The Complete List of PC Ray Traced Titles with Classification

It's not like every little particle light source is allowed to cast (long range) shadows.

Sure but I wouldn’t expect single bounce RTXDI to be that much more expensive than “classic” single bounce RT shadows even for a small number of lights. RTXDI has the benefit of spatial and temporal sample reuse so you would expect the number of actual rays cast per pixel to be similar or lower. The extra overhead is all of the fancy light selection, sample caching and sample integration math.

It’s more curious since I’ve seen quite a few folks mention that the RTXDI IQ difference is negligible in some scenes which sorta makes sense for a small number of lights.

I think this is the first game to sport both RT shadows and RTXDI (better RT shadows) so I really hope DF digs into what’s happening there. The performance difference doesn’t make sense.

There may not be full ray tracing in Star Wars Outlaws, but Ray Reconstruction is completely convincing for the first time ever. The results are absolutely impressive, because without "RR" the game simply looks significantly worse - and in several respects. The denoisers used by the game, which DLSS Ray Reconstruction replaces, simply don't seem to be particularly good. DLSS RR looks better in all situations.

Without RR, for example, many small shadows are completely lost in the denoiser, which are displayed completely and correctly with the Nvidia-exclusive technology. In addition, reflections are now clearly visible; without DLSS RR they are quite muddy in the game. And last but not least, many surfaces that have reflections of any kind often show significantly more details (not in the reflections, but the surfaces themselves) that the game's own denoiser cannot capture and therefore does not display at all.

But that's not all: the game's own denoiser sometimes has difficulty calming down the fired ray tracing rays, which results in a visible noise effect. Ray Reconstruction does not have this problem; here the image is completely calm. This is even more noticeable when using RTXDI. The game's own denoiser does not seem to be able to cope with RTXDI at all; here half the image often flickers noticeably. DLSS Ray Reconstruction then again has no problem with this.

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, you should definitely activate DLSS Ray Reconstruction regardless of all other settings. If you don't have an Nvidia graphics card, but an AMD or Intel one, you won't be able to enjoy the better graphics. You'll have to make do with the game's suboptimal denoiser.

Well. Comparison shots on the internet shows improved shadows and reflections as per usual with ray reconstruction.
If you look at that first screenshot, the shadows which are claimed as missed are actually there at the same edge crispness, just very faint. There is a difference of weight between the two paths, hard to say which is closer to ground truth.

Does the game use contact shadows and RTXDI at the same time? (Really shouldn't, but games don't care that much about physical basedness.)

DLSS Ray Reconstruction in Star Wars Outlaws greatly enhances the quality of RT effects, producing improved details in RT reflections across all resolutions, especially in motion, which results in increased sharpness of reflective materials. The direct and indirect lighting with Ray Reconstruction becomes more responsive, and the quality of the lighting is noticeably more accurate and realistic, greatly improving the overall experience. Also, overall temporal stability and visual clarity on thin objects and other finely detailed items is significantly improved, eliminating distracting artifacts during gameplay. The technology also provides a slight performance boost when combined with "Ultra" RT.

However, there is one noticeable downside in image quality with Ray Reconstruction enabled—it's the ghosting and smearing artifacts on moving NPCs in the distance, which might be a bit distracting for some people.

Important to note is that the DLSS Ray Reconstruction implementation in Star Wars Outlaws is designed to run primarily in conjunction with "Ultra" RT option and/or RTXDI:
  • Enabling DLSS RR on "Low" or "High" RT preset will lead to a massive 20-30% performance drop.
  • Enabling DLSS RR on "Low" or "High" RT preset + RTXDI will lead to a 10% performance drop.
  • Enabling DLSS RR with "Ultra" RT preset will boost your performance by 3-5%.
  • Enabling DLSS RR with "Ultra" RT preset + RTXDI will boost your performance by up to 15% compared to DLSS RR Off.

So RR eliminates some distracting artifacts and adds others? Not really a win.
Depends if the ghosting on distant characters is prevalent or not, for what it's worth, RR is a huge win up close and in medium distances (for light, reflections and shadows), characters ghosting far away could be distracting indeed if it happens frequently or in large sections of the screen, this issue was present in Cyberpunk but was fixed via patches, let's hope the developer does the same here.

Age of Mythology Retold launches out of the blue with ray traced reflections, shadows and ambient occlusion.

Also NBA2K 25 will support ray tracing on PC, releasing on September 6th.

Last edited:
Depends if the ghosting on distant characters is prevalent or not, for what it's worth, RR is a huge win up close and in medium distances (for light, reflections and shadows), characters ghosting far away could be distracting indeed if it happens frequently or in large sections of the screen, this issue was present in Cyberpunk but was fixed via patches, let's hope the developer does the same here.
Are these games updating the BVH at a reduced rate for moving characters in the distance? That would explain the ghosting.

I hate to be that guy, but the footwork is ugly in that video. Just spend twenty seconds watching players feet and you'll see them "floating" and popping between positions and their bodies seem foundationally disconnected from what their feet are actually doing. I can't unsee it, the animations completely break it for me.

I hate to be that guy, but the footwork is ugly in that video. Just spend twenty seconds watching players feet and you'll see them "floating" and popping between positions and their bodies seem foundationally disconnected from what their feet are actually doing. I can't unsee it, the animations completely break it for me.
Animation in these sports games has needed to be the focus for a long time now. This at least fares better than the Madden games.

Personal anecdote time: I have literally zero interest in sports games. Futbol (soccer), NBA, NFL, NHL, and whatever baseball is called at the national league level... Zero interest in them whatsoever. But man, if NBA2k25 is indicative of "good" animation for sports games, JFC I'm sorry for all of you who do enjoy those games :(

Personal anecdote time: I have literally zero interest in sports games. Futbol (soccer), NBA, NFL, NHL, and whatever baseball is called at the national league level... Zero interest in them whatsoever. But man, if NBA2k25 is indicative of "good" animation for sports games, JFC I'm sorry for all of you who do enjoy those games :(

Basketball video games have had that same floaty animation since the 90s. I doubt true fans care. I’m guessing it’s hard to make movement feel weighty without slowing it down and that won’t work for gameplay.

Back