals of the game. (I still turn it off from time to time though)
Some devs just go all out when they find a new trick lol.

Back