The next big one in Northern Calif.

Just move away from Cali. But leave all the starlets there, so I can have some fun when I take over :devilish:

Seriously, wouldn't like to live in an area with many earthquakes.

Eh, its worth living here even with the Earthquakes.

I waiting for the big one to hit so LA turns into the real life version of what it was in Escape From LA.

Snake and I will ride the Tsunamis :D

Well, the odds are definitely in your favor. I lived in Cali for about 30 years all told, and the biggest one I was pretty close to was 6.1 (that was plenty exciting enuf for me, thankyouverymuch).

Of course it can suck pretty mightly if you do roll snake-eyes odds-wise.

I think anything over 7 is a big quake. 7.8 is almost monstrous the way I think of them. I go for 8 for that designation. I don't know about all your hip bone connections theory geo unless it is on the same plate boundary.

Well, a 5.8 in LA, but that's not all that close to 7.0 given the nature of the scale.

I was in a hardware store about three miles from the epicenter when it hit. It actually didn't feel that bad. I estimated a 5.0, if it was close. I didn't find out the epicenter for a bit afterwords as cell phone coverage went out. Hmm, I think I just felt a very small aftershock as I type this.

Fires, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornados, and volcanoes.

Then Bush says "God Bless America". If that's what being blessed is about I am glad I live in blessless Europe !

Last edited by a moderator:
Fires, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornados,hurricanes and volcanoes.

Then Bush says "God Bless America". If that's what being blessed is about I am glad I live in blessless Europe !
You have never been in Italy then!

Where are you staying at in the city? Have you made it to Twin Peaks yet? If you haven't then I recommend it when it's not so foggy during the night. You can see a great view of the skyline, the Bay Bridge, and Golden Gate Bridge.

Also if you're into parks at all Golen Gate PArk is a bit big, little touristy but most people that go there are residents of the city.

Marin Headlands are beautiful. And Muir Woods is spectacular if you wish to check out the redwoods, but you can find even bigger ones farther up north. And check out Sonoma Valley or Napa Valley, they are gorgeous. Plus wine tasting is ancie way to spend a weekend day away from town.

LOL, did not mean to hijack the thread. Welcome to San Francisco!

I miss SF. I will be coming in to Folsom which is where I am from originally end of this month. Hopefully I will be going to SF for a visit. Love that place! Dont want to live there but i dont mind visiting.

The most likely fault to give in NorCal soon is the Hayward fault, I live about 13 miles from it, and it registered quakes in the 4.x range recently. The thing about the Hayward fault is this: it is very similar to the fault in Japan's Kobe earthquake (6.9), which killed 5,000, and Japan had very well engineered buildings.

Kobe shook for over 1 minute long, and the Hayward fault has done the same in the past. A repeat of the 1868 Hayward quake would devastate this area. I would really suggest that if you live in the South or Earth Bay, you get straps to hold down heavy furniture, and safety cables for stuff that's hanging, and don't put heavy shit on high up shelves.

The last time the Hayward fault burped a few months ago, it really hit home how vulnerable I am, and with two small kids, and I went out and reinforced some dangerous stuff in my house, like my hugely heavy steelcase bookshelves, and hanging 120" projection screen (75lbs). Could easily kill not only me, but my kids if it came down.

I'm waiting for a New Madrid or Wabash 6.x, or mebbe the caldera will pop out Colorado way. That would fix everything.

Back