The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

You should set up some kind of transparent easel. Ball deformation might be a problem perhaps, and reflections from the light.

After trying Beat Sketcher, I suspect the Move controller may be more intuitive to use, especially if Sony allow us to draw on a table surface.

Didn't you watch the Marx tech presentations that did 3D modelling with Move or have you just forgotten? Because that did look miles better than this, and I would still love to have it and/or see it in games. Would be awesome for something like LBP objects of the kind that are currently only provided by the creators of the game (the fruit and such).

I'd be up from a full on visual arts package. Painting, drawing, sculpting and clay modelling, all trying to recreate the real life act of each with virtual brushes, pens, pencils, spray cans, chisel and hammer and scaples. Each tool is represented in 3D space like the move controller is in tumble. Add on some of the advantages of computer art programs and you'd have a very nice application that couldn't be done on any other system. Finally allow games to use the results of this program if they like.

Didn't you watch the Marx tech presentations that did 3D modelling with Move or have you just forgotten? Because that did look miles better than this, and I would still love to have it and/or see it in games. Would be awesome for something like LBP objects of the kind that are currently only provided by the creators of the game (the fruit and such).

His tech demoes are random scribble/modelling. I did real art(™). :devilish: Had to draw perfectly straight lines, perfect circles in 3D space, so on and so forth.

I'd be up from a full on visual arts package. Painting, drawing, sculpting and clay modelling, all trying to recreate the real life act of each with virtual brushes, pens, pencils, spray cans, chisel and hammer and scaples. Each tool is represented in 3D space like the move controller is in tumble. Add on some of the advantages of computer art programs and you'd have a very nice application that couldn't be done on any other system. Finally allow games to use the results of this program if they like.

It doesn't even need to be a full-on 3D sculpturing tool. Use it for non-text input and 2D input first. Because we are facing a TV, I reckon many things can be accomplished with just 2D.

It doesn't even need to be a full-on 3D sculpturing tool. Use it for non-text input and 2D input first. Because we are facing a TV, I reckon many things can be accomplished with just 2D.

Seeing the shadow of your brush get closer to the tip of it and the bristles bend as they make contact is the kind of details that can set this experience apart. Forget the paperless office I want to canvasless, paintless art studio. Physics based paint that dries, and that the user can make dry quicker, being able to zoom and make small details as if they were big; these are the things that could make creating art more than it has been before. Treating art as sports have been treated with motion control.

I'd also like a music package where i could hum or sing stuff and then translate the pitches into different instruments.

In 3D space ? Yes, some sort of distance gauge would be useful.

I'd also like a music package where i could hum or sing stuff and then translate the pitches into different instruments.

Beat Sketcher combines music and painting. Transforming music into art sounds interesting but may be too abstract for laypeople. In fact, when I was painting, I muted Beat Sketcher because it was too distracting.

Humming/singing/whistling to score a music, and arrange it with instruments is indeed interesting. Useful for song search too. Should add it to their GraceNote database.

The strange thing is Sony seems to be distracted by something behind the scene again. Don't know what's up. :)

Seeing the shadow of your brush get closer to the tip of it and the bristles bend as they make contact is the kind of details that can set this experience apart. Forget the paperless office I want to canvasless, paintless art studio. Physics based paint that dries, and that the user can make dry quicker, being able to zoom and make small details as if they were big; these are the things that could make creating art more than it has been before.
Digital art on PC has that sort of thing. Move can't bring anything new to the 2D art-creation space AFAICS compared to a WACOM tablet.

That tech was shown many years ago in the UK on a famous TV programme called tomorrow's World shat whowed us future tech, almost all of which came to nothing! Someone developed a synth where the input was a microphone and you'd hum pitch. We've now got tech available on PC - I used it yesterday in a song finding website where you hum the tune and it matches it to those in its database. So that your program hasn't been made isn't a fault of the tech, but no-one writing it. Although looking up current solutions, it sounds like they aren't very accurate, but that may be for more complex situations than single person data input.

I'm thinking of creating an LBP2 animation, and you can see where some techs are really wanted. Voice input would be good for Joe Public to use the music sequencer. Drawing objects would be a real boon, and as Arwin suggests, if you can get users to create content with a sophisticated modeller (ZBrush PS3!), the scope of LBP could be expanded considerably. Although let's start with getting decent image import! Also LBP2 really wants Kinect for capturing actions. You need some awesome digital puppetry thumbs to handle complex expressions on a SackBot actor. Kinect would make capturing animation data a breeze and allow more varied movements and finer detail.

there are a lot more people who reviewed Kinect, which means that Kinect is winning in the U.S. for now.

