The Intel Execution Thread [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"For personal reasons".

Somehow I'm hoping the departure was for professional reasons and not personal. We all know what personal tends to be.

Jim Keller was there for long term planning and restructure so I guess this is something we won't find out until 2-3 years later. If Intel manages to right the ship in 2022, that would mean Keller has already done his stuff at Intel before he left.

He does tend to move around a lot. We can speculate endlessly, but it's possible he just got tired of whatever he was doing and decided he'd rather do something else.

I'm sure Keller will find something he finds meaningful. Seems the sort of chap to land on his feet. But I do get the distinct impression that big swathes working at Intel aren't exactly happy due to prevailing management practices. Though I haven't made a deep dive into it, so can't make an informed comment about it. I do hope they can refocus however. Competition is good for business, Intel has a lot of good ideas and good people, I only hope they can work their way through the current muddle.

With Foveros reaching production, and 10nm getting better and better, I'm hopeful for the future.

Argh great Intel has just announced a 6m delay on 7nm, and their yields are a whole year behind their expectations.

Intel is toast.

Outsourcing to TSMC means they may have solved (some of the) whatever "corporate pride" issues they had.
For sure a change of paradigm for them, but one that reduces risks going forward

Ponte Vecchio is really not using Intel's 7nm but (most probably) TSMC. It still remains scheduled on 2021/2022.
First Intel 7nm-based product is arriving on 2022/2023. Granite Rapids (?) initial production seems to be H1 2023.

Not good. But still, as long as they can hit high frequency targets they are fine - look at their 14nm servers selling as hotcakes.

We will continue to invest in our future process technology road map, but we will be pragmatic and objective in deploying the process technology that delivers the most predictability and performance for our customers, whether that be on our process, external foundry process, or a combination of both. Our advanced packaging technologies, combined with our disaggregated architecture, give us tremendous flexibility to use the process technology that best serves our customers. As an example, our data center GPU design, Ponte Vecchio, will now be released in late 2021 or early 2022, utilizing external and internal process technologies, combined with our world-leading packaging technologies. We now expect to see initial production shipments of our first Intel-based seven-nanometer product, a client CPU, in late '22 or early '23.
https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...el-intc-q2-2020-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

The worst thing to me is the rumored power struggle inside Intel (see latest adoredtv video). If the troops are not in order, they won't recover soon...

Now, they have still a s...load of money and assets, but they won't be able to ride this for ever without scaling down some activities.

Any chance someone can do something about the AMD PR bot? It's getting boring and uninformative.

To clarify, a lot of the verbiage seems to be a verbatim regurgitation of anon posts at RWT.

Last edited:
Seems to me TSMC lucked into a discovery which made ASML's EUV into something other than a money pit ... everyone else ended up just subsidizing them as a result.

Reflects far worse on ASML than on Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back