The hugely scientific console reliability poll

How reliable is your hardware

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Early this year I got some free promotinal download for Frogger and it ate my launch 360, Best Buy warranty got me a new one and it is kicking fine along side the Wii and the PS3.

I own PS3 with no problems whatsoever.
My Wii has locked up a couple of times (not during gameplay), but detaching the power cable has brought it back alive.

My PS3 is on 24/7 and has been since launch day. Not one problem yet.

I'm on my second 360, the first died after two days. This one has only crashed once but has chewed up a few discs.

i own a ps3

the only problem is with motorstorm. for two times when the race is about to start (in online) the game locks up. The game is instable with the bluetooth headset i have.

Nothing else locks it, so i deduce its software related.

aside from that, the machine is a war tank.

360s had more time to fail than PS3 or Wiis.

My answer would have been different last year. Now I have two dead and one minor issues to add to the list. Compared to one perfectly working last year.

Edit: In other words all of what dobwal said!

Yes to you and Dobwal. When I mentioned, "U...talking about rates", was bringing up the futility of talking rates at all (rates hadn't been mentioned until you mentioned them). It is much too early to speak rates, for we may never have good enough information. But there is enough info to make a half-assed comparison of the first .6years in the three consoles lives, even if the first .6years have no bearing on the future.

From what I have read the 360 fails more frequently in this time span than the Wii or PS3. My mention new numbers will come out over time I mean of PS3 or Wii failures in the first .6years. Unless Sony or Nintendo are doing a good job of supression we can bet that there isn't an early failure problem comparable to the 360's.

Ah here we go. I have finally found a place where people can talk about anything without the naggin from "you know who's."
On the other hand I have the PS3 which even I say doesn't have a whole lot to it as of now. But I had to make a- well... money saving choice. PS3 is the closest I can get to having a PC that plays games. Haven't had any problems yet other than gettin mad that the browser for it doesn't have Flash 8 or 9. I also hope it doesn't break on me. I only buy 1 console every 6 years or so. Thats just how it works for me. (My last console being the PS2. I did own a N64 before that. And 1 game: Perfect Dark....) I like all the systems that have come out. but boy do I have some friends with history on gaming. even when the 360 launched we had quite a time with his 360. but enough about that. Anyone have a PS3 that has died recently?

Had my xbox360 for about a year. Got the rings of death last week, so when to new one. But while I had the old one i played it all the time so I got some decent value...

Well, Shifty, there ya go. Need any more evidence that polls themselves alter the very population you intend to sample?
It doesn't matter in this case because the poll is public, and we can measure if there's a huge influx into the B3D populace that'll skew the results (people registering just to say 'my console died and I'm really miffed, which isn't necessarily the case with The_Con-Sept who said that this is a place where people can talk about anything. which isn't the case at all as The_Con-Sept hasn't voted!). It represents a fair poll of the sample populace of however many gamers choose to vote, and it records faultless hardware alongside faulty hardware, so gives a relative figure, rather than just recording negatives or positives. It isn't perfect, but it does fairly show that XB360 has a far higher fault rate than the other two. And the other poll gives us a comparison to the normal sort of failure rate for consoles to compare faults over time. Let that one fill up with some votes and we'll see if after the first 18 months, XB360 is still over the average for hardware failure rates.

We should also capture the amount of times that the individual consoles have been replaced... if the average person that has replaced his 360 has done so more than once, than it would be nice to have that sort of info... things might be even worse than they seem on the poll

Strange how an influx of votes have changed the 360 ratio since yesterday, maybe these new folks have better luck ;)

We should also capture the amount of times that the individual consoles have been replaced... if the average person that has replaced his 360 has done so more than once, than it would be nice to have that sort of info... things might be even worse than they seem on the poll
Two reasons not to :
1) Replacements may be (and are indeed extremely likely to be, given refail rates) refurb's which doesn't indicate failure rate of new units.
2) Polls only allow checkbox answers!

Two reasons not to :
1) Replacements may be (and are indeed extremely likely to be, given refail rates) refurb's which doesn't indicate failure rate of new units.
2) Polls only allow checkbox answers!

Too bad you can't group the polls. The percentages are all screwed up. So far 76 people have voted in relation to the 360 (well there are 76 votes). 34% have had a 360 die, 57% have no problem, and 9% have had some issues.

It represents a fair poll of the sample populace of however many gamers choose to vote, and it records faultless hardware alongside faulty hardware, so gives a relative figure, rather than just recording negatives or positives. It isn't perfect, but it does fairly show that XB360 has a far higher fault rate than the other two.

Again it doesnt, its anything but fair. If you wanted a reliable comparison then you should of done a poll where only those Xbox 360 owners who had their units die in the first 5-6 months voted rather then including the ones that died last week/yesterday/five seconds ago. They have nothing to do with showing how they fail more often then anything else. Even then you can generally expect to be talking to much larger user base then the Wii or especially the PS3. All you did is made a thread for people to gather and talk about what broke and with a bias.

