The Complete List of PC Ray Traced Titles with Classification

I can haz raytracing question:
ray-traced shadows and ray-traced reflections are talked about like they are somehow separate from ray-tracing this makes no sense to me maybe thats because I'm looking at it from the pov of physics and not computer graphics
If you ray-trace you know where the rays are, and if you know where the rays are you also know where the rays are not and shadows are just where the rays are not. Reflections, we see things for 2 reasons they either emit light or they reflect light . If your rays didnt reflect the only things visible would be light sources where the rays have a direct path from light source to camera.

I can haz raytracing question:
ray-traced shadows and ray-traced reflections are talked about like they are somehow separate from ray-tracing this makes no sense to me maybe thats because I'm looking at it from the pov of physics and not computer graphics
If you ray-trace you know where the rays are, and if you know where the rays are you also know where the rays are not and shadows are just where the rays are not. Reflections, we see things for 2 reasons they either emit light or they reflect light . If your rays didnt reflect the only things visible would be light sources where the rays have a direct path from light source to camera.
sry but i couldnt help myself

my general experience while playing not searching for effect is is RT GI is a big visual improvement , reflections are nice and I generally struggle to see the improvements to shadows

If you ray-trace you know where the rays are, and if you know where the rays are you also know where the rays are not and shadows are just where the rays are not.

That’s true if you’re tracing direct lighting e.g. RTXDI. Most games do not. Otherwise you still need to draw shadows separately. You can do that the old fashioned way with shadow maps or with RT.

Reflections, we see things for 2 reasons they either emit light or they reflect light . If your rays didnt reflect the only things visible would be light sources where the rays have a direct path from light source to camera.

Reflections seem to get special treatment because they require more precision to produce a convincing effect. So you end up casting more rays and running more accurate shading on highly reflective surfaces compared to diffuse GI.

If you were running a pure path tracer then you get reflections and shadows for “free” but nobody is doing that.

UE5 though so who even knows what they mean by that at this point.
More on that from Nvidia's blog:
Rebuilt in Unreal Engine 5, Until Dawn also offers PC gamers the opportunity to further enhance fidelity with ray-traced reflections and ray-traced ambient occlusion effects.

Silent Hill 2 launched with ray traced reflections and lighting (Hardware Lumen).

Unitl Dawn Remake launched with ray traced reflections and ambient occlusion.

They don't really work though.
Raytracing works, even if only later in the game. After leaving the start area, the settings are then adopted

Also.

Last edited:
Also, Ray Reconstruction can be modded in Silent Hill 2 Remake for a big image quality boost.
Any idea if the performance hit we are seeing there is because maybe they are only replacing 1 other denoiser or because it's a mod? It does really clean up all that fizzling noise though, although the newspapers on the windows is having an issue.

Also, Ray Reconstruction can be modded in Silent Hill 2 Remake for a big image quality boost.

The RR makes a pretty significant difference in visual fidelity, at about a 15-20% performance cost... It's not like Silent Hill is a twitch shooter, so it's probably worth it...

Back