The Middle Ground Approach: PC, PS4, XB1

Why would a Xbox One owner vote for the PS4 version to look worse than it could? I really don´t get it.

Alot of people derive self worth from the items they own. If you don't have the best console it directly negatively impacts lots of teenagers status among their friends.

The same way its hard to compare different games.
That's why people compare the same game on different platforms.
Where the driver comes in race is how the game performs.

Anyway, it was less about comparing performance of games (although it does work for that also), it was more about the business surrounding games.
Where the publisher stands and wants. They want the best and successful game on both platforms. That is in the games interest (i.e. therefor theirs) not the platform holders.
What the development teams on each multi platform strive for. They want to make the best game they can yet still have to share information with other platforms team.
What the fans of each platform wants, they want to see their game on their platform of choice be the best.

Maybe the PS4 wasn't being pushed early on either? But due to how the XB1 was performing no one second guessed it. Now that it's performing a bit better people are questioning if they are underselling the PS4.

Maybe we cant use those earlier games as a benchmark? Maybe the gap should be bigger, maybe less, maybe the time and effort to even dial up what seems like simple things may just not be worth it for them, when they can be working on bugs and making a start on dlc's etc

Yes, I agree. From the developers' POV, there's little to be gained from bending over backwards to make the PS4 version (or whatever the better console is) much better. But if there are easy wins like cranking a few effects up and adding an extra bit of post, just as quality settings in the engine, then go for it. Minimal effort to provide a 'better' experience, but the game is pretty much the same. Maybe a little extra frame droppage on the lesser box - we had loads of that this gen, so it'd be odd to see devs suddenly start to pursue solid 30/60 fps without letting things slide, especially as the generation ages.

Well said Shifty! I was going to post something very similar, but you saved me some time.
:smile: I would like to add that in some cases the hardware of both machines is adequate to deliver the game as the developer envisioned it. Example Wolfenstein.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine owners of the more powerful machines are going to vote for non-parity and those with the weaker machines are more likely to vote for parity. Just the way it goes.

I don't think any developer should ever only play to the lowest common denominator, then make them match. I didn't like it last-gen (not that I remember many instances of it) and I don't like it now (where we already have many more instances).

I dont see many instances of it in this generation. You have to remember that no machine is ever guaranteed to hit it's highest theoretical performance. Every piece of software is different. There are many different bottlenecks that can cause either system to not utilize all the available Gpu or Cpu resources. Launch games tend to be much less optimized due to lack of experience with hardware and New SDKs.

Since Bungie has succeeded in parity... should all 3rd party developers strive for a more balance / middle ground approach between PS4/XB1? It seems EA is starting to adopt this approach, which Bungie has succeeded at. Does this make for better gaming or better PR?

FYI: I'm starting to see this trend affect PC gaming as well. Minus the higher IQ settings and draw... PC/Console ports are scarily similar in every other aspect (by developer choice?).

This was popular for awhile last gen too until most devs just lowered the resolution on the ps3.

I'm sure at the start while most games are enhanced ports of last gen engines and games it will be easier to reach parity but I bet in year 3 we will see the xbox one fall back to 900p or even lower and the ps4 stay at 1080p.

I just hope they continue to invest in the gulf of power difference between the new generation consoles and pc.

I want them to support the rift , track ir , higher resolution textures and models and so on and so forth.

A 7950 is easily faster than either system and it can be found as low as $200. Over the next year I will expect the x290 performance parts to hit that $200 mark. So it would be a shame if we are hampered by consoles again so quickly in a cycle.

I dont see many instances of it in this generation. You have to remember that no machine is ever guaranteed to hit it's highest theoretical performance. Every piece of software is different. There are many different bottlenecks that can cause either system to not utilize all the available Gpu or Cpu resources. Launch games tend to be much less optimized due to lack of experience with hardware and New SDKs.

There are plenty of cases this generation - just about any EA Sports title is included.

I absolutely do not buy the fact that some cases games will meet the peak of one machine but not the other without intent. These machines are far too similar for that.

Your comment does play into my initial statement of where some people will always prefer parity if they're the owners of the less powerful machine. You're firmly of the belief that an SDK update will narrow and obliterate any performance discrepancy.