Two reasons not to :

Just to expand on that; manufacturer refurbs are tested and are always suppose to meet the same exact requirement as new units going out. This is true with all manufacturer refurbished anything. The problem is though that many places simply do inhouse refurbishing, even the big retailers (gamestop), because they're too cheap to send the units back to microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are some interesting results. The fact that the ratio of voting xbox 360 owners to PS3 owners to Wii owners clash drastically with the real ratio of xbox 360 owners to PS3 owners to Wii owners suggests to me that the poll is being skewed by false data. Since the number of PS3 and 360 voters greatly outweigh that of the Wii voters, it may be possible that the PS3 and 360 results are being artificially inflated, either to make the 360 look good and the PS3 look bad, or to make the 360 look bad and the PS3 look good (though it's likely a combination of both).

As for my votes, I have a 360 without any issues (except for it being annoyingly loud), and a PS3 with minor issues (the controller loses sync with the console every so often). I know one person who had a 360 die (out of 6 people), and I know no one who has had a PS3 die (out o 2 people).

It doesn't matter in this case because the poll is public, and we can measure if there's a huge influx into the B3D populace...
We don't need an influx to prove my point. A single person that came to B3D, presumably (yes, I'm making an assumption), because of a particular thread title (and possible a search that led to that thread) means your population is influenced by what you are trying to measure. That is no way to gather statistics!

It represents a fair poll of the sample populace of however many gamers choose to vote...
Sure, the poll may be fair within that sample, but I can't beat this one hard enough... your sample is crap! If you don't even attempt to get a decent sample, you can't begin to draw conclusions outside of that sample. All you can say with certainty is that here, on B3D, for people that likely own on of these consoles, and that feel like voting in a poll made about them, the 360 is getting a lot more votes for failures than the others. That's it. You can't even do your "relative" thing because of the inertia, which I explained well enough in the other thread.

It isn't perfect, but it does fairly show that XB360 has a far higher fault rate than the other two.
No, it doesn't. Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure that is the case, and I'm pretty sure at least some of the results of this poll are due to that reality, but this poll in itself really can't do anything to substantiate that. It's just another anecdotal statistically invalid poll. One among dozens.

Does the Xbox 360 have a higher than normal failure rate? All likely hood yes it does, Microsoft's actions show this. Does this poll give any idea at all of the failure rate? No, the "data" collected in this thread is completely useless towards any real conclusion.

Does this poll give any idea at all of the failure rate? No, the "data" collected in this thread is completely useless towards any real conclusion.

This poll shows perfectly fine that the Boxes are breakin left and right. People always assume that everybody want's to vote if their unit has broken and not the other way around. I know for a fact that we have people here who have had unit(s) broken, but haven't voted. Perhaps there are also people who don't want this number to rise? and not just people who do? It's "funny" how these small size polls never screw the numbers towards the lower end. I have yet to see a poll that shows 3% broken X360 units anywhere...

The fact that the ratio of voting xbox 360 owners to PS3 owners to Wii owners clash drastically with the real ratio of xbox 360 owners to PS3 owners to Wii owners suggests to me that the poll is being skewed by false data.

Not necessarily. It may also mean that the data is "correct" but the B3D posters do not agree with the consumption preferences of the general population (e.g., fewer Wii owners among techheads -- for now -- compared to worldwide audience).

However I agree that the duration of "existence" may be a factor... *if* the failure rate has not stablized yet (i.e., as time goes by, proportionally more PS3s, Wiis, or even Xbox 360s may fail). Might be interesting to take another snapshot end of the year.

This poll shows perfectly fine that the Boxes are breakin left and right. People always assume that everybody want's to vote if their unit has broken and not the other way around. I know for a fact that we have people here who have had unit(s) broken, but haven't voted. Perhaps there are also people who don't want this number to rise? and not just people who do? It's "funny" how these small size polls never screw the numbers towards the lower end. I have yet to see a poll that shows 3% broken X360 units anywhere...

So 20%+ units are breaking? You realize that if that was truly the case then Microsoft would have a massive amount of lawsuits regarding the issues that would have already be done with. If the number was truly 20% Microsoft would have changed the design the next DAY. You simply do not continue to manufacturer something such as this where your baseline loss matters incredibly if you're having issues with 20% of what is produced.

Funny how the poll does not realisticy show the actual owner ship numbers of the consoles. Since when have more PS3's sold than Xbox 360's? How about the Wii, by these numbers it must be the ultimate failure. Sony is magically only with a 1%~ defect rate? Nintendo with even less? These numbers show nothing at all. Unless you take a reasonable sample space (10,000 units... maybe) then you're not going to get a honest hint at the truth of the real numbers.

Back