The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

The game sales for each peripheral *will* be interesting for sure. With Wii, a bunch of system sales for better or worse were simply as a gateway to play Wii Sports, which of course came bundled. Wii Play, the Wii board, MotionPlus... in the casual market, each accessory more or less came with the one game that would represent its use. It will be interesting to see whether once bought, Move and Kinect drive related game sales in appreciable amounts, or whether sales will generally revolve around 2 or 3 core associated titles.

http://twitter.com/aarongreenberg

LOL'ing at sales reports from VGChartz, why do people release info as official when there is no source or science behind the #s?

btw, I just went on Vgcrapshoot. Christ, how do people bring themselves to go there? It slow and littered with ads all over. There's so much shit flashing all over the page, I though it was some spastic teens myspace page.

in my area kinect stand alones are impossible to find along with the 250 gig bundles. The 4gig bundles are still around though .

We are loving my kinect , we've now officaly played it more than we have played the wii and i've had that since launch day. To be sure part of it is that there is no controller. My mother for example can't even use the tivo remote to fast foward and pause.

Ha ha, I can't use the Tivo remote too. It's too complicated.

If you look at today's casual games. They are dominated by phones and PC Flash games. The latter use keyboard (108 buttons !) and mouse, but my wife and kid game on it all day long sometimes. I just realized this watching my kid play Tetris. He has no trouble with pure keyboard controls.

EDIT: .. and then I see studies like this:
http://gizmodo.com/5687001/playing-...the-effects-of-post+traumatic-stress-disorder :)

Ha ha, I can't use the Tivo remote too. It's too complicated.

haha nice. But i'm dead serious she is like how do i fast foward... how do I pause. I told her that you guys had one of the first models of vcrs avalible in the states back in the day. Nothing has changed. She looked at me confused. It got good laughs from the fam. Almost as good as when she asked me how I could type in a phone number that was a 1800 with a word attached because how do i know what numbers it was. I said to her.... its 1-9 with letters in alphabetical order. Nothings changed in decades.

But the no remote thing has helped her.

Also to those pushing the fact that sony should have made a bigger play for eyetoy back in the day. The thing never worked well at all and really required proper lighting. I had one and it was a thousand times harder to use compared to the kinect. I think like other items before it (power glove , power pad , activator , u force and so on) it was just to early with the tech at the time.

haha nice. But i'm dead serious she is like how do i fast foward... how do I pause. I told her that you guys had one of the first models of vcrs avalible in the states back in the day. Nothing has changed. She looked at me confused. It got good laughs from the fam. Almost as good as when she asked me how I could type in a phone number that was a 1800 with a word attached because how do i know what numbers it was. I said to her.... its 1-9 with letters in alphabetical order. Nothings changed in decades.

I doubt she can make it far on Kinect too without your help. I was confused in the track & field game myself because I couldn't figure out how to quit.

But the no remote thing has helped her.

VCR remote has one of the most cumbersome UI. The buttons look innocent. The modal UI, cryptic labels and display are the problem. I remember I had to learn how to set the time on a VCR, and it was painful.

Also to those pushing the fact that sony should have made a bigger play for eyetoy back in the day. The thing never worked well at all and really required proper lighting. I had one and it was a thousand times harder to use compared to the kinect. I think like other items before it (power glove , power pad , activator , u force and so on) it was just to early with the tech at the time.

If Sony continue to release PSEye/EyeToy products, they would work with the depth camera vendors also. We have all seen videos of Dr. Marks working with the same tech. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. They were making tons of money on PS2 too. I do hope to see the old EyeToy games on PS3.

I doubt she can make it far on Kinect too without your help. I was confused in the track & field game myself because I couldn't figure out how to quit.

I was slightly confused by that at first because I didn't bother watching the start of Kinect Adventures when I started it up. Experienced gamer that I was I just ignored the whole intro and start which explained how to bring up the menu to check friends, messages, get out of the game etc.

Luckily I had caught a glimpse of it although I didn't now what it meant at the time. And after a short time connected that glimps with what was needed. It's actually pretty ingenious.

The other thing I've noticed recently is that when I was watching video's I thought the hold to select was going to be incredibly cumbersome, but for some reason watching it makes it much slower than actually doing it. When using Kinect I sometimes feel like the hold to select circle is going way too fast. But either way it's not nearly as cumbersome as I thought it would be. Although I still wish you could just say BING or something to trigger a select/button press.

Regards,
SB

She picked it up easily. Just hold out the left hand to the bottom left and it will go back

VCR remote has one of the most cumbersome UI. The buttons look innocent. The modal UI, cryptic labels and display are the problem. I remember I had to learn how to set the time on a VCR, and it was painful.
speaking just of play /foward/reverse /pause

If Sony continue to release PSEye/EyeToy products, they would work with the depth camera vendors also. We have all seen videos of Dr. Marks working with the same tech. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. They were making tons of money on PS2 too. I do hope to see the old EyeToy games on PS3.
I dunno the eyetoy at the start of this generation was pretty bad. I used to have to put a lamp over it so i could play eye of judgement.

