The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

I still cant believe its finally coming. The reviews will tear it to shreds, "critics" will make clickety careers out of it. Internet will rise again and belittle everything about it, each subtlety will be laughed at in comments. End will spoiled before release.
But...
But.... there will be little corners in homes where, in the blue glow of TV screens, it will be savoured in pure silence and awe, where each antic of Trico will bring smiles and tranquility .......in places where the voices screaming "Agrooo!" still echo among the walls ! The Last Guardian's magic will not be lost.......

Ah !

I wonder what the actual budget is for this game, whether it's indie level or AAA level. The full retail price suggests a full fledged AAA title but what's been shown looked decisively indie to me. Can't wait to see some reviews.

I wonder what the actual budget is for this game, whether it's indie level or AAA level. The full retail price suggests a full fledged AAA title but what's been shown looked decisively indie to me. Can't wait to see some reviews.

You mean the initial budget they had in mind or the extraordinarily large number that it actually cost Sony to make?

Team Ico was ~40 people at the time of SOTC, and they did not grew when they switched to TLG. Now, the game is made by very small Gen Design and engine work is done by Japan Studios.

We will see the full scope of the development in the end credits.

You mean the initial budget they had in mind or the extraordinarily large number that it actually cost Sony to make?
The initial projected budget, although it was intended for the PS3 at the time so moving to PS4 would have changed quite a bit. The prolonged dev period must have caused a lot of inflation to the budget and it would be a shame to see money wasted on game's core design iterations while not actually making contents for a bigger game. That's why I'm curious to see the net budget on pure content creation.

The prolonged dev period must have caused a lot of inflation to the budget and it would be a shame to see money wasted on game's core design iterations while not actually making contents for a bigger game.

I know this has been discussed here previously but the team was repurposed while they waited for stronger hardware. The actual dev time could have been shorter than what was initially budgeted. We have no way of knowing.

I know this has been discussed here previously but the team was repurposed while they waited for stronger hardware. The actual dev time could have been shorter than what was initially budgeted. We have no way of knowing.
Oh didn't know that, interesting. Guess we'll see soon when the reviews hit.

Team Ico was ~40 people at the time of SOTC, and they did not grew when they switched to TLG. Now, the game is made by very small Gen Design and engine work is done by Japan Studios.

We will see the full scope of the development in the end credits.
Yeah doesn't bode well for production value or grandiose graphics, will certainly temper my expectation.

Yeah doesn't bode well for production value or grandiose graphics

You should not expect AAA production value and grandiose graphics from a Team Ico game, no matter how long they worked on it. Ueda stated that PS4 version hit his original goals, so he did not aim high to make presentation as best as it can be. The team was focused on creating AI for Trico and placing everything in place to make the bond between him and the player strong.

Expect good atmosphere and maybe some surprising gameplay. Ico was focused on harsh minimalism that inspired many devs, while SotC was focused on desolate grand environment and dozen of bosses that made you feel like shit for killing them, which made Ueda into worldwide famous game director.

Soon we will find out what the TLG is really all about.

Back