The next big one in Northern Calif.

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Anyone been following the Reno quakes the last couple weeks? And today a 5.2 about 200 miles north of Sacramento. My gut is telling me "a big one" is coming somewhere from Monterey north this summer. . . say 7.0+

Anyone been following the Reno quakes the last couple weeks? And today a 5.2 about 200 miles north of Sacramento. My gut is telling me "a big one" is coming somewhere from Monterey north this summer. . . say 7.0+
I did hear/read something about it. Really hope people are taking precautions. Never too late to make sure that you have food/water, batteries, first aid kit, flashlights... in your home and in your car.

Plus you never know when zombies will attack.

Quakes come in clusters; dunno about zombies. Care to make a bet on a 7.0+ quake east of the San Francisco bay, west of Utah, south of Canada, and north of Baja before Oct 1 this year? :smile:

Quakes come in clusters; dunno about zombies. Care to make a bet on a 7.0+ quake east of the San Francisco bay, west of Utah, south of Canada, and north of Baja before Oct 1 this year? :smile:
Sigh, Im scheduled to be in the san francisco area around august 17th.

Heh. In California, the natives call hot/dry "Earthquake Weather". Hot/dry in California usually peaks around. .. oh. . . the middle of August. :p :devilish:

Heh. In California, the natives call hot/dry "Earthquake Weather". Hot/dry in California usually peaks around. .. oh. . . the middle of August. :p :devilish:
Good to know, will make sure to skip on hotel room and instead will sleep in car in the middle of a parking lot. :p

I'll take you up on that, and I'll even give you 2:1 odds. :D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080501/ap_on_re_us/california_quake

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - A moderate earthquake shook a mountainous area near Bakersfield, Calif., early Thursday, just hours after a quake some 230 miles to the southeast.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 4.4-magnitude quake struck at 1:11 a.m. and was centered 12 miles south-southeast of the resort town of Lake Isabella and 35 miles east-northeast of Bakersfield.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

Stephanie Canning said she was the only one in the Lake Isabella bar where she works who felt the quake.

"I was sitting there and I saw the karaoke box shake, and I felt the ground move about three times," she said.

The quake hit barely four hours after a 4.2-magnitude temblor outside of Palm Springs.

Reno is an additional 420 miles north/northeast of Bakersfield.

/me starts humming "whole lot of shakin' going on".

Tho I wish I'd defined my area better. I want any 7.0+ offshore quakes within say 100 miles of the CA/Southern Oregon coast, particularly in Northern CA/Southern OR. Don't care about Washington (state) or eastern Neveda tho. I was thinking the SF bay was west most so I'd get the offshore areas that way. Should have looked at a map. Oh well. Definitely been some biggish quakes just off the coast near southern Oregon tho and I originally thought I'd defined that region in rather than out.

One in Illinois recently too. When it comes to earthquakes, I'm very much a believer in the "the hip bone's connected to the thigh bone" theory. Which is to say activity in one part of the world is likely to stir increased activity elsewhere.

You cut out the yellowstone area as well. They have some decent sized quakes there as well.

I personally hope you are wrong though 7 is pretty dang strong. It will happen eventually though.

Of course I'd like to be wrong. And if something cuts loose, there is plenty of room for it be somewhere where it won't do tremendous damage. Say out in the desert east of Palm Springs, or the central valley north of Sacramento, or somesuch.

/me crosses fingers

Back