The Big Forza 2 Thread *

I'd vote A or S class, or R4/R3 if you want a pretty fair field. As for tracks, I like Maple Valley, Laguna Seca, and Magello. Either of those would be fine with me.

Almost all my cars gravitate to A class it seems ;-) and I really like those tracks. Maple in particular

So what? high RPM only burns more fuel and make loud sounds YIPPEEE!... In terms of real performance Diesel holds it's own quite fine.

Once you drive a high powered gasoline V8, and start to make it scream (or in my case, start to sound like a spitfire plane) at high RPM's you will understand.

I just don't see getting that kind of exitment out of a diesel engine.

Ofcourse if your just gonna drive your kids to the mall, you have no need for this, but then again, you could just get a prius or the lexus suv hybrid for that.

Once you drive a high powered gasoline V8, and start to make it scream (or in my case, start to sound like a spitfire plane) at high RPM's you will understand.

The speed is more important and I have driven faster 4 cylinder cars than your CLK, not to any disrespect, but it's the truth.

I just don't see getting that kind of exitment out of a diesel engine.

Ofcourse if your just gonna drive your kids to the mall, you have no need for this, but then again, you could just get a prius or the lexus suv hybrid for that

I just can't get that sort of excitement from a slow V8 car, I rather use bikes since they actually are fast, but if it's ok to just cruise along with a V8 that sounds like a old plane then I understand. :smile:

Well Ostepop, that's the one part where I agree with you. A diesel engine doesn't make the same kind of exciting sound, that's for sure. But that doesn't really help you win a race though. ;)

I do, by the way, drive a Prius. :LOL:

I just can't get that sort of excitement from a slow V8 car, I rather use bikes since they actually are fast, but if it's ok to just cruise along with a V8 that sounds like a old plane then I understand. :smile:

I´ll take a slow old Ferrari 308, Testarossa or 348 even if they are only V8´s :)

Bikes, to fast to me, i like to return home to the family ;-)

The speed is more important and I have driven faster 4 cylinder cars than your CLK, not to any disrespect, but it's the truth.

Diesels?

Ofcourse you can tune any car to hell and beat and enzo, what does that have to do with it? A CLK DTM AMG would piss on a Ferrari F430 anyday, i would still take a F430 anyday, because it feels and sounds much more exiting.

I just can't get that sort of excitement from a slow V8 car

Im just curious what kind of car your normally driving, since you think 528hp\600nm on 1650 kg is slow ?

but if it's ok to just cruise along with a V8 that sounds like a old plane then I understand.

Hehe, my car doesn't sound like an old plane until it reaches high rpm. When i just cruise a long i don't hear my engine at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just curious what kind of car your normally driving, since you think 528hp\600nm on 1650 kg is slow ?

I have been under the impression that your CLK is 500, have you bought a new car or am I mistaken badly... Which CLK has 528hp and 600nm BTW?, if those specs are from your car, then I actually haven't driven a faster one :LOL:, I thought your car had 305hp...

I'm driving currently a 180hp Seat Leon, so maybe I should just shut up hahaha.

Ya well occasionally I drive around a rusted to hell 1990 Suburban and, hey, it may not even have 200 hp, but wow does it have a growl to it! Screw the 4 banger rice burners even if they can turn 10K RPM like nothing! ;)

If I wanna go fast, I jump to one of these games or a snowmobile. :)

I have been under the impression that your CLK is 500, have you bought a new car or am I mistaken badly... Which CLK has 528hp and 600nm BTW?, if those specs are from your car, then I actually haven't driven a faster one :LOL:, I thought your car had 305hp...

Its indeed a CLK 500 (W209).

Originally it was a CLK500 with the AMG sportspack (brakes suspension etc).
Then i went to denmark. More specifially to the garage where Kleeman makes Mercedes more fun.
Add a kompressor + new air intakes intercooler etc etc.

And you reach a cool number :)

In fact i think i got a nice sheet from the dyno somewhere, il look it up tomorrow and post it here.

I'm driving currently a 180hp Seat Leon, so maybe I should just shut up hahaha.

Hey, seats are pretty cool cars in my book, except for the whole FWD thing. My old ex had a Cupra R or something like that which was a fun drive

That's the thing though. If you take a diesel to the track, after a while you will see that any (these days small) performance advantage a regular engine has at high rpm is negated by the fact that a diesel engine these days has almost linear power from sub 2000 to the red-line. You can often even use a few less gears. Same sized diesel engines bring more power to the table these days, and in the end, that leads to better laptimes. Combine that with better fuel economy to boost, and I think diesel engines have a bright future even in high-performance racing.

To me, the first eye-opener was testing the BWM 120i versus the 120d.

I'm not sure I agree Arwin. Diesel engines are close, especially due to the amount of torque available at low revs compared to their regular fuel counterparts, but in most cases, they're still behind, especially when the fuel engine is driven properly. If we go further to "high-performance racing", the difference becomes even larger, as diesel engines are not only significantly heavier, but require additional stronger parts to cope with the torque. There's a reason why, i.e. in F1 they go for high-reving, low torque engines.

A higher torque figure is meaningless without taking gearing into account.

And the best thing: Regular fuel engines are so much more rewarding to drive. In daily situations on public roads, this may not be wanted, but you did start about high-performance racing... ;)

In the case of the 120i vs 120d - the former only has around 150hp, while the 120d has at least 160, and can be easily chipped to 200hp. Even though it has less power, the performance times are quite close, even though the diesel has over 100Nm more to boot at much lower revs. It is heavier though.

