The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Seriously, Wacom had tablet games for a few years, and have a whole section of tablet apps for their latest Bamboo range, on a platform everyone has (PC), offering generally better computer input than a mouse in plenty of cases making it much better value than the chunky Wii tablet. Every sale of uDraw is a lost sale for Wacom.

Actually... scratch that. Since Sony uses standard WiFi, USB and Bluetooth interfaces, add an abstract pen input API to the Move SDK. Let the users choose whether they want to use Move, a real tablet or even iPad.

That makes more sense, seeing as Wacom tablet are supported as input devices. But how do you design for it as an optional interface?

Edit: Or are you thinking of a control mapping system, where any Move game could have inputs routed through the device, so Move X,Y,Z becomes graphics tablet's x,y pos and pressure?

I went to gamestop today, they had four Move bundles, no single move controllers and 6 navigation controllers. They also had four kinects. I also heard some people talking about Kinect.

(I live in Sweden.)

We knew it wasn't hacked from day 1. That was poor reporting by the media (who'd'a thunk it...). It was just an open driver, same as EyeToy and ASIO4ALL other device drivers.

Always found it amusing that people were running around saying that Kinect was hacked when that was the farthest thing from the truth. :D

Microsoft created the perception themselves because they didn't like the idea at first:
http://www.techeye.net/software/microsoft-furious-at-2000-bounty-for-open-source-kinect-drivers

Not sure what safeguards the home-brew folks had to tear down, but MS tried to block them from creating open source drivers:

“Microsoft does not condone the modification of its products,” a Microsoft spokesperson told CNET. “With Kinect, Microsoft built in numerous hardware and software safeguards designed to reduce the chances of product tampering. Microsoft will continue to make advances in these types of safeguards and work closely with law enforcement and product safety groups to keep Kinect tamper-resistant.”

That sounds like a bit of miscommunication or creative reporting as MS were clearly focused on preventing modification to Kinect itself or the Kinect to X360 interface. Even the quote by the MS spokeperson was quite clear about modifications to Kinect (one of it's products). As well to "keep it tamper resistent."

Absolutely nothing regarding the use of the data streamed from the Kinect device. So as long as the Kinect hardware isn't modified and the internal Kinect runtimes (on the device) aren't modified, they are just peachy keen.

In other words, not MS that created the perception, but apparently creative use of quotes by certain media outlets and perhaps intentional misinterpretation to increase page views as well as notoriety for Adafruit by making a mountain out of a molehill.

Or just pure miscommunication. For example, if a news outlet asked MS about it's stance towards someone "hacking" Kinect, they may have assumed some sort of modification to Kinect or internal tampering, hence the reply.

Regards,
SB

If they had to circumvent MS safeguard(s) to install the drivers, it's one form of hacking. In this case, the outcome is not serious because the home-brew folks simply claim the device for their own use without any implication of piracy.

According to the people involved, they met up with MS to talk about open source driver installation but were rejected. MS spokesperson further reinforced the idea after the successful implementation and installation of driver. So the media didn't make this up. It's up to how individuals interpret the outcome. It's not a bad outcome at all.

But, AFAIK, they didn't have to navigate a safeguard. It's just the data structures they had to reverse engineer. Everything is happening at the client end of the device, leaving the device untampered. Unless they had to find some commincations protocols to get Kinect talking or something, in which case I suppose that is a hack (of the weakest sort!).

If Microsoft indeed makes a fair amount of bucks from selling the camera (as was suggested, that the build cost is $150), then they can hardly lose with this for now - Kinect sales will be boosted significantly by people just buying one for their PC and the additional attention its technology gets through promising implementations, and so Microsoft makes their target sales numbers even more easily and get nice input from the development about their product in the process.

...Kinect sales will be boosted significantly by people just buying one for their PC.....

I seriously doubt there's going to be "significant" PC sales. Maybe, at the most, a few thousand who are happy enough to geek around with it.

I seriously doubt there's going to be "significant" PC sales. Maybe, at the most, a few thousand who are happy enough to geek around with it.

Yes, I think there are going to be significant PC sales. If only because there are millions of Geeks with PCs.

Back