Alot of people derive self worth from the items they own. If you don't have the best console it directly negatively impacts lots of teenagers status among their friends.

Are you being serious?
In all my days in highschool noone cared what system anyone was playing.
I have never witnessed or heard any instance of someone being made fun of because of the console they owned in real life. Sure it is constant on the internet, but in life people have so many other things to be bullied over.

Are you being serious?
In all my days in highschool noone cared what system anyone was playing.
I have never witnessed or heard any instance of someone being made fun of because of the console they owned in real life. Sure it is constant on the internet, but in life people have so many other things to be bullied over.
You think? People don't change purely because of the internet. I remember having conversations about the Spectrum and the Amstrad - Bubble Bobble in particular. The Spectrum version was inferior graphically, but you always had the yellow sweet power, so therefore it was sold as better from my friend.

I don't consider myself as being a fanboy, more that I'm a savvy buyer. I had an Xbox 360 last generation and a PS4 this generation. I don't feel loyal to any company. I'm a gamer, I just want to play games on the better machine.

There are plenty of cases this generation - just about any EA Sports title is included.

I absolutely do not buy the fact that some cases games will meet the peak of one machine but not the other without intent. These machines are far too similar for that.

Your comment does play into my initial statement of where some people will always prefer parity if they're the owners of the less powerful machine. You're firmly of the belief that an SDK update will narrow and obliterate any performance discrepancy.

Man, you love to put people in categories. Also I never mentioned anything about any SDK updates. I was specifically talking about both machines being new for developers software and hardware wise. I could give two shits about parity! I am the type of gamer that will own every console of a gen that has games I want to play. You just keep trying to turn this into a vs situation. Also yes the machines are far to similar, but that doesnt work the way you think.
You cant just use all of either machines gpu Alu because it is there in every situation.
You have to have bandwidth to use them. And your point about Ea sports titles isnt really valid they are either 1080p on both machines or 900p. When they are 900p on the Ps4 they usually have a higher grade of MSAA. That is not parity.
One thing you dont seem to understand is that it isnt always financially the best thing to make 3rd party games significantly different between platforms. You keep on believing that everyone that doesnt agree with you is on the opposite side. Some people dont have a side.

Yes, I agree. From the developers' POV, there's little to be gained from bending over backwards to make the PS4 version (or whatever the better console is) much better.

The number of third-party multi platform games far outnumber first party platform exclusive games but from time to time third parties are going to be competing for consumers money with exclusive first parties, e.g. COD/BF against Halo, Tomb Raider against Uncharted.

In such cases, if as a developer you're not really making a huge effort on one console and the first party is, you're likely going to lose the technical battle and if both games are great but one is technically stunning, then I wouldn't want to be the publisher of the third party title.

But for the most part, I agree with you. Throwing in easy to implement improvements, whether it's higher resolution, better framerate, better effects - that are little more than having the engine scaling up, is likely the way this will go. I.e, the same as last gen.

Like in every generation, if you want to see the hardware pushed hard and really see the difference, look to the exclusives, only way to not definitely set yourself up for disappointment.

Publishers priorities are to the game, not the platform.
Hence why platform holders parachute in help, pay for dlc etc

Publishers could also see it as, how many people wouldn't buy a game because it looks substandard compared to the other platform (and probably highlighted in every review), compared to how many would not buy it because it looks to close (or parity) on the more powerful hardware?

To to be clear, I'm coming at this from a publisher/developer's business argument for having your team try as hard as they can. Every game put out competes with other games for consumer's money. You want every possible factor to sell your game. If on a technical level you're not trying as hard as you could and somebody else is, then that could be sufficient reason for Jonny Consumer to get the other guy's product.

All the fanboy crap is irrelevant. Companies aren't run by fanboys. Mostly!

Yea, understand that, but I think the sort of things that would make your game look that much better would be assets and engine design core stuff, both things that would probably be shared across teams.
The sort of things that "We are aiming to make the game(play) the same across all platforms"

Not sure how much scope there would be to make one version of a game that much better than the other.

If they was up against an exclusive that looked and played that much better, their probably better of moving the release date :smile:

My heart agrees with you, my mind just doesn't see it happening.

