The Intel Execution Thread [2020]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by BRiT, Jan 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

"For personal reasons".

Somehow I'm hoping the departure was for professional reasons and not personal. We all know what personal tends to be.

Lightman and CarstenS like this.
  2. JasonLD

Regular

Jim Keller was there for long term planning and restructure so I guess this is something we won't find out until 2-3 years later. If Intel manages to right the ship in 2022, that would mean Keller has already done his stuff at Intel before he left.

3. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Keller most likely would have impacted designs 3-5 years down the pipe.

4. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

He does tend to move around a lot. We can speculate endlessly, but it's possible he just got tired of whatever he was doing and decided he'd rather do something else.

5. Leovinus

Newcomer

I'm sure Keller will find something he finds meaningful. Seems the sort of chap to land on his feet. But I do get the distinct impression that big swathes working at Intel aren't exactly happy due to prevailing management practices. Though I haven't made a deep dive into it, so can't make an informed comment about it. I do hope they can refocus however. Competition is good for business, Intel has a lot of good ideas and good people, I only hope they can work their way through the current muddle.

With Foveros reaching production, and 10nm getting better and better, I'm hopeful for the future.

6. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Francois says he has verified, it is indeed for a severe medical condition within Keller's family:

7. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

8. Leovinus

Newcomer

Of course he'll never read this, but I truly wish him and his family the best. Whatever the hardships ahead.

9. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

Argh great Intel has just announced a 6m delay on 7nm, and their yields are a whole year behind their expectations.

Intel is toast.

10. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

Okay it's way worse than I expected; Intel is seriously considering outsourcing to TSMC, and they're doing it for PVC already.
    B-Bravo Intel?

digitalwanderer, egoless and Lightman like this.
  11. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Outsourcing to TSMC means they may have solved (some of the) whatever "corporate pride" issues they had.
    For sure a change of paradigm for them, but one that reduces risks going forward

milk likes this.
  12. yuri

Regular Newcomer

Ponte Vecchio is really not using Intel's 7nm but (most probably) TSMC. It still remains scheduled on 2021/2022.
    First Intel 7nm-based product is arriving on 2022/2023. Granite Rapids (?) initial production seems to be H1 2023.

Not good. But still, as long as they can hit high frequency targets they are fine - look at their 14nm servers selling as hotcakes.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...el-intc-q2-2020-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

Lightman and BRiT like this.
  13. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

The worst thing to me is the rumored power struggle inside Intel (see latest adoredtv video). If the troops are not in order, they won't recover soon...

Now, they have still a s...load of money and assets, but they won't be able to ride this for ever without scaling down some activities.

digitalwanderer, Lightman and BRiT like this.
  14. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

It ain't rumored lol.
    Yeah but those are worthless by themselves, see Intel mobile push.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  15. seahorsesaw

Intel should've taken a lesson from one of their founders and stayed paranoid.

16. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Any chance someone can do something about the AMD PR bot? It's getting boring and uninformative.

To clarify, a lot of the verbiage seems to be a verbatim regurgitation of anon posts at RWT.

#36 nutball, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  17. Bondrewd

Veteran Newcomer

They are; at least some teams are.
    But it all dies in layers upon layers of corporate politics, that long went past the usual IDC vs the world.

18. seahorsesaw

A 6 month delay to 7nm doesn't seem that big though, or maybe Intel is 'sandbagging'?

19. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

6 months delay but 12 months behind what they are expecting yield wise ? If 7nm is another 10nm, it's very bad...

digitalwanderer and Lightman like this.
  20. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Seems to me TSMC lucked into a discovery which made ASML's EUV into something other than a money pit ... everyone else ended up just subsidizing them as a result.

Reflects far worse on ASML than on Intel.