The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Although as bkilian mentioned, it may have been smarter to just keep mum about that and then spring a surprise on investors and stock holders alike.

Not sure about this, surely you want to give investers positive projection changes asap? Id imagine the interest accumulated on extra investment is enough to encourage attracting that investment sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about this, surely you want to give investers positive projection changes asap? Id imagine the interest accumulated on extra investment is enough to encourage attracting that investment sooner rather than later.
Seriously? You know our stock has gone nowhere in ten years right? No, I'm not worried about "extra investment". I'm worried about lost investment. Making your inflated number won't do anything for the stock, missing your inflated number is practically guaranteed to drop the stock price. Heck, even modestly exceeding the number will probably drop the stock price.

Heck, even modestly exceeding the number will probably drop the stock price.

MS need to stop paying dividends. Then the only way for "investors" (I use the term loosely) to make money off the shares is to continually push the share price up, irrespective of the actual net worth, assets, growth and profitability of the company.

SCEE seems to be pushing Singstar Dance pretty much, here in Norway.. :-/
4 Singstar Dance (PS3), 1 Kinect (360), 2 CoD:BO (360), and 1 Sonic (DS), where what I noticed during comercial breaks on recorded tvshows last week.

Do anyone know if the free Singstar app on PSN Store is updated to include the people dancing to Singstar Dance now? :)

I think it's a viewer. Should be able to show singers and dancers without update.

Now that they launched SingStar.com, you can see them with a browser too.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3161...y_Short_Supply_WiiLike_Launch_Environment.php

New motion control devices from Sony and Microsoft are flying off the shelves, says GameStop -- and the retailer says it's an environment that reminds it a lot of the Wii's game-changing launch.

GameStop president Tony Bartel says customers should expect supply constraints over the holiday, and that Kinect in particular is helping drive console growth for the Xbox 360. Last month, Xbox 360 was the only console platform to see year-on-year growth, and Bartel expects that trend to continue thanks to Kinect.

"We definitely do see a new customer coming into our stores," he told analysts on the company's financial results call to investors. "And it is selling hardware as well."

Kinect's software attach rate thus far looks "very high" too, says Bartel. "Kinect Sports and Dance Central -- they're definitely the expanded-audience type games, and those are attaching extremely well."

The company says it's "excited" to see the environment around both platform-holders' motion controls heading into the holiday season. "Not only are we excited with Kinect and Move in very short supply, but we also like the fact that they are bringing in an expanded audience," adds Bartel.

patsu said:
I think it's a viewer. Should be able to show singers and dancers without update.

Now that they launched SingStar.com, you can see them with a browser too.

Correct - I found some dancing on EU launch day already. :)

EA Sports Active 2 seems to have good review:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/ea-sports-active-2-review/

The game also comes fully loaded with a variety of fitness tools to help track and reach your goals, including a workout calendar, a nutrition guide and even the ability to go online and form fitness groups with other Actives. It also supports two players, so you can work out simultaneously with a friend or challenge them to a "run-in-place-off," for you competitive types.

There's only one thing really missing which would have put this exer-game over the top: A yoga routine. EA Sports Active 2 is great for cardio and strengthening exercises, but a workout just for relaxation would have been a welcome addition and really have completed the package.

Retailing for $100, EA Sports Active 2 is going to cost you a pretty penny, but if you're serious about fitness gaming it's worth spending the extra dough. The hands-free motion control with heart monitor alone is worth the price of admission. But fortunately there's more to this game than just a gimmick – it's a solid effort all-around and a surprisingly fun way to get fit.

so is this the best place to ask about comparisons of the 2 sports titles (kinect sports and sports champions) - I'm hopeful someone who enjoys(ed) SC can enlighten me to the differences - pros and cons of each (if that's OK to ask?)

They're very different games, so I'm not sure you can really compare them. They are serving two different experiences. May as well just read all the reviews of each. ie. Eurogramers hands on with SC and KS will give you their impressions of them both and describe the games so you can imagine the one you haven't played.

What I don't get is why the X360 version is the same price as the PS3 version. 1 armband sensor for X360 versus 2 arm sensors and one thigh sensor for PS3.

As well, why only 52 exercises on X30 while the PS3 has 68 available? Again making me think WTF is the X360 and PS3 versions the same price?

Seeing that, thanks EA for making my choice between EA Sports Active 2.0 and The Biggest Loser workout much easier. Looks like I'll be waiting on Sports Active until it drops in price.

