The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Okay so whats the deal with space issues on the move. It seems that on various forums the kinect gets laughed at for needing 6-8 feet for 1/2 players. However i need to be around 5 feet away from my wii if I'm actually playing something like wii sports tennis (instead of sitting on the couch and flicking my wrists ) and it seems the same playing kinect adventures in the same space.

What is it like with the move ?

As it should be... depends on the game.

EyePet needs the camera pointing downwards.

I played John Daly ProStroke Golf standing about 4 feet away.

I played Tumble about 3 feet away (in front of my coffee table, too lazy to move it)

I played Sports Champions 6-8 feet away. Bocce and Gladiator can be played closer, about 5-6 feet.

I played MAG and RUSE (demo) 2 - 3 feet away.

EDIT: And yes, I played Start the Party like 2-3 feet away too because the kids crowd around the TV.

As it should be... depends on the game.

EyePet needs the camera pointing downwards.

I played John Daly ProStroke Golf standing about 4 feet away.

I played Tumble about 3 feet away (in front of my coffee table, too lazy to move it)

I played Sports Champions 6-8 feet away.

I played MAG and RUSE (demo) 2 - 3 feet away.

EDIT: And yes, I played Start the Party like 2-3 feet away too because the kids crowd around the TV.

Okay , i can get about 4 to the kinect before it complains. So all the devices seem the same.

I have a move controller coming for $25 bucks so I might try it out in my bedroom

It also depends on your seating arrangement. My office PS3 is on the desk. I play there as if it's a PC (Sitting 2-3 feet away, except for Sports Champions).

My home PS3 is in the living room, so I get to run around more.

Okay so whats the deal with space issues on the move. It seems that on various forums the kinect gets laughed at for needing 6-8 feet for 1/2 players. However i need to be around 5 feet away from my wii if I'm actually playing something like wii sports tennis (instead of sitting on the couch and flicking my wrists ) and it seems the same playing kinect adventures in the same space.

What is it like with the move ?
I play about 1.5 - 2 meters away, with a large coffee table between the sofa and screen.
The thing with Kinetc is that it needs the space between to be clear of obstackles, and I think behind too, thus the space requirements are for me, for example, such that I wouln't be able to play Kinect without the hassle of moving some heavy furniture every time. Move doesn't need it, then again it doen't track your full body.

I play about 1.5 - 2 meters away, with a large coffee table between the sofa and screen.
The thing with Kinetc is that it needs the space between to be clear of obstackles, and I think behind too, thus the space requirements are for me, for example, such that I wouln't be able to play Kinect without the hassle of moving some heavy furniture every time. Move doesn't need it, then again it doen't track your full body.

I have a couch behind me while playing kinect. Doesn't seem to affect it .

Do they have any kind patented ToF(or similar) 3D camera technology like Canesta or Primesense? Seriously I don't know.

Evidently the story was first leaked by NY Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/30/technology/30chip.html?_r=1

From an VentureBeat article from last year here are some software players...

Softkinetic
GestureTek
Sixense

http://venturebeat.com/2009/02/21/sources-confirm-microsoft-is-buying-3dv-systems/

Tommy McClain

Well Sony, Panasonic, and I think Phillips have most of the production 3D equipment sewn up. Not sure how well that translates to the consumer level though. It's really the software IP that MS is after, where again Sony is a big player at the production level and again I'm not sure how well that translates down to the consumer level.

My guess is that either MS has a big advantage and they're trying to corner the IP or they've come late and they're scrambling to stay from getting shut out of IP.

I assume the production 3D equipment you're talking about is for stereo 3D filming like for TV & movies? The 3D camera technology that Microsoft got with Canesta, 3DV Systems & their license with Primesense is for 3D depth sensing or time-of-flight use. I don't think there many companies left that have that kind of IP or patents for that purpose. Wikipedia shows PMDTechnologies & MESA Imaging but those companies are targeting more of the industrial grade uses than consumer.

With that said I think you're last sentence sums up the reasons for the purchase. But considering Microsoft already has licensed the Primesense tech for Kinect, I don't see how adding Canesta's IP is necessary to bolster the Kinect technology. So I'm more apt to believe the former rather than the latter. Microsoft are probably wanting the tech more for PC/desktop use than console use & don't want anybody else to have it. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried buying Primesense too.

Tommy McClain

With that said I think you're last sentence sums up the reasons for the purchase. But considering Microsoft already has licensed the Primesense tech for Kinect, I don't see how adding Canesta's IP is necessary to bolster the Kinect technology.
MS is always proactively aggressive with whatever they understand has huge future potential in the market. They try to move lots of steps ahead before it materializes to secure that they are the only ones that will enjoy the goods and control that specific market when it finally comes to fruition. They dont want anyone else to have the ability to compete when that happens. And when they can offer something similar it will be too late

With that said I think you're last sentence sums up the reasons for the purchase. But considering Microsoft already has licensed the Primesense tech for Kinect, I don't see how adding Canesta's IP is necessary to bolster the Kinect technology. So I'm more apt to believe the former rather than the latter. Microsoft are probably wanting the tech more for PC/desktop use than console use & don't want anybody else to have it. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried buying Primesense too.

Tommy McClain

It's interesting to consider that MS may be less interested in putting up roadblocks to slow down Sony and Nintendo both of which have some sort of 3D motion controls than they are in trying to cut off Apple.

Motion controls with regards to home computers would be a major bullet point they can use to potentially make Windows more attractive than OSX in some useage cases. Especially if they can successfully integrate it into Media Center and then have a new Media Center push for the living room. Their last push in that area didn't fare too well. But if they can do with Media Center what they were able to do with Windows Home Server, then OEMs pushing a controller free Media Hub/Set top box might be pretty attractive.

If that were the case, denying your competitors access to the technology for controller free experiences becomes that much more of an advantage. At one end of the spectrum you can keep it for yourself. At the other end of the spectrum you can license it for a stable revenue stream.

Regards,
SB

It is a matter of statistics and logistics. If done right, there is very little emotion, optimism/pessimism involved.

Back