Yea, understand that, but I think the sort of things that would make your game look that much better would be assets and engine design core stuff, both things that would probably be shared across teams.

Perhaps. Last gen DF reported marginally different texture quality on many games (whether through assets or the rendering pipeline) between 360 and PlayStation 3. I don't think we've really seen that yet (ignoring the differences in gamma) but Xbox One has less system bandwidth and less compute resources to spare and it's hard to believe that this won't bite later in the lifecycle.

It's too early to tell now because nobody is writing anything close to code optimised for the task given the available hardware.

Like in every generation, if you want to see the hardware pushed hard and really see the difference, look to the exclusives, only way to not definitely set yourself up for disappointment.

Publishers priorities are to the game, not the platform.
Hence why platform holders parachute in help, pay for dlc etc

Publishers could also see it as, how many people wouldn't buy a game because it looks substandard compared to the other platform (and probably highlighted in every review), compared to how many would not buy it because it looks to close (or parity) on the more powerful hardware?

Do we really believe this ? The call of duty games on the ps3 were horrible with lower resolution and much less stable frame rates vs the xbox 360 ones. But I don't recall any first party efforts from sony taking away sales from that 3rd party game. Heck halo didn't even take away COD sales.

I just hope this is a short generation because just looking at the next year or two in pc land is getting me excited. Broadwell is amazing and skydale will only be better , ddr 4 , SSD drives have hit 50 cents a gig and we will finally get sub 28nm gpu's next year. The type of console they can make in 2018 or 2019 would blow away this new generation easily. If we are stuck with either of these systems for the 8 years we were stuck with the 360 it will be torture for those of us who like graphical advancements.

I just hope this is a short generation because just looking at the next year or two in pc land is getting me excited.
Incidentally it doesn't sound like you're enjoying your console. I've never met anybody who when enjoying something, wanted it to end quickly :nope:

Incidentally it doesn't sound like you're enjoying your console. I've never met anybody who when enjoying something, wanted it to end quickly :nope:

We just finished playing plants vs zombies about a half an hour ago. Its a good time.

I also really want a new surface pro with skydale to replace my current surface pro but I use and enjoy my surface every day. I'm enjoying the witcher 2 which i'm currently playing through on my pc but I'm still excited for the witcher 3 later this year.

I dunno maybe it was growing up in the 90s and early 2000s where I constantly needed new pc hardware to even play new games. But I remember wanting doom and then getting it only to find that my 386 sx 16 MHz with 2megs of ram could barely play it and then wanting and doing a lot of yard work to afford $400 bucks for another 2 megs of ram to make the experience that much better. But only to find that I needed a 486 to play doom 2 well. Or getting ultima online while I had a 28k modem and then saving to get a 56k modem and then saving to upgrade my riva 128 8 meg card to a NVidia tnt 16 meg card I believe to play the game well on my p2 300mhz machine.

I can go on and on. But right now I love my 7950 it was a great deal at $150 when I grabbed it. But i'm looking forward to the smaller micron stuff for next year when consumer rifts are avalible .

Year after year COD continued to sell at least as well if not better on the ps3 than the previous year dispite any game that sony released.

That's symptomatic of a market in a constant state of growth. I.e. because Microsoft and Sony continue to sell consoles, the market for games gets ever larger. All things being equal a COD title will sell more and more each year. To those who bought it before and those who can buy it now because they are new console owners.

But hey look at sales of Uncharted. Unless those people who purchased it had sufficient disposable income to buy other games, some third party games will have lost sales to Uncharted. The same can be said for every first party exclusive on each platform. Of course Uncharted and COD are different types of games and it could be the core audience are sufficiently different as not cannibalise sales of each other. Mine preferred example is Uncharted vs. Tomb Raider but unfortunately we've been robber of that interesting nextgen sales battle!

I can go on and on. But right now I love my 7950 it was a great deal at $150 when I grabbed it. But i'm looking forward to the smaller micron stuff for next year when consumer rifts are avalible .

Liking different things is normal. What is less normal is wanting something you like to end. The current consoles aren't a year old yet, we'll be living with them for years to come!

Back