But that's the point. The diesel does better, while they both are 2.0 liter engines. The diesel engine works more efficiently, and it will get better laptimes. We tested this a bit in GT4 also. ;) (That game has both, as did the BMW GT demo that was released for the 1-series launch in Europe)

Difference may not be so big yet, but who would have expected this to happen 10 years ago?

But that's the point. The diesel does better, while they both are 2.0 liter engines. The diesel engine works more efficiently, and it will get better laptimes.

But arwin this is only because the dieselengine is turbocharged and the gasoline version is NA. It has nada to do with it being a diesel engine. Its because your comparing a turbocharged engine to a normal one with the same amount of sylinders and volume which makes the difference.

But that's the point. The diesel does better, while they both are 2.0 liter engines. The diesel engine works more efficiently, and it will get better laptimes. We tested this a bit in GT4 also. ;) (That game has both, as did the BMW GT demo that was released for the 1-series launch in Europe)

Difference may not be so big yet, but who would have expected this to happen 10 years ago?

I agree, the 120i/120d isn't a case that helps my argument much... then again, the 4 cylinder from BMW isn't exactly cutting-edge either. Also, there might not be an "is" version in the 1 class BMW, but there is one in the 3 series BMW. Both 2 litre engines, the 320is gets around 170bhp. Compared to the 320d, it's quicker too.

And as Ostepop pointed out: The diesel engine is forcefed, the NA isn't. We can look at a 335d vs 335i comparison if you wish though (ff vs ff). 286hp against 306hp... hmm... ;)

When we look at the 6 cylinder versions, as in the 330d vs 330i (230hp vs 258hp), it's the latter that is significantly quicker, eventhough the former has 200Nm more torque available as low as 1750rpm. On the other hand, the diesel will be quicker in in-gear acceleration, though how important is that on a race-track?

When looking at just about any diesel vs regular fuel cars - one thing becomes quite apparent. All in all, the diesel is always around 100kg heavier. For one, it's the heavy engine (which on the other hand gives it good tuning potential), but also heavier/stronger parts from the clutch to the drive-train that needs to cope with the power. In lighter cars, this will become a factor even more so.

And weight is certainly a big factor when it comes to drivability and how well the car corners. You don't want to have more weight than necessary in the engine bay. The diesel is significantly more efficient though, not only in fuel consumption but is also a lot more environment friendly. On the other hand, more torque means higher wear of components which doesn't come cheap...

First official downloadable content is available. It consists of two packs, one of them free of charge.

http://www.xboxic.com/news/3352

The new cars are the North American 2007 Nissan Altima, 2007 Nissan Sentra, and 2007 Nissan 350Z (from the free pack) and the Peugeot 908, which costs 50 MS points.

These are the cars:

sentra4.jpg

altima8.jpg

350z2.jpg

peugeot908.jpg

I tested the Peugeot 908 and the torque is insane! It revs max to 5500 rpm. I didn't mind paying 50 MS points for it. It's fun to drive, has a nice sound and it's the first diesel car and the only R (from 1 to 4) class car you can paint.

Some info on the actual car:

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Peugeot_908_-_Le_Mans_challenger_powered_by_HDi

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3064/Peugeot-908-HDi-FAP.html

Finally, you can win a real Nissan playing Forza:

http://www.destructoid.com/play-forza-2-to-win-a-real-new-nissan-37197.phtml

Ostepop,

Good stuff! :D 528hp\600nm at 1650 kg is a lot of power! You'd surely pull away at the top end easily from me! :smile:

So what? high RPM only burns more fuel and make loud sounds YIPPEEE!... In terms of real performance Diesel holds it's own quite fine.
No, high RPM gives you more power too.
Well Ostepop, that's the one part where I agree with you. A diesel engine doesn't make the same kind of exciting sound, that's for sure. But that doesn't really help you win a race though. ;)
Torque doesn't help you win a race either. Power is the only thing that matters. The reason diesels are better off the line is that when starting from idle, they get near their peak power quickly.

If your racing, though, there's no reason to be driving anywhere near idling RPM.

Ostepop,

Good stuff! :D 528hp\600nm at 1650 kg is a lot of power! You'd surely pull away at the top end easily from me! :smile:
Yeah, lets get nuts in Ostepop's car! ((I'd like to if I would had had the chance, my RL is a bit boring sometimes)

Beautiful car, btw, Mercedes rulez. Thank you for sharing that photo.

Yeah, lets get nuts in Ostepop's car! ((I'd like to if I would had had the chance, my RL is a bit boring sometimes)

Beautiful car, btw, Mercedes rulez. Thank you for sharing that photo.

If your ever near Oslo, Norway (with a valid drivers licence) it let you go for a spin ;)

Tbh, Merc's are good, but they don't rule, atleast not for me. German efficiency and engineering perfection often kills the feel of the car. Which is the case with my CLK.

After the first month of having it, the fun part gradually wore off. Its fun to have a very fast car, but my CLK doesn't feel like a sportcar, It feels like a rocket-fueled tank. Aside from the "fact" that your internal organs are pushed in during full accel, and the amazing engine sound, there isn't much else that feels "fast". The automatic gearbox, the "allways-on-even-if-you-turn-it-off" ESP traction system, the comfort and luxury level, all distances you from the sportcar feel.

It has the merc feel, your relaxed and all that, its nice on trips, but you cannot the exitment of for example a Ferrari from it (even thought, my car is faster than most stock Ferrari's). If all goes well, i will wave bye bye to this car within this month, and get my hands on something new and shiny to have fun with.

I have had some good memories from it thought, specifically when a friend of a friend just bought a Porsche 997 Carrera 4s or whatever, and bragged about how fast it was, and i just said my CLK will rape your car, And it did. :D :D :D

Sorry for the offtopic rant.

Back