The nvidia future architecture thread (G100/GT300 and such)

Oh snap I didnt know that! But then again I have been tweaking my cvars a lot so how can you tell what exactly is very high settings? Ah anyway I am not touching that game again until I get a pair of nvidia's next gen vid cards :)

Specifically AF doesn't work in conjunction with parallax occlusion mapping. Use the console command "r_usePOM 0" to disable it if you want to be sure, but it is only active by default when you set shaders to very high.

Anyway back on topic, have you worked out nv's future architecture yet
well hurry up nvidia are waiting to get started on it

thanks
ps: when they say 1xaa do they mean 0xaa (soz for the off topic)

1x sample means no AA or no AF. There's no such thing as "zero samples" you have to look at something on your screen don't you? LOL

Anyway back on topic, have you worked out nv's future architecture yet
well hurry up nvidia are waiting to get started on it

How can you work out anything when you have not a single shred of information to even make some half way reasonable speculations? I can tell you what my personal feelings are: either NVIDIA comes up with something at least as revolutionary as G80, otherwise I'm afraid the current situation won't change much. Some folks described the G80 after its launch as some sort of amalgalm between some Pentium4 and 3DLabs Wildcat ideas. The challenge now would be to figure out what kind of ingredients based on a few already available revolutionary ideas existing in today's technology could be mixed to increase by a healthy margin a future architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we can expect a few new highend cards of the GT200 generation (GT200b, GT206, GT212, etc) before we get a truly next-gen Nvidia card of the DX11/Direct3D11, Shader Model 5 generation, which I will still call 'NV60' to avoid confusion. The G80 being 'NV50' and GT200 being 'NV55' and anything like GT200b or GT2xx with more shaders, smaller process could still be concidered 'NV5x' IMO.

It looks like:

GT200@65nm
GT206@55nm
GT21x@40nm

and yes GT3xx or whatever else the real codename might be will be their D3D11 generation, which should be projected for late 2009.

late 2k9? don't you read the internews? vista is comming q3 2k9, and dx11 summer next year, so gt300 is comming in late q2 2k9. thats easy, like i told you!

geez, dudes, keep up with the time,,,or what evar....

honestly: i myself think as long as all we got is this stupid console sheit fame; who the f* needs graphics computational power?

carmack, see u in the space...

I think he is saying that windows 7 is coming out late 2009 and nvidia will launch their direct x 11 part then with dx 11 releaseing months later in 2010. This way nvidia will get sales from both releases and will have a base of hardware for dx11

I think he is saying that windows 7 is coming out late 2009 and nvidia will launch their direct x 11 part then with dx 11 releaseing months later in 2010. This way nvidia will get sales from both releases and will have a base of hardware for dx11

Actually I think he may be saying "please ignore me" hard to tell for sure though.

Though Win7 isn't really scheduled to come before early 2010, and DX11 should come simultaneously with it

Did I say otherwise? I used terms like "should" and "projected" because nothing is ever set in stone in this market for longer time periods; the actual deal is always "if all things go according to plans".

But as noted above the "please ignore me" approach sounds like the most appropriate for that case.

It's beta 1, my memory isn't the best, but IIRC different beta versions of Vista had different expiration dates aswell?

So we can expect a few new highend cards of the GT200 generation (GT200b, GT206, GT212, etc) before we get a truly next-gen Nvidia card of the DX11/Direct3D11, Shader Model 5 generation, which I will still call 'NV60' to avoid confusion. The G80 being 'NV50' and GT200 being 'NV55' and anything like GT200b or GT2xx with more shaders, smaller process could still be concidered 'NV5x' IMO.

Was an explanation ever given why Nvidia changed their NVxx naming scheme?

Was an explanation ever given why Nvidia changed their NVxx naming scheme?

I figure with the supposed changes past NV40 they wanted to emphasize on those and they went "gee 70". Later on some brits must have influenced whatever process and the awe feeling turned somewhat into a disappointment and went "gee (not) tea (again)"....*snicker*

Officially, to match codenames to product names (G70 -> GF79x0-series, G80 -> GF8800). But alas...

Back