She picked it up easily. Just hold out the left hand to the bottom left and it will go back

speaking just of play /foward/reverse /pause

Yes, you were there to guide her. How would she figure out a virtual button on her own, if she couldn't press a single, physical button; something she had done before ? ^_^

I dunno the eyetoy at the start of this generation was pretty bad. I used to have to put a lamp over it so i could play eye of judgement.

Ah, but you did play it right ? If they are committed to the concept, it means they will improve their solution (depth camera or otherwise). Eye of Judgment is not the only PSEye game. The original EyeToy Kinetics games were popular too, more popular in fact. A depth camera may not help Eye of Judgment since it's a 2D image recognition app.

Just saw a TV ad for PS3 that was aiming it as a family experience, listing Move and BRD movies. At least they're trying a little bit. ;)

Yes, you were there to guide her. How would she figure out a virtual button on her own, if she couldn't press a single, physical button; something she had done before ? ^_^

Ah, but you did play it right ? If they are committed to the concept, it means they will improve their solution (depth camera or otherwise). Eye of Judgment is not the only PSEye game. The original EyeToy Kinetics games were popular too, more popular in fact. A depth camera may not help Eye of Judgment since it's a 2D image recognition app.
Actually, I had a number of people from all ages (From early 20s to 60s) and none of them had any trouble understanding the concept of virtual buttons, even the ones who had never used a video game before.

What's the reason for waving over the button like EyeToy and not virtually pushing the button by measuring Z position? Is this an improvement we may see later?

What's the reason for waving over the button like EyeToy and not virtually pushing the button by measuring Z position? Is this an improvement we may see later?
The team tried many different button mechanics by using user research. The current system you see is the one that performed the best across all user groups. We had problems with the "push" concept because different users treat push differently; some push straight towards the screen, some push in the direction their arm is pointed, and others do a combination, or neither of these. The travel distance is different for users, and children behave very erratically. Getting an algorithm that worked for all cases was not simple. However, everyone treated hover in the same way.

I'm sure as teams continue innovating and experimenting with user input scenarios, we'll start trending towards a set of interactions that work best. I'm most impressed with the Dance Central and Your Shape interfaces (which are subtly related, they don't use the concept of screen position, instead they use the concept of arm position)

At the moment we're still translating 2D menu paradigms into this new 3d capture system. The best solution may be to throw away the concept of "buttons on a plane" and go with something completely different. It's early days yet.

Some day I hope there's an open discussion on these techs with you guys and Richard Marks et al all contributing, in the same way best practice in general game design is shared.

Actually, I had a number of people from all ages (From early 20s to 60s) and none of them had any trouble understanding the concept of virtual buttons, even the ones who had never used a video game before.

How many of those same people had trouble understanding the concept of physical buttons though, which i think is what patsu was getting at ;)

I think kinect is actually too forgiving. Sure, navigation is fairly intuitive, but it always seems to be klunky. Dance Central is nice, but then that is limited to navigating through lists, one list for each arm. But it is snappy. Of course this is all that has been needed. So far.

This is where they need to release drivers for the PC. Have a UI contest. I bet you would see quite a few excellent implementations quite quickly. I think the workspace on a plane parallel to the person is a good idea ala Minority Report. But there needs to be better feedback. Why not have the surface ripple when you touch it? Tint the ripples by how far you have passed through the plane, etc. Push far enough in and the plane locks to your hand and moves with it. Could be easily used for zooming effects too.

Though I am sure you have probably played around with a lot of these ideas, but nearly every single one of the games I have for kinect uses a different navigation system. So it doesn't seem to have been too well fleshed out. I think this is one area that will quickly converge to one or two 'best' implementations.

I love the tech though. As an engineer that works daily with industrial sensors I am always amazed how cheap these sensors are for what they do.

Taa-daa !

Multi-touch interface prototype using Kinect:

EDIT: Apparently, the TISCH library supports Wii also.

Kinect Can Provide Data On How Families Use Content:
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3150..._Provide_Data_On_How_Families_Use_Content.php

Xbox Live Gold members spend 40 percent of their time on non-gaming applications on the console, like Netflix or Zune music and video, says Dennis Durkin of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business. And now the launch of Kinect provides new opportunities for the company to tailor content to individual users.

"I think what we've found is the core gamer may have been the person who brought the box into the house, but as you add new experiences and broader content choices for other members of the house, they come and use the system," Durkin said at the BMO Capital Markets conference.

"We can track some of that usage as it relates to broader family members in the house," he says. Of course, in houses where many family members are sharing the Xbox 360, it's been hard even with analytics to know who's using what.

"Kinect actually brings an interesting opportunity as it relates to that," notes Durkin. "Obviously with Kinect, it has facial recognition, voice recognition... we can cater what content gets presented to you based on who you are."

That gives the system the opportunity to adapt the content it suggests depending on who it sees in front of it: "Your wife in the future might get a different set of content choices than you, because we have a smart device that knows her preferences are different than yours," Durkin suggests.

Back