I don't doubt that Kinect will win in the US, there's double the market and (in general) US Xbox owners seem very open to anything MS throw at them! I expect similar things in the UK (where the XBox is also the most popular between PS3 and X360 (altho having said that by all accounts Move has done well in the UK so far) - however, everywhere else I expect the reverse.

I don't doubt that Kinect will win in the US, there's double the market and (in general) US Xbox owners seem very open to anything MS throw at them! I expect similar things in the UK (where the XBox is also the most popular between PS3 and X360 (altho having said that by all accounts Move has done well in the UK so far) - however, everywhere else I expect the reverse.

Maybe it could be that Kinect is actually a compelling product.
From my point of view, I was very skeptical of Kinect (still am), but I do not deny that it has a struck a cord with my wife and other non-gamers. Prior to Kinect, she only played puzzle games and Zuma. She doesn't really play console games sans Zelda.

From what I've seen around the net, even the regular gamers (not sure if they're hardcore) are getting into Kinect.

Digital art on PC has that sort of thing. Move can't bring anything new to the 2D art-creation space AFAICS compared to a WACOM tablet.

That tech was shown many years ago in the UK on a famous TV programme called tomorrow's World shat whowed us future tech, almost all of which came to nothing! Someone developed a synth where the input was a microphone and you'd hum pitch. We've now got tech available on PC - I used it yesterday in a song finding website where you hum the tune and it matches it to those in its database. So that your program hasn't been made isn't a fault of the tech, but no-one writing it. Although looking up current solutions, it sounds like they aren't very accurate, but that may be for more complex situations than single person data input.

I'm thinking of creating an LBP2 animation, and you can see where some techs are really wanted. Voice input would be good for Joe Public to use the music sequencer. Drawing objects would be a real boon, and as Arwin suggests, if you can get users to create content with a sophisticated modeller (ZBrush PS3!), the scope of LBP could be expanded considerably. Although let's start with getting decent image import! Also LBP2 really wants Kinect for capturing actions. You need some awesome digital puppetry thumbs to handle complex expressions on a SackBot actor. Kinect would make capturing animation data a breeze and allow more varied movements and finer detail.

They don't have to address complex use cases yet. It is more impactful to fulfill simple, daily needs.

Song recognition has been done before with a gadget you hold on to the audio source. I have never tried to see if it's accurate. Some simply use the radio station programming schedule to identify the song. Pandora and PSP's song analysis help users to find songs with similar mood, style. They can all be bundled into a juke box on PS3. Sony owns GraceNote. They should be able to populate the servers with pre-processed info to help analysis. In these apps, the users have no other better input mechanism, so the improvement should be appreciated, or at least help to narrow the scope.

As for 2D drawing, while it has been done on tablets, I think it's under-utilized now. It should be possible for laypeople to sketch their input. Don't address the professional needs. There are more suitable and specialized tools in the market already.

They can have pre-drawn and pre-recognized objects for users to compose the picture.

Maybe they stopped supporting EyeToy because it got old pretty fast.
At first the experience felt magical, but not long after, the sensation of seeing yourself on the telly doing some simple interactive tasks was just plain boring.
I guess the developers came short of ideas for new ways to utilise the cam too, so all the games were basically the same gameplay ideas recirculated with different graphics. Hit items, lean to steer, wave... etc. the ways to interact really were too limited for varied gamelplay.

I have to agree with Shifty though in sentiment - I have always felt that Sony dropped a ball in terms of EyeToy and its marketing/positioning. Now in the year 2010 it may seem easy enough to write off the whole casual scene as the 'hardcore' is re-ascendant, but the lukewarm manner in which Sony pushed and positioned the device, at least in the US, IMO led directly to Nintendo's being able to claim the mantle of King of Casual... not only that, but to take the credit (and profit) from being considered the company that opened gaming up to family in lieu of board games, and in places as varied as retirement homes for the purpose of play and exercise.

The EyeToy was sort of constricted to casual, and the games were repetitious along some lines, but it was no less the non-gamer "impresser" that Wii was IMO... only difference being no public awareness here and no support. That's on Sony's shoulders.