Regards,
SB

What I don't get is why the X360 version is the same price as the PS3 version. 1 armband sensor for X360 versus 2 arm sensors and one thigh sensor for PS3.

As well, why only 52 exercises on X30 while the PS3 has 68 available? Again making me think WTF is the X360 and PS3 versions the same price?

Seeing that, thanks EA for making my choice between EA Sports Active 2.0 and The Biggest Loser workout much easier. Looks like I'll be waiting on Sports Active until it drops in price.

Regards,
SB

Odd that the EA website claim 70 Exercises and Activities for the X360/PS3, but 70+ for the Wii.
http://www.easportsactive.com/fitness-games/ea-sports-active-2/xbox-360/features

Hmmm, I wonder if that Joystick review is incorrect? Or perhaps exercises on X360 need to be unlocked? Or coming in a free DLC? But even with that it's unfortunate that EA is so greedy that they'd rather rake in cash off the X360 users than discount it due to less hardware and sell more copies instead.

Perhaps they're getting cash from Sony to keep price parity. :p Would make a bit of sense, it seems all the latest EA ads (MoH for example) on TV mention PS3.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm, I wonder if that Joystick review is incorrect? Or perhaps exercises on X360 need to be unlocked? Or coming in a free DLC? But even with that it's unfortunate that EA is so greedy that they'd rather rake in cash off the X360 users than discount it due to less hardware and sell more copies instead.
I imagine given the market, potential buyers aren't going to be put off by a price difference on a platform they don't own. Typicall buyers won't know the differences and won't care, and will just buy or not on whether the product is right for them. It's no more greedy of EA than all business is, wanting to maximise profits. Compare $4 download titles on console to their 69 cent iOS versions for serious platform markup!

I mean, I agree with your sentiments 100%! The world just doesn't work that way.

I was wondering this myself...maybe it's because they had to write the program from the ground up for X360 whereas Wii/PS3 have the same/similar tech?

Regards,
SB

All 360 games comes with deactivated online for the same price as the full game wich come on PS3, so this is nothing new. :-/
But in this case perhaps they tought the PS3-users can eat more in general, since they can afford a PS3, instead of settling for a 360.. And thus they must train more, or perhaps they had to slim down the 360-version to fit to a DVD.. :-/
The armbands stuff is because of Kinect. :)

I imagine given the market, potential buyers aren't going to be put off by a price difference on a platform they don't own. Typicall buyers won't know the differences and won't care, and will just buy or not on whether the product is right for them. It's no more greedy of EA than all business is, wanting to maximise profits. Compare $4 download titles on console to their 69 cent iOS versions for serious platform markup!

I mean, I agree with your sentiments 100%! The world just doesn't work that way.

Aye, I can understand the the market forces at work here. But I'd imagine the title at 75-85 USD would sell more than at 100 USD. That's assuming the 40-50 USD price premium compared to other exercise titles is due to the included hardware.

Ah well, thanks to EA, I went ahead and ordered the Biggest Loser workout program. I was originally going to get Sports Active 2.0 first (even at 100 USD), but due to this, as well as the discrepency in number of exercises, I went the other direction.

Your Shape and Biggest Loser should hold me quite well until Sports Active 2.0 is heavily discounted.

Regards,
SB

Aye, I can understand the the market forces at work here. But I'd imagine the title at 75-85 USD would sell more than at 100 USD.
Quite possibly, but also consider the flip side, how will buyers feel if they see their version of the program is $25 more than the same program on the other console? I imagine the appeal on Kinect due to the whole healthy lifestyle marketing is much larger than on PS3 though, and EA would gain more profit overall by selling 360's version cheaper as you say.

Regards,
SB

I know that the 360 version has some exercises that use full body tracking. These are bits that cannot be reused on the other platform, but on the other hand of course are pretty cool. The cost to develop them may outweigh the cost of the hardware (which I imagine costs barely a thing anyway).

Holy crap... Let the combo bundling and price gouging commence.

Just noticed that Kinect on Newegg is now only available as a combo purchase. They only do that when they expect demand to far outstrip supply for the forseeable future.

So I went and checked Amazon for shits and giggles. And the Kinect Sensor is selling for 195+ USD new and used. Kinect 250 GB bundle is going for 485+ USD new. Amazon itself is out so those represent various individuals and e-tailers that sell through Amazon.

It's certainly starting to remind me of the buildup to the Holiday Wii frenzy when it launched. I suspect, Kinect is going to be one of the hardest to find products this holiday season.

Regards,
SB

Back