The Backwards Compatibility Research Poll

What interest is BC to you?

• Total voters
I really wanted BC and I was angry when Sony skimped on the Euro PS console. I was happy to find that all my games played. Since I bought the PS3 I have bought some PS2 games - such as Tomb Raider Legend, Shadow of the Collossus and God of War 2. I intend to buy Okami.

However, saying that - I have hardly used BC for my past titles. Much less than I thought I would. I think Sony's research in this area was correct. We think we want it, but we don't really use it.

I used it last gen for Grand Theft Auto I and II, Time Crisis and Final Fantasy VII.

I have PS3 40GB with doesn't have BC. Is it importent for me to have BC not really. Would I like to play PS3? Of course but lack BC didn't change my decision about buying PS3. The most importent are PS3 game. I still SONY will enable software BC with PS2 with firmware upgrade. After all it's possible to play PS2 game on PC with emulator.

That's a useful poll.

It made me realise - (I did already suspect!) - that I don't care a great deal about BC. Nice but not essential - like most people I'd imagine.

I was thinking about what games I may play again next gen and, shockingly, I realised that I very rarely finish games (included on the list are Gears, Uncharted, HS, Kameo, Condemned, R&C... the list goes on).

For some context: I have a 60gig PS3 and an Elite.

I didn't have a Xbox and the only last gen game I play on the current gen is Buzz. Oddly enough I've only ever played that on my PS3.

When I got my Xbox360 I used BC to play Black and Halo2. But that was it....now I would not want to go back and play any of the old ones as I have soo many new ones yet to play :)

That's a useful poll.

It made me realise - (I did already suspect!) - that I don't care a great deal about BC. Nice but not essential - like most people I'd imagine.

These are my sentiments too. I really wanted it initially because I already had an investment in my Xbox games. Plus, the fanboy in me wanted it as a bullet point item to counter the PS3 BC. ;) Anyway, what I found was that I became bored with them do to the lack in achievements. Now granted my gamerscore isn't all that impressive, but I do like playing games to get them. So much that I'm no longer interested in them since they don't have them. This is one reason I'm not interested in Xbox Originals and feel that they will fail miserably. Anyway, I still think that BC is great feature and especially necessary when going to the "next-gen". But only if they bring something new to the table. Unfortunately their usefulness is only necessary the first year or so.

Tommy McClain

I didn't play that much PS1 games on PS2; only FFIX, FFVIII and Demolition Racer, I think. However, I'm going to use the BC option more in the future. I still haven't played FFXII, Forbidden Siren 2 and Project Zero III: The Tormented. Plus, now that I have 60GB PS3 I want to see how Silent Hill 3 looks upscaled (when I buy a HDTV). :)

Back