I feel the market opportunity back in 2005 w/EyeToy will always have been greater in both an absolute and corporate positioning basis than anything Move could possibly hope to achieve in the modern era, and I remain tepid about its overall chances/appeal. Kinect I feel has more promise simply because it does have that novelty factor going for it - a factor which I do also attribute in part to Sony not developing and pushing tech in a field in which it was active long before.

I have to agree with Shifty though in sentiment - I have always felt that Sony dropped a ball in terms of EyeToy and its marketing/positioning. Now in the year 2010 it may seem easy enough to write off the whole casual scene as the 'hardcore' is re-ascendant, but the lukewarm manner in which Sony pushed and positioned the device, at least in the US, IMO led directly to Nintendo's being able to claim the mantle of King of Casual... not only that, but to take the credit (and profit) from being considered the company that opened gaming up to family in lieu of board games, and in places as varied as retirement homes for the purpose of play and exercise.

The EyeToy was sort of constricted to casual, and the games were repetitious along some lines, but it was no less the non-gamer "impresser" that Wii was IMO... only difference being no public awareness here and no support. That's on Sony's shoulders.

I feel the market opportunity back in 2005 w/EyeToy will always have been greater in both an absolute and corporate positioning basis than anything Move could possibly hope to achieve in the modern era, and I remain tepid about its overall chances/appeal. Kinect I feel has more promise simply because it does have that novelty factor going for it - a factor which I do also attribute in part to Sony not developing and pushing tech in a field in which it was active long before.

I agree ! But I am more curious to see if Kaz Hirai, Peter Dille, Dr. Marks, Shuhei, Jack Tretton, etc. agree or not. It's the first step. :D

My local supermarket had about 5 Kinects on shelves, and about the same amount on xb360 + Kinext bundles. Another, a specialiced electronics store, was just building Kinect and Move displays. I wasn't able to spot any standalone Kinects, but there was a big pile of bundles. I heard someone ask about Kinect units, and the sales person said they have some but they're reserved for pre-orders.
Didn't see anyone buying Kinects yet, though.
That was the first dedicated Move display I've seen, it wasn't functional yet but it looked like it was a demo station as it had a display and a PS3 and shelves for Move controllers and games.
I'm not sure if the Kinect display they were building was also to be a demo station, if so, they'll be right next to each other.

Heard a mention that stores are running out of stock for standalone Kinects?

Also, vgchartz again? To discuss the very Nostradamian prediction that Kinect would outsell Move? This is playing out exactly as I said it would; Kinect will outsell Move but the numbers will be close enough to be extremely uninteresting. At the same time, the conversation will shift entirely to Move vs. Kinect, so we can all continue to pretend that the Wii doesn't exist in this market. At least before people could argue that the Wii and the other systems weren't competing for the same audience.

Heard a mention that stores are running out of stock for standalone Kinects?

Also, vgchartz again? To discuss the very Nostradamian prediction that Kinect would outsell Move? This is playing out exactly as I said it would; Kinect will outsell Move but the numbers will be close enough to be extremely uninteresting. At the same time, the conversation will shift entirely to Move vs. Kinect, so we can all continue to pretend that the Wii doesn't exist in this market. At least before people could argue that the Wii and the other systems weren't competing for the same audience.

Actually I'm quite interested to see how Move specific game sales and Kinect specific game sales compare to Wii overtime. It'll be a while before either peripheral has enough units installed to make install base a minor factor so Wii games should do comparably better. But it'll be interesting to see none-the-less. I do think that over time Kinect 3rd party games will do comparably better than 3rd party Wii games. But I doubt Kinect games will be able to approach some of Wii's 1st party games.

Right now I have absolutely no idea how well a casual Move title would do in comparison to either Kinect or Wii. If I were forced to guess, however, I'd say not as well, if for no other reason than lack of targetted advertising. Kevin Butler (that's the PS3 commercial guy right?) was cool at first, but he's really starting to grate on my nerves when I see him on commercials. And I'm not the only one I know that feels that way. Sony needs to find a better way to advertise, IMO. Especially to push Move to the masses/casuals.

The other thing that's been surprising me so far is how well the stand alone Kinect is selling. But I'm not sure if that's because demand for it is so much higher than I was expecting, or if it's just due to a smaller supply of stand alone units versus bundled units.

Regards,